VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... You know that fake crab meat stuff that's always in the packages at the grocer? Not that I want to eat any... I just started wondering... What is it actually made out of? Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Pollock, which is a bland, cheap whitefish. It also has egg whites, sugar, artificial flavour and colour.

I was actually thinking about it the other day and wishing they'd make fish analogs with soy protein the way they do meat analogs. (They'd be great for veggie california rolls!)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cookingVeg

I was actually thinking about it the other day and wishing they'd make fish analogs with soy protein the way they do meat analogs.
meeeeeee toooooooooooooooooooooooo. i am originally from the gulf coast and my family loves seafood. i cringe everytime they get to have gumbo, stuffed crab, fish fries, etc

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is made from fish, and they get that red coloring from red beetles!! Gross!

(I had a friend who worked as a food plant inspector..)

·
Banned
261 Posts
They do make fake fish, when I was in San Francisco they had a vegan Veat "fish" filet at Whole Foods. I heard rave reviews about it, but I never really liked fish, so I didn't try any.

Cassie

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
"I was actually thinking about it the other day and wishing they'd make fish analogs with soy protein the way they do meat analogs. "

eeeewwww... yuk! I disliked seafood.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I love the vegan prawns I found at a local health food store. Good with some melted earth balance!

RichBeBe, that link you posted has a product called "fish fingers"! At first I laughed, because I pictured little fish swimming around with fingers on the end of their fins. But then, the idea just kind of scared me

·
Registered
807 Posts
Mmmm....vegan prawns. I still haven't tried them, but I really want to (I haven't been able to find any in my area. But perhaps the Asian market will have some!). That was always my favorite seafood (I live near the Gulf Coast, too - Tallahassee).

·
Registered
428 Posts
I never liked seafood so I have no desire for soy fish but there is a Chinese restaurant not to far from me that has all kinds of faux fish. Most of their menu is vegetarian and they have veggie shrimp, fish, etc. Maybe check a local Chinese restaurant?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.