VeggieBoards banner

Should I send the friend request?

• Yes, but wait until you talk to him more.

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Yes, go ahead and do it now.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No, it's creepy.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Other...

Votes: 2 6.3%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved last week and a few days ago our new neighbor came over and introduced himself. We talked for about 10 minutes and he seemed really nice. He said if I needed to borrow anything or needed any help to just let him know. We also found out they have a son and daughter about our son's age. And we talked about how we both plan on staying here for a long time.

The next day his wife came over with their kids to introduce themselves and they brought cookie bars. She also had their names, the names and ages of their kids, and their home phone written down for us and we gave them our number.

The husband is on Facebook, would it be weird of me to friend him? He seems like someone I could get to be friends with. I know my wife would say it's weird, and maybe it is, I'm just not sure. I wouldn't think anything of it if he friended me and if I didn't want to be friends with him I'd just ignore it and if it ever came up I'd say something like I don't use Facebook much. Anyway, wanted to get some other opinions. This is suburbia if it matters.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I'd wait to get to know him better, maybe watch a game together first or something.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i wouldn't find it weird. i have been friended by many people i met at only one party. but if you want to make sure, just talk to him more often. also, see how many friends he has. if it is like 54 he is more likely someone who would find it weird

·
Registered
207 Posts
Facebook to me isn't that big of a deal, even if I'm only introduced to someone for a second I go ahead and add them. It's a lot less intimate than having them in your house or giving them your number so I'd say go ahead and do it.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just added to the original post that when his wife came over she had their names, their kids names and ages, and their home phone number written down for us. And I had my wife give her our numbers. So that shows they're friendly and kind of want to look out for and help one another. I think.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

i wouldn't find it weird. i have been friended by many people i met at only one party. but if you want to make sure, just talk to him more often. also, see how many friends he has. if it is like 54 he is more likely someone who would find it weird
Good point, I only have fb friends with people I'm actually friends with, and talk to frequently.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If it were me I would get to know him more. Sometimes I post somethings on my facebook that people will take the wrong way (im not politically correct). Thats why I have no kids on there, and only 3 people that I work with on there. If your not like me then it shouldent be a problem.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I would wait to get to know him better. It would be extremely awkward to unfriend your neighbor later on if something happened between you or you found out he was a Nazi or something.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I say go ahead and do it now. You can always Un- friend him, which won't be a problem unless FB is his life..and in my experience, for most males over 30, FB isn't a big deal.

His wife may take it personally though.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I went with the second option. If you want to friend him, so do. Plenty of people friend people they barely know IRL, and if he doesn't want to accept he doesn't have to.

That said, now I think about it, I'd be a little extra cautious because he's your neighbour so if you decided you didn't like him and wanted to unfriend him it could make it awkward as you'd still see him and things.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I wouldn't bother, he's right next to you for crying out loud. Whatever you choose, definitely show them this thread.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Yeah I think it's weird, creepy even. Until you have personally delivered a newborn baby from his wife's loins; until you have discussed your sexual fears with him; until you have had him wake you up on so many nights, sobbing in his underwear and asking for consolation; until he admits that he would name his son after you; until you have loaned him at least $100,000; until he has carved a tattoo of your initials onto his arm with a flame-heated switchblade -- you have no ****ing business initiating something as personal as a Facebook friendship.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I say friend him, in reality if you guys have a falling out, I doubt he would find it weird you un-friended him. If your posts you make would concern you, just put him in a special group of your friends that only see certain posts. FB allows you to make the separations, I am still FB friends with my ex-wife(and her family), but I just made it so they can't see 90% of what I post/upload/link/like ect ect.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Yeah I think it's weird, creepy even. Until you have personally delivered a newborn baby from his wife's loins; until you have discussed your sexual fears with him; until you have had him wake you up on so many nights, sobbing in his underwear and asking for consolation; until he admits that he would name his son after you; until you have loaned him at least $100,000; until he has carved a tattoo of your initials onto his arm with a flame-heated switchblade -- you have no ****ing business initiating something as personal as a Facebook friendship.

I don't think it's weird. I don't say anything on FB I couldn't say anywhere, and I don't think you do either.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I don't think its necessarily weird, but if you're concerned about it, maybe you should talk to him and spend more time with him first. That way, you will be real-life friends.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenseas View Post

yeah i think it's weird, creepy even. Until you have personally delivered a newborn baby from his wife's loins; until you have discussed your sexual fears with him; until you have had him wake you up on so many nights, sobbing in his underwear and asking for consolation; until he admits that he would name his son after you; until you have loaned him at least $100,000; until he has carved a tattoo of your initials onto his arm with a flame-heated switchblade -- you have no ****ing business initiating something as personal as a facebook friendship.
lmao

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I don't think it's weird at all, but if your wife doesn't want you to do it then you shouldn't do it. They're her neighbors too.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

We moved last week and a few days ago our new neighbor came over and introduced himself. We talked for about 10 minutes and he seemed really nice. He said if I needed to borrow anything or needed any help to just let him know. We also found out they have a son and daughter about our son's age. And we talked about how we both plan on staying here for a long time.

The next day his wife came over with their kids to introduce themselves and they brought cookie bars. She also had their names, the names and ages of their kids, and their home phone written down for us and we gave them our number.
I don't think friending him on Facebook is weird. People do that all the time and they hardly know each other. What I think is weird is that she gave you that kind of detail about her kids - to me, giving the ages in writing is a bit overboard. I would have just shared that in person.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts