VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoastWill View Post

Orange juice or milk and graham crackers are a good thing for a hypoglycemic to consume- This is what we give to diabetic patients in the hospital when their blood sugar gets too low. You need to maintain a steady level of sugar in your blood which means eating carbs. I have more experience with the other end- people who are hyperglycemic- but I would suggest doing some research to find some ideas on how to maintain your sugars- Definately though before excercising you need to have a snack!
Actually, it's better to consume protiens or complex carbs. I don't mean to confuse the OP or contradict you but juice imo isn't the way to go. If she drinks juice her sugar and insulin will spike really fast and she'll be back where she started. Simple carb meals contribute to hypoglycemia. Complex carbs take longer to digest and this will keep blood glucose at constant levels rather than spiking. Same goes for proteins, which are converted to glucose if needed but this glucose enters the blood stream at a slower rate keeping levels again, more constant.

There's info all over the net about hypoglycemia and unless you have some serious primary conditions it shouldn't be that hard to control.

· Registered
6,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoastWill View Post

What I meant, was a quick way to raise blood sugar that gets too low- it can be dangerous to bottom out- the orange juice/ milk and crackers would be a quick way to raise the low sugar- and when I said maintain blood sugar by eating carbs,I meant complex, I would never advise someone to base their diet on sugar! Hopefully you can find some good meal plans to learn how to keep your sugars even and stay healthy!
oh yea, agreed. bottoming out would be dangerous. hopefully the OP is not in such a dangerous situation. I was just figuring the OP was correct in her own diagnosis...that she may have been stimulating her issues from a sugar based diet. I can relate as well. Once i stopped eating sugar, i no longer had hypo symptoms. And i had them pretty bad (sweating, shaking, almost passing out). I would combat it with a sugar item and then two hours later, there i was again. Now my carbs only come from whole veggies and it was amazing how the issue just went away for me. I wonder what havoc that kind of yo yoing did to my body.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.