VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a different type of veggie burger today and it seemed disturbingly "meat" like (the package even says "looks and tastes like meat). It's been a decade since I ate meat, so I can't be too sure, it's just it seemed quite real (I had one on a bun with tomato, onion, lettuce, and soy cheese..... all I had to do was imagine a pimply-faced teenager asking me if I want fries with it and I could have imagined myself to be at McDonalds).

I've also had a vegan "chicken" pie and that seemed much too real (but again, I haven't had chicken flesh in a decade).

I much prefer the veggie burgers that aren't so "meat" like..... a favourite of mine is made from grains and veggies and it is obvious.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've bought some veggie meat slices that taste nothing like meat. Same with the veggie burgers. I definitely like a more spicy, herby, veggie flavour. But I usually end up putting BBQ sauce on everything.

One time, I bought these chick'n burgers, but I forget the brand. They tasted exactly like a McChicken! And they had the same texture as that ground up chicken pulp and they were breaded. They were actually pretty good. The benefit of these is that you can feed them to omnis without listening to them whine.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I am the same way - I stopped eating meat because I genuinely don't like it - hamburgers especially. So when the fake meat resembles the real meat too much - I become suspicious. I went to TGI Fridays one time and ordered a veggie burger. It looked so much like an actual hamburger that I made the server go and double check that it was indeed a veggie burger. I like morning star farms veggie burgers the best because you can see and taste the actual chunks of vegetables.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I hear ya. Like the boca burgers and stuff. I didnt eat hamburger type stuff when I was omni so I preferred the actual veggie patties but they do not have vegan ones so I tried the boca burgers but they taste to much like hamburger so I eat em at bbqs but thats about all. I do however like the fake pepperonis, jerkys, tofu pups, and tofurkey is to die for. Although sometimes I get paranoid that it is a big fat omni conspiracy and they mislabeling real meat as veggie.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 46 avocados

Although sometimes I get paranoid that it is a big fat omni conspiracy and they mislabeling real meat as veggie.
Like that time at Denny's when I actually sent the veggie burger back! I thought it was real meat. My omni boyfriend couldn't even tell for sure.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It is amazing how realistic some of these meat analogs can be. The veggie burger at Ruby Tuesday's is very realistic but 100% vegan. A friend of mine checked because it seemed too "meat like." but, we both really enjoyed it. It had a good grilled taste. The one thing that sets it apart from meat is the lack of grease. That's the thing I'd hate about a real hamburger...the grease. Oh, and it didn't have any yucky gristly pieces in it!
I think the texture was just different enough that it was okay. Also, having been many years without meat, I'm sure we forget a little what it was like. I often ask omni friends how realistic a fake meat is to them just to get a gauge on it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I used to live off fake meat but now it seems weird to eat them. I just don't like the taste anymore. But I know of lot of omnis who eat veggie burgers and other soy products, so it's a good way to make people less afraid of vegetarian food.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i once ordered a veggie burger when i was in canada, and i couldn't tell if it was beef or not, i asked the waitress 3 times and i still thought it was meat, but it wasn't. i don't really liek fake meats, but still eat them, just makes life easier at times.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
One time, when I was brand new to veg, I got some burgers that can't remember the name of now but would know the lable if I saw it. They looked like the real thing and everything but were "loaded" with grains and veggies (according to the ingred's list), so I thought "what they hey" and got them. That night, I cooked one up and OMG! It tasted so much like hamburger (texture and everything) that I ended up gurping for the rest of that night. Literally.

I hate hamburger, even back when I was omni and this stuff was no better. All that was missing in this thing were the "mystery hunks" floating around, but it was enough to gag me out. I haven't tried anything else except for the hot dogs which are almost decent except that I'm not a real dog lover so it was still it's own chore kakking it down (even after I put tons of pickles, tomatoes, mustard, kraut....).

I went veg to avoid eating meat and I almost can't stand the alt's either.

Give me a falafel over a gardenburger any day. At least I know what that is.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
health is wealth buffallo wings taste JUST like frikkin chicken! I emailed the company and asked if it was fried with the chicken (they said no of course).

Gardenburger herbed chick'n patties, when put btween two mini pitas with ketchup and lettuce taste just like a BK real burger, like I used to get

Gardenburger riblets taste JUST like my dad's ribs

Light life pepperoni tastes a lot like pepperoni to me.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Fake meat - I like it, but I have actually been suspicious that some of the fake meat i've eaten in the past is real.

So I don't eat a great deal of it, though I do eat veggie bacon slices, linda mccartney sausage rolls, and a few others that are nice. But other than that, give me falafel. I was actually thinking that it'd be a cool idea to have a falafel burger, get falafel paste, and make it into a burger patty. Then you put carrot, lettuce and tahini sauce on it! (I'd be inclined to stick with the pitas.)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've had this happen to me. I used to get these southerwestern style veggie burgers from this restaurant called Cooker's, then one day my parents brought me one home and it was nothing like the ones I had before. It was like a sausage patty and I could've sworn it was real sausage. I took a few bites and I didn't even want the rest. I ended up heating up a frozen one that I was 100% sure about. If for some reason they did make a mistake and that wasn't really a veggie burger, I don't think I'd even want to know because I'd probably freak out.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

I was actually thinking that it'd be a cool idea to have a falafel burger, get falafel paste, and make it into a burger patty. Then you put carrot, lettuce and tahini sauce on it! (I'd be inclined to stick with the pitas.)
Yeah they have those at this greek joint I frequent. They are falafel shaped into a patty w/ bun mustard the works. They are pretty good but I like the pita best.

·
Registered
452 Posts
At first I ate the analogs to deal with cravings I had for the real thing. I don't get those cravings much anymore, but I still eat the fake stuff as a convenient way of getting protein.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I try to at least try all (vegan) fake meat products so I am able to tell other/new/prospective vegetarians about what's out there.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I like the fakes, but I try not to depend on them too much. But once in awhile, I just get this craving for chicken nuggets--so thank goodness for un-chicken products.

The Quorn turkey-style roast I like quite a bit. I know some people oppose Quorn for various reasons, but I like it. My cat thinks it's turkey and will actually sit and beg for it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I agree..I do not want my food to be as close to meat as possible...Id rather know I was eating healty, whole veggies and grains...

·
Registered
0 Posts
I became a vegetarian for the animals, not because I did not like the taste of meat. In fact, my favorite food was chicken. And I still crave chicken to this day--the fact that I can pop some vegetarian chicken into the microwave gives me an easy mind and i can enjoy the taste I used to like.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Same Here Cori.

I'm not disgusted by the thought of eating meat. I loved the taste - and felt it was quite comforting food (I suppose we are conditioned to these things)

I stopped eating it because I could no longer live with what our society has become in regards to animals (particularly in the "agriculture" and processing industry). When animals are once again treated humanely and with dignity in the industry - I'll rethink my position (I won't be holding my breath......)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.