VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i need to find a good fake bacon. i tried the morningside farms brand and wasn't impressed. It reminded me of the beggin' strips bacon dog treats. anyway thanx.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Are you in the UK, if so go to Holland and Barratt, they do a couple of different types. I can't think of the names of hand, you just have to be careful not to overcook, as they end up a bit like Frazzles!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have only tried the Morningstar Farm bacon myself.. and it does look like some kind of doggie treat.. but I thought it tasted like real bacon so I would buy it again. I want to try the breakfast sausages but I'm a little scared of those..

·
Registered
0 Posts
I really like the breakfast sausages. I put them on a bagel for a sandwich in the morn, wrap it in some foil, and run out the door. Makes for a great portable breakfast.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Maybe I keep screwing it up, but I have yet to find a fake bacon that I like. I do like most vegan sausage products, though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Here's another vote for fake bacon sucks. I think the best chance is to hope the Boca R & D people have something cooking.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I think the smart bacon tastes like cardboard

I'm a big fan of Lightlife's Fakin' Bacon! We serve it in the cafe as a veggie BLT with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sprouts, and avocado on toasted whole wheat bread.... yummmmmmm

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by berrykat

hi i need to find a good fake bacon. i tried the morningside farms brand and wasn't impressed. It reminded me of the beggin' strips bacon dog treats. anyway thanx.
LMAO! I thought the same thing. Here's another vote for Light life!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I love using Smart Bacon by Lightlife. I use it in recipies and many find it hard to believe it is not real bacon. I agree that morningstart farms is like beggin strips for dogs. So far "Smart Bacon" is the best I have found. I am not overly excited about eating it plain but on a blt and in egg recipes it is great. Just do NOT over cook it or it will be like rubber.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Here's the problem. Nothing in the vegetable kingdom can remotely come close to the taste of the strongest tasting part of a pig that is sliced in strips, and predominantly composed of fat, regardless of how many additives you put in to it.

One of the reasons fake sausage tastes so similar and good is that ground-up textured soy and veggie proteins do a great job of imitating the texture of ground-up meats.

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
i've only tried yves' canadian bacon, it's pretty good in a smokey sort of way, but then again ive never had anything even remotely close to real bacon, so i wouldn't know if it's "good" or not, in that sense

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a recipe for bacon bits that I received from a mailing list. I haven't tried it, but the person who sent it in did. Here is the recipe with her comments. I have some other "bacon" recipes that I've squirreled away for a rainy day. If you're interested, please let me know.

~PixieMagic

--------------------------

"I'm unsure where the second recipe, Baconless Bits, comes from. This is the real deal. The bits are crisp, a little chewy (due to the additional liquid added), and incredibly tasty. The recipe calls for a tablespoon of olive oil, which I used, but I assume it would still be a very flavorful recipe without the added fat so I amended that ingredient to "optional." So. Official test kitchen results? Baconless Bits is the clear winner for taste."

Baconless Bits

Ingredients:

2/3 c water

1/3 c Tamari soy sauce -- or Liquid Aminos

1 tbsp olive oil -- optional

1 tbsp maple syrup

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 1/4 c TVP (textured vegetable protein flakes)

Place all of the ingredients except the TVP in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.

Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the TVP, stir well to combine, and set aside for 10 minutes to rehydrate the TVP. Lightly oil (or spray with oil) a non-stick cookie sheet.

Place the TVP mixture on the cookie sheet and spread to form an even thin layer.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes, stir, spread to an even layer, and bake an additional 8-10 minutes or until TVP is lightly browned and dry.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Description: "Tremendously flavorful!"

Yield: "1 1/2 c"

Per serving: 39 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (50% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 895mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Use in place of commercially made "bacon bits" on salads, baked potatoes, vegetables, or in your favorite recipes. In my oven, an additional 3-4 minutes helped to dry the bits out more completely.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts