VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning at school I fainted. It wasn't from standing up too fast or anything. I was standing at a work table and my stomach started to hurt pretty bad. I walked over to my teacher to get a pass to the nurse and my vision got blurry and I got really dizzy. The next thing I knew I was on the ground and at first I couldn't hear anything very well. The nurse came and got me and I sat down for a while before my mom picked me up. We've chosen not to get blood work done or anything unless it happens again. I feel perfectly fine now. Also, I ate breakfast (a protein shake and granola bars) before school. I've been forgetting to take my vitamins (I take a B vitamin and a multi-vitamin) lately, but I'd say I eat pretty healthy compared to most people my age.

My question is, could my fainting be a result of being vegan?

Am I not getting enough nutrients?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are you sure you're getting enough iron? Zinc? B vitamins?

And is your calorie intake enough? sometimes eating too little causes low blood sugar, which can cause dizziness. I used to eat very little or nothing for breakfast, and at skool i felt like dead.. just wanted to sleep! lol

It might as well be low blood pressure - like me since both me & my mom has it. Be sure to check your sodium levels, although too much isn't good too little isn't healthy either.

I have lots of veg/vegan friends and most of them are fine. So I think for you it might be just mineral deficiencies like iron, or a calorie deficit. Cause lots of my vegan friends have never taken supplements before apart from b12, and they're feeling fine

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have you been getting enough potassium in your diet? Sometimes when you don't it can really do a number on your body. So....EAT THOSE BANANAS!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Interesting. Almost the same symptoms of my black-outs, which are related to anemia [to confirm this you will need blood work]. Except before I passed out I would get light-headed, then dizzy, and then I would go blind before I actually hit the ground.

Could be low blood sugar, low blood pressure, anemia [iron deficiency], or anything of that sort. It's interesting that you had severe stomach pain before you went down.

I wouldn't say this is because you are vegan, but possibly you are not fully balanced and something is a little low. I would suggest not putting off blood work, but that's just me.

I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I agree with HandcuffedAngel. Even one fainting spell is reason enough to go get blood work. Better safe than sorry.

--Fromper

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of your input. I guess I forgot to mention that the nurse took my blood pressure and it was low. My dad said sometimes he feels like he's going to faint and it's because of low blood sugar. So it sounds like it could also be a hereditary thing.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Fainting can be due to a number of things, even a cardiac or neurological problem and not related to diet at all. It's probably nothing, usually is, but maybe you should let a doctor decide.

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Imm might still pay to get your blood tested discotechx , at lest it will eliminate b12 anemia folic acid etc then you can look at other things

Low blood pressure is a symptom of anemia

if you do go to a Dr tell him you are vegan

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotechx View Post

Thanks for all of your input. I guess I forgot to mention that the nurse took my blood pressure and it was low. My dad said sometimes he feels like he's going to faint and it's because of low blood sugar. So it sounds like it could also be a hereditary thing.
You most likely have chronic low blood pressure. My sister (who's not veg*n)and I do -- it comes from our dad's side. Every time I go to the drs and get my bp checked, they tell me it's very low but that seems normal for me. My sister is a fainter and always feels dizzy/nauseous/sweaty before she faints and last time she fainted my BIL called the parametics and they said her bp was pretty low. I don't faint as often but I get dizzy a lot.

Low blood pressure is actually much healthier to have than high blood pressure but if it gets too low it can cause you to feel sluggish and tired and light headed. I'd get blood work done and check for anemia. Also make sure to eat regularly or keep a snack with you in case you feel faint. The best thing to do if you feel dizzy/faint is to lie down right away to avoid passing out. My sister often forgets to do that and she ends up falling down.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
My friends daughter went vegetarian, then vegan. After she passed out one day, she decided it was her diet. I don't think it was the vegetarianism/veganism diet, per se, that caused her to faint, but more likely the fact that she didn't follow the diet properly. It takes a little work/conscious effort to maintain a healthy diet. She wasn't willing to do that so she went back to eating meat and is feeling better. So to say that it was veganism that made her pass out is somewhat misleading. People on omni diets can have similar problems as well if they are not eating healthy foods.

It may very well be a low blood pressure issue. Or the fact that you are missing important vitamins/minerals. I agree, you should have it checked out.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if your doctor brings up the low blood pressure - that can make people faint. As others have mentioned there are other possible causes, too, but your low bp reading points to that as a more likely cause at this early point. A vegan diet is a healthy one and in and of itself shouldn't cause you to faint.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I agree that fainting isn't related to a vegan diet. But try to find out, if there's a reason for the low blood pressure, because fainting might harm you if you falls down stairs for instance. Best is seeing your GP.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've only fainted once in my life, while I was still lacto-ovo vegetarian. I'm vegan now, so I don't think my diet had anything to do with it. I was at school when it happened, and the nurse took my blood pressure. It was apparently abnormally low. The nurse actually told me that the reason my blood pressure was low and I fainted was because of my weight, but I don't believe that.

Does anyone here happen to know what can cause low blood pressure? I tried looking it up but all I could find was information on how to lower a high blood pressure.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Get it checked since it can be sooo many things causing those spells. Also, track your eating on nutritiondata.com to make sure you're eating enough/getting enough nutrients (low calorie/nutrient intake can also cause problems like you've discribed).

And let us know what the doc finds out, k?

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveliestundead View Post

Does anyone here happen to know what can cause low blood pressure? I tried looking it up but all I could find was information on how to lower a high blood pressure.
Lots of things best not to get diagnosed over the net talk it through with your Dr ....But anemia can be one reason

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My doctor was contacted over the phone and said it probably wasn't anything to worry about too much right now unless it happens again. She said it very well could be low blood pressure and said it most likely doesn't have anything to do with my vegan diet. She also said that sometimes people with low blood pressure have low blood sugar and need to eat something every two hours to keep their blood sugar up. I really don't think that's my problem though because I ate breakfast before I fainted which I'm sure had a good amount of sugar in it. Also, with the two hour thing, it seems strange that it would apply to me because I usually go 8 hours without eating on week days because our school lunch has NO vegan options whatsoever. I know this isn't the greatest thing to be doing but I've been doing it for months now and I've never had any real problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts