VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm pretty new to vegetarianism- about two weeks so far, and though my appetite has gone down a lot (as well as cravings, which is really nice) I'm still looking for foods that are more filling. I'm really really hesitant to try fake meats, they creep me out for some reason. I'm just wondering on peoples opinions on fake meats? I bought some a few days ago- boca burgers, boca chik'n nuggets, and soy bacon.

I know there are some vegetarians/vegans out there who do not eat fake meats, for you guys, what are some foods you eat that are more filling?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Fake meats are pretty cool, sometimes - it's just that it's very hit and miss. Some can be terrible. I buy canned 'mock duck' made from gluten that is really nice, but expensive and Linda McCartney sausages. My choice of faux meats that are vegan is pretty limited round here so I don't really buy any others, but some that I loved while I was eating dairy & eggs are Quorn Bacon, 'Cauldren Foods' sausages, and beanfeast (a bolognase substitute). The choice where you are will liekly be very different, so I just reccommend you keep trying them until you find ones you really like.

Tofu is a really good one to bulk up almost anything, especially something with a sauce, and I don't class it as a fake meat. Pasta is really filling and is a staple for me, as are red lentils, kidney beans, and chickpeas.

·
Registered
141 Posts
To get full and stay that way for a bit, you'll need fiber and protein. Try a vegetarian chili with lots of cut up veggies- beans, tomatoes, cubed sweet potato, what ever other veggies you have in the fridge and chili spices- then to make it extra filling add some bulgur or couscous. Things like brown rice and quinoa are also filling. Pasta, as isowish mentioned, is also really filling.

I'm not really that big on fake meats, just because they are generally more expensive and I am a college student- but I do like boca burgers, the plain vegan ones. Good in a time crunch, just pop one in the microwave then in a pita pocket with some mustard or hummus and you have lunch!
I definately think if you don't like them though that it is not difficult to be a vegetarian without them, just experiment with things like tofu, TVP, tempeh etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Mmm. I don't know anything about fake meats. My Mom bought some soy dogs, Presidents Choice. They're not great, but I've had a lot worse.

She also makes this really awesome veggie spaghetti sauce. It's got tomatoes, onions, zuchinni, mushrooms, probably carrots too....oh it's SO good! lol you can make it yourself..buy some spicy tomato sauce and add vegetables and other spices and voila! It's great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa, thanks you guys.

I like rice, pasta, and pizza- but I only have these every once in a while. Most of the time I'm having a fruit cup for dinner or something like that, heh. I haven't tried tofu, yet! I'll probably look for some recipes and try it this week.

I'll also have to try that spaghetti sauce.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
potato & corn chowder... mmmmm.... baked potato and a salad, you definately need a starch as part of your meal or you won't feel full.

Tofu is OK, but you have to learn to cook with it. It's not the easiest stuff to get used to, but it can be tasty once you get it down

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome to Vegetarianism Granola!!

I rarely eat fake meats but do on occasion.

Anyways, there are some pretty good recipes for bean burgers out there. I will take a homemade bean burger any day over a commercial veggie burger!!

I second the beans and corn Falafel suggested and also recommend oatmeal, Sweet Potato, and Grean Peas, they are all nutrient dense starches and are very filling.

Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
We do them rarely and sparingly not because the are 'meat' like but because of the fat content. We are only 3% fat a day. I use them as 'seasoning' for something else. They are not designed to add flavor by cooking but by seasoning with them. Example I was working on Sauerkraut, dumplings and hot dogs. The Vegetarian Hot Dogs have to go in last with the dumplings.

We eat a lot of vegetables, way beyond the daily requirement and I try to make sure that things do double duty. I guess because of that I don't stop to think what is more filling. It simply is. It takes some thinking to start but once you get the hang of it? It's easy. I think that applies to whatever diet you choose. Somewhere along the way I threw out the SAD and started getting experimental. It works. So much so the SAD seems quite dull.

It didn't happen overnight. IT took me a solid year to get into the swing of things. It is going to seem strange for a while, honest. Ask. That is the best way to get a feel. I did that a lot the first year. Esp in the Ornish forums since that is our diet. I was lucky. He is very easy to make vegetarian. You'll do fine and you'll get the hang of it. You are asking that is a sure sign.

And I agree on the tofu. Just remember all Tofu is not created equal. When you work with it ask. My sister used the extra firm water packed to make smoothies and she was very unhappy until I showed her the soft. It was an "Oh" moment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again, you guys.

I tried a boca burger earlier and.. it's probably not something I'll be eating on it's own. I agree that it could probably make a great filler. I'm keen on the idea that I probably won't eat mock meats too much, I'm okay with fruits and vegetables. It's just every once in a while I have one of those days where I feel like I need a little more to keep me going. But as as Philocrates said, It's going to take me a while to get used to a vegetarian diet and to find different foods.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, just planty of fruits/veggies/nuts/seeds/whole grains/legumes, etc. and you should be good! : ) I personally dont buy fake meats. Not that I 'disagree' with them, I just dont like most of them and really dont want something that resembles a dead animal. It kinda freaks me out . hehe Congrats on going Veg*an!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey,

I love 'fake' meats - particularly Quorn products. I don't know where you are from but in the UK we have a huge amount of different Quorn stuff which is great if you want to make a quick and easy meal. I am particularly keen on the Grillsteaks and the Sizzlin' burgers. I also use the fake mince (i think that's ground beef or loose meat in the US) to make lasagne, bolognase etc and the Quorn pieces in place of chicken for stir frys etc. My hubby also eats it so the way I see it I'm saving double the animals when I cook these types of things!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I prefer veggies to fake meats any day, but I still eat them sometimes because they're quick and a pretty good source of protien. *shrug*

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Some days a burger and oven fries feel like the perfect meal. I usually make my own bean burger from scratch, but if I don't have beans handy or don't have the time, a boca burger or gardenburger (hamburger flavor) are the way I go.

You might have to try different brands to see what you like, but I see no reason to NOT eat them if you like them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am still expeimenting but I like the Vegie Burger (not sure which brand, but I know the pack) and sanitariam "casserol mince" so far. I didnt like the sanitarium "chicken schnitzal" but it may have been my cooking (I oven baked it and it was kinda mushy).

For an easy meal I like a burger made with vegie burger made with a vegie burger and pommes.

Yum.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I like many of the fake meats. They're convenient and quick. I like to pop a Gardenburger Riblet in the microwave, and chow down.

I've tried making my own veggie burgers. They tend to fall apart. I don't want to start stocking items like Soy Lecithin to hold my bean burgers together.

I eat lots of beans in soups, pastas, curries, chiles, stir frys, etc. But I never try to mold my own veggie burgers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz121 View Post

Hey,

I love 'fake' meats - particularly Quorn products. I don't know where you are from but in the UK we have a huge amount of different Quorn stuff which is great if you want to make a quick and easy meal. I am particularly keen on the Grillsteaks and the Sizzlin' burgers. I also use the fake mince (i think that's ground beef or loose meat in the US) to make lasagne, bolognase etc and the Quorn pieces in place of chicken for stir frys etc. My hubby also eats it so the way I see it I'm saving double the animals when I cook these types of things!
Have you tried the Quorn Peppercorn Steaks? So yummy!

Love the mince for tacos, burritos, pasta sauce... so many options!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts