VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that many refrigerated vegan products (almond milk yogurt, vegan cheese, tofu) have short expiration dates?
Is it maybe because the demand is low and things stay on the shelf longer? Or do vegan items really expire faster? I'm just curious.
I shop once a week and many items I am buying don't seem to last the whole week.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
There's one particular grocery store I go to and whenever I buy soy yogurt there, it expires within 5 day (gotta check those dates!). I've gotten the same exact product and another location, and the expiration date was more reasonable (1 month out). So I'd say it varies from grocer to grocer. You can always purchase shelf-stable soy or almond milks and tofu that last longer.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Do you mean "best before" expiration dates, or "use within X"?

Best befores... I can only assume they've been sat in a storage or on the shelf for a long time if they're unusually short. It isn't something I've noticed. "Use within X" dates are usually rubbish anyway, honestly I have PICKLES that say "refridgerate and use within 5 days". Most things you can tell if they've gone off using common sense.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

So I'd say it varies from grocer to grocer..
^This. Some stores are just better at rotating their merchandise.

Honestly I seek out products that are close to the expiration date or already recently expired because some stores are great at marking them down drastically. Obviously I have no fear of expiration dates.
I'm not a "when in doubt throw it out" person but more of a "if it smells, looks, tastes fine then it's fine with me".

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Yes, I agree it depends on the store. They usually have shorter dates at the smaller stores and at least a month or longer at the larger chain stores.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
We have a Grocery Outlet in my town. I never know what I may find when I go in there. Sometimes absolutely nothing and other times good deals.

Recently they have had Whole Soy & Co yogurt for 2/$1.00. Great deal. I have purchased before and it was close to expiring. I ate it past the expiration date and it tasted just as good and fresh as when I paid the full price for it at regular grocery stores.

I do check the dates but have never had a problem with them. I also bought Newman's Hermit cookies there a day before the expiration date and they were fine.

They carry Amy's products sometimes too and vegan ice cream. Unfortunately many of the items are more vegetarian than vegan friendly. But I have been shocked at some of the vegan items I have found there. Hummas. Bolthouse Farms smoothie drinks. Cheap.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I hardly ever have a problem with the larger grocery chains regarding expiration dates. I do, however, have to be careful when I go to Mrs. Green's. I often find tofu and other items with dates that have already expired. I think it is both a rotation issue and the fact that they are a very small store and probably have items sitting on the shelf for awhile. I have learned to be very vigilant when it comes to checking dates.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I was just curious. I was finding things that would expire in a couple days, but were okay, but some things are gross after the date- almond milk yogurt seems to be one of them- it gets clumpy and weird. It tastes okay, but the texture is nauseating. A prepared grain salad after 1 day got all gummy and slimy. I had to discard it.
I have to say though - plant products don't get bacterial infections from sitting around like meat products do. To think a couple years ago I actually used to allow chicken to sit on my counter for a day to defrost- GROSS! So glad my eyes are opened.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
I only had a problem once with an expiration date and it was at whole foods.
I grabbed so delicious coffee creamer went home and saw that it was going to expire in a week and I knew there was no way I'd even use a quarter of it before it expired. I returned it.
BUT; im a personal shopper at shoprite and whenever someone orders vegan stuff or even organic products 7/10 times the product is already expired and still on the shelf or is close to expiring. I assume its because the majority of people who shop their arent interested in that type of food!

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

. To think a couple years ago I actually used to allow chicken to sit on my counter for a day to defrost- GROSS! So glad my eyes are opened.
Ugh. I cringe when my mom does this. I always tend to freak out whenever I see meat out defrosting. It's disgusting especially when it starts to leak. Thanksgiving is the worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

I only had a problem once with an expiration date and it was at whole foods.
I grabbed so delicious coffee creamer went home and saw that it was going to expire in a week and I knew there was no way I'd even use a quarter of it before it expired. I returned it.
How long is soy coffee creamer suppose to last? I never buy it to pay attention to the expiration dates but always figured it would've been a week also since that's when soy, almond, and other milk alternatives state to consume they buy once opened.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Ugh. I cringe when my mom does this. I always tend to freak out whenever I see meat out defrosting. It's disgusting especially when it starts to leak. Thanksgiving is the worst!

How long is soy coffee creamer suppose to last? I never buy it to pay attention to the expiration dates but always figured it would've been a week also since that's when soy, almond, and other milk alternatives state to consume they buy once opened.
its not soy.
it's coconut.
when i went back i found one that expired a month later!!!
way better

1 - 11 of 11 Posts