VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
I don't eat animals.
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I don't blame the deputies who "shot on sight" or their supervisor who ordered them to do so. These were big animals, not tame in any sense of the word, near a major highway, near schools, and with the rain falling and the sun going down, they really had to do something to prevent a bigger tragedy. Animals did make it to the interstate highway and one did get hit by a vehicle.
The deputies did not have tranquilizers to shoot 300 pound cats with. Certainly they wouldn't have had access to the sheer volume that would have been required for that number of animals. Unfortunately, many animals were killed while standing next to their cages. How do you get dozens of predators to go back into their cages?
The real problem is that any fruit loop who has cash can purchase and keep any animal in Ohio, in pretty much any manner they choose. I don't like government involved in what I choose to do, but I don't like getting eaten by a lion even more.
The thing is, the people who choose to exercize their right to keep a private zoo are exactly the sort of people who should not be allowed to be near, much less responsible for the care of, animals.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _elle_ View Post

I don't blame the deputies who "shot on sight" or their supervisor who ordered them to do so.
Did you listen to that ******* sheriff? If he had his way there wouldn't be any animals left alive.
No just a bunch of trigger happy cops! Bet they even enjoyed it! got to play mighty big game hunters! Oh, and nobody care's what that sellout Hanna has to say either.

I hate cops ! always have, always will!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Bird View Post

From what I've heard on the news, it sounds as though the owner was the sole care-taker, and so I get the impression that it was more of a 'personal-zoo' than an actual reserve. These kinds of stories are so sad, especially because they can be so easily prevented by simply not keeping these animals. Poor things, being hunted down and killed...the situation was hardly their fault.
the article I read on msn (or the guardian, I read it via facebook so I'm not sure which one it was) earlier this afternoon said there was a caretaker, and that the caretaker stated that the last time he'd fed them was on monday... as such, I don't see why the owner let the animals loose, when the caretaker could've contacted a bunch of different places to take the animals. apparently they were pretty close to the wilds, and they could've taken at least some of them and found homes for the rest.

·
Registered
462 Posts
"Officers were ordered to kill the animals instead of trying to bring them down with tranquilizers for fear that those hit with darts would escape in the darkness before they dropped and would later regain consciousness"

So they could have tranquilized them! Escape in the darkness?? thats why you trail them after you hit one. Dumb ass cops

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
this is too awful for words....I saw the pics on the news and I was heartbroken, angry and disgusted

Peace & Quiet Please

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
A couple years back, 2 wolves escaped from the local zoo. The cops killed them. I am pretty sure the county had enough tranquilizers to bring down 2 wolves.

The moral of the story is most humans SUCK.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
But elle, they didn't even freaking try. I absolutely do not believe the sheriff had no access to tranquilizers at all. The DNR, zoos within the area, other wildlife "preserves", all of these places would have appropriate equipment to deal with many of the animals. With a bit of thought and planning and just plan hard work tracking, they could've captured some of these animals. It was easier though, just to shoot them, and since they were just dumb animals, no one cared.

Now I don't disagree that the law needs to be changed re acquiring animals. However this isn't an either/or issue. Once the animals were freed, they became the responsibility of the sheriff's department. They chose to execute some of them in the false name of public safety. There's absolutely no indication from the Sheriff that they made any effort to save the animals.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenm7 View Post

released the animals & then committed suicide
death is too good for that sick freak. Any state that allows the ownership of big cats ought to have tranquilizer darts available in case of intentional or accidental releases. I'm sure the police had fun on their massacre.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
just heard the final animal - a monkey - was found dead.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Mr. Olexa,

Thank you for writing and expressing your concerns. The Governor asked that I respond on his behalf. The Governors office is working diligently on this issue.

Both state and federal laws on this issue need improvement. The governor is working with the Humane Society, zoos and county prosecutors to develop a legislative solution. The governor supports regulating these animals and restricting their sale and we hope to have that authority quickly.

State wildlife officers are on the ground in Muskingum County assisting local law enforcement officers, and have been there since yesterday evening.

Today, there are more than a dozen wildlife officials onsite, as well as five ODNR law enforcement staff. Additionally, the departments Mobile Command Truck has been dispatched to the site as well.

Again, thank you for writing and rest assured that Governor Kasich shares your concern on this issue.

Jocelyn Kozlowski
Constituent Aide
Office of Ohio Governor John R. Kasich
[email protected]
www.governor.ohio.gov

This message and any response to it may constitute a public record and thus may be publicly available to anyone who requests it.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
State wildlife officers are on the ground in Muskingum County assisting local law enforcement officers, and have been there since yesterday evening.

Today, there are more than a dozen wildlife officials onsite, as well as five ODNR law enforcement staff. Additionally, the departments Mobile Command Truck has been dispatched to the site as well.
So what - they already killed everyone. A bit too late.

I hope they don't just regulate the future sale but grandfather in people who already own wild animals.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _elle_ View Post

The real problem is that any fruit loop who has cash can purchase and keep any animal in Ohio, in pretty much any manner they choose. I don't like government involved in what I choose to do, but I don't like getting eaten by a lion even more.
The thing is, the people who choose to exercize their right to keep a private zoo are exactly the sort of people who should not be allowed to be near, much less responsible for the care of, animals.
QFT. I mean, damn... I sometimes have enough trouble giving my cats or rabbits medicine, and they haven't been mean animals by any stretch of the imagination. How does one person give proper care to a big cat or bear, or even a giraffe? (I hope at least they captured the giraffe without injuring him/her...)

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I would think that you'd attempt different things with each animal. The first went nuts when it was tranquilized, but that doesn't mean all of the animals would have. Why not try? And they couldn't have bribed some of them with food? It seems like a case of shoot first and ask questions later.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

death is too good for that sick freak. Any state that allows the ownership of big cats ought to have tranquilizer darts available in case of intentional or accidental releases. I'm sure the police had fun on their massacre.
I agree. This whole incident makes me ill.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts