VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some experimenting, I have created a "fish" sauce that really adds a certain "Je ne sais Quoi" to my Thai dishes! I thought I would share my creation with all of you!

Several strips of seaweed

1 T of powdered vegan bouillon

1/4 cup of Hijiki

2 pieces of nori torn to bits

4 dried ****ake mushrooms

3 cups of boiling water.

Put seaweed, bouillon, hijiki, nori and ****ake mushrooms in a glass bowl add the boiling water and cover loosely. Let sit for 30 minutes to one hour. Drain into a container. ( The mushrooms should be soft to the touch) Use in your favorite asian recipe to add flavor, especially good in pad thai! Freeze the excess in an ice cube tray and transfer the cubes into a freezer bag for later use.

I always make a sea vegetable salad with the seaweed dregs, I add some sesame seeds, some fresh ginger and a little mirin and toss.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi, monkeyandbunny, thanks for this recipe. I'm curious, tho -- doesn't fish sauce need at least a tiny bit of sweetness? Also, I've often tasted a hint of ginger in a good fish sauce.

I'm planning to try your recipe, but I reserve the right to add: a) a tiny soupcon of veggie syrup, and/or b) a bit of ginger.

I'll post the results of my experiments! (Meanwhile, isn't it a hoot how the Internet police censor the name of a certain delicious mushroom? You can get around this American embarrassment by simply using the alternate spelling: shiitake mushrooms.)

best,

BeanLady

·
Registered
7,866 Posts

Hmm... Just testing. I don't remember this board being edited before... what's up, Michael?

I guess to stay on topic I'll add that I learned how to say "No Fish Sauce" in Thai.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
When you say several strips of seaweed, what type of seaweed are you referring to, and does several mean four, six, eight?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LMAO ****ake!!! I didn't realize that S.H.I.T.A.K.E. would be censored!

Beanlady- Go nuts! Tell me how it turns out!
The powdered veggie broth I use contains cane sugar so it makes it a bit sweet.

Eggplant- I found what was just called "seaweed" at my local asian market. It comes in a plastic package, in one big dry lump. I cut in about 5 or six pieces. I have also used Kombu, I have always found it pre cut in strips I will use 2 or three since the flavor tends to be stronger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts