VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you want really good falafel and don't have the time to make your own falafels from scratch, then I would highly recommend frozen falafels from the Al-Safa brand.

You can find this Al-Safa brand in Albertsons grocery stores on the West Coast. I don't know about East, though. Each box of Al-Safa falafel contains 16 frozen patties of falafels and all you need to do is dump them in a vat of hot oil of your choice and deep fry them.

You can also buy falafel mixes from your local Arab/Pakistani/Indian grocery store. Just add water to the mixes, stir, then using the falafel utensil that usually comes with the mixes, you drop a patty into the oil and deep fry it.

Deep frying = the best way to go.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I love falafel. I was most likely the one who kicked VW into its falafel frenzy, bu tI agree that I wasn't too hot on falafel when i first tried it. Then in december, i tried some falafel in Manchester, England, and it tasted brilliant, and it was served with grated carrot and lettuce in a pita, so taht's how I eat mine. I've got a jar of tahini, which i don't like much, and I was wondering how to make tahini sauce for falafel, so if anyone knows, post up the recipe, because I'd love to hear.

P.S. I buy ready made falafel, and I bake it. But I see nothing wrong with deep-frying it. After all, I don't get any saturated fat from meat, and I'm probably healthier because I abstain from meat, so I can eat more deep-fried stuff with less worry!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mmm...falafel!
I use the Fantastic Foods mix. I always have a box on hand. I make patties, since I pan-fry them (not deep fry) and patties are easier to fry than balls. I eat it in a whole wheat pita with lettuce, red pepper, black olives, and roasted red pepper hummus or mustard. I've been meaning to experiment with other filling ingredients. I want to try adding alfalfa sprouts (I've never had sprouts before).

I've never tried the traditinal tahini sauce on falafel, but the next time I have it I'm going to make some. There are recipes for it at VegWeb, the one I think I'm going to try is called "Tahini dressing" and it's listed under Dressings. Don't know if it's meant for falafel or salad or what, but it looks good so I think that's the one I'm going to try. I'll let you know how it turns out, Loki. Oh, and here's another tahini sauce recipe I found: http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/65632.html (scroll down)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Falafels were originally made from fava beans. That was the ancient recipe used in Egypt and Middle East before chickpea-based falafels became popular.. You can still find fava-based falafels in Middle East along with the chickpea-based falafels. So look for fava-based falafel recipes or get fava-based falafel mixes from your local Middle Eastern grocery store.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Thanks for the tahini sauce recipe minibean.

My problem with falafel evangelism is that one of my friends is allergic to chickpeas, and also, my g/f said "Ugh" at the mere mention of chickpeas, and she's never had falafel. It can be so annoying having an omni g/f sometimes. But I'll get her to try some cool veg foods someday!!!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
When do we get to see pictures of your girlfriend Loki? You know that we are all dying to.

All the falafel talk on VegWeb was what got me to try it out finally. I wasn't too impressed at first, but now I eat it often. In fact, I had it for dinner. Thanks Loki!

Someday I might even do something with the quinoa I bought.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

Thanks for the tahini sauce recipe minibean.

My problem with falafel evangelism is that one of my friends is allergic to chickpeas, and also, my g/f said "Ugh" at the mere mention of chickpeas, and she's never had falafel. It can be so annoying having an omni g/f sometimes. But I'll get her to try some cool veg foods someday!!!
Look at my posting about the fava-based falafel.

·
Registered
415 Posts
As soon as I get a recipe for pita bread, I will try my luck at making falafel. You all make it sound so good. I am trying to find a pita recipe tonight so I can eat falafel for lunch.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.