VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My program is visiting a factory farm in a few months to show the students where most of the meat in the grocer comes from.

If the purpose was educational, would you go? Or would you request to be excluded from this particular trip of the program?

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
I wouldn't go. I already know it, i don't want to see it closer. but i am glad that some people will go

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Your program? Are you training to become a vet or something? Sounds like an unusual field trip.

I myself definitely wouldn't go, I'd just cry the whole time. And I've already seen enough video footage to last me a lifetime.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
I would go.

A slaughter house would be even more interesting to watch peoples reactions to though.

Watching the guts of something the size of a cow fall out is more than most people can stomach and the sight is far easier to stomach than is the accompanying stink.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Your program? Are you training to become a vet or something? Sounds like an unusual field trip.

I myself definitely wouldn't go, I'd just cry the whole time. And I've already seen enough video footage to last me a lifetime.
It's a Masters program in Environmental Education.

I already know I will be disheartened the entire time, both from the pain of the animals and from the attitudes of the people around me. This one guy overheard a few of us talking about the trip and he kept saying how cool it sounded - he isn't going and isn't a part of the program, but it was still one of those shake-your-head kind of moments.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I might go. I'm the kind of person that remembers and is most affected by experiences, not just videos. Seeing live farm animals makes me want to cry because I realize how cute they are, I think going to factory farms would be emotional, but it would definitely keep me from thinking about straying from veganism and keep me passionate and committed to it. I feel really awful about myself sometimes because sometimes I feel like I need to make myself feel compassion. I'll just feel disconnected from everything and I just feel really disgusting and cold-hearted, but if I actually experienced death I know I'd feel something. When I watch a video, it's like I have to imagine that this is really real and then I feel really awful, because it's a video and it's just so easy to just pretend it's not real. And I feel really bad admitting to all that, but it's just the way I feel sometimes, very desensitized, I guess.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I wouldn't go. You already know about it. You don't need to see it IRL.

Reactions: Purp

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

I would go.

A slaughter house would be even more interesting to watch peoples reactions to though.

Watching the guts of something the size of a cow fall out is more than most people can stomach and the sight is far easier to stomach than is the accompanying stink.
thats actually true. when i was 14 or so my class had a trip to salami factory. 90% of the class was vegetarian for a week or 2. this was actually the first time the thought of it came to me. of course it took many more years before it actually happened, but i wonder how it would affect more adult people, especially the ones who are interested in environment and studying it

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
How could one go and not try to make off with some of the animals to save them

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I would only go if it meant someone else going and experiencing the horror who might change their ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

How could one go and not try to make off with some of the animals to save them
If I saw an animal that was somehow free or where I could get to them, I would do this.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i would want to go, but i don't think i actually would. i hate watching someone step on a spider. i can't imagine my senses being assaulted by the happenings of a factory farm and being completely helpless. it's easy to feel like being vegan helps animals, but to have in your face proof that there are still millions of animals being slaughtered all the time so people can eat their flesh would totally depress me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should note that, as far as I know, we are planned to go to a dairy factory farm with around 40,000 cows in constant milking rotation.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhugger View Post

I should note that, as far as I know, we are planned to go to a dairy factory farm with around 40,000 cows in constant milking rotation.
I'd be tempted to f*** something up so it throws the farm all off.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

This. And destroy the equipment.
Inconspicuously, though. I'd do something that would annoy them, make it harder for them, but not cause any real damage that I could get in trouble for. Stick a quarter in a gear here and there and pretend I didn't know what happened.

Too bad it's not that easy

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

thats actually true. when i was 14 or so my class had a trip to salami factory.
That's different..we went to water parks.

OP: No I wouldn't go. I wouldn't be able to handle it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Encouraging criminal activity is probably the wrong thing to do here.

I doubt they are going to show you the worst parts of the facility. Is this a feed lot or a slaughter house? I wouldn't want to go to either, but that may influence your choice. It seems like a strange field trip for an environmental program. Feed lots and their environmental impact can be studied in the classroom and by independent review of published studies. You won't see anything but the surface impact by visiting one.

Good luck. Sorry you have to make this choice.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts