VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking classes to earn my Respiratory Therapist degree. One of my required courses is Anatomy and Physiology. I recently discovered that I have some serious problem with class requirements.

One of the requirements of the class is dissection of a cat. According to the school, there are NO alternatives allowed. It MUST be done to get a passing grade in the class. To get my degree I must pass this class. I am attending school by way of a Workman's Compensation claim, so I can't change schools... although I've been told it wouldn't make any difference.

I don't want to dissect a cat, regardless of the fact that the "specimens come from roadkill and the like." Whatever that means.

Has any one faced this issue? What did you do or would you do in this situation? Are there loopholes in the law that might help my case here?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I bet PETA could help you in that area.

Just curious why you don't want to disect?. Are you morally opposed or turned off by cutting up internal organs?. Maybe some other reason?.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

I bet PETA could help you in that area.

Just curious why you don't want to disect?. Are you morally opposed or turned off by cutting up internal organs?. Maybe some other reason?.
Just as I did in high school, I feel that cutting up an animal for the purpose of learning is unnecessary. I am currently studying human anatomy, not feline. Yes, I do realize there are similarities in human and feline anatomy. I do not, however, feel the similarity is enough to justify dissection in this case.

I guess you could consider it moral reasons, but that's a tough call. The reason being that I can say that I would not have as much issue with a human corpse. At least the corpse would match the subject and would have been consciously donated to science.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Animals used in the dissection industry are often treated very cruelly. They don't come from "roadkill", as crushed and mangled animals would not be well-preserved enough for study, and it would be difficult to collect enough undamaged bodies to suply the huge numbers of animals dissected every year.

Cats used in dissection are usually purchased from random-source animal dealers, who collect shelter animals, strays, and even frauduently obtained former pets. Investigations of dissection supply companies have shown cats being drowned and forced into gas chambers, and being injected with preserving chemicals while still alive.

Go to petatv.com and search on 'dissection'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts