VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*psst,* I reposted this from the intro section since I didn't see this thread til later....if a double post shows up I'm soooooryyy I'm a nooooob :'(
also, ignore spelling/grammar errors, it's like 3 am....

Hello everyone!!!!

I wanted to share with you a little bit of my backstory with vegetarian/veganism and maybe get some advice, support, what have you.

Back in 2008 I found a book which some of you may or may not know, called "Skinny *****." I was most definitely interested and picked it up having no idea it was a pro-veganism book but WOW! It opened my eyes. Not only have I been one of those kids who helped fish flies out of water so they wouldn't drown, but I lived on a farm and raised chickens, pigs, etc, (not for slaughter, for trade, eggs, etc) so having my eyes opened up to this new world was soooommeeething else.

Here's the bad part. I was so enraged over the read-about cruelty toward animals (videos followed of course, I'm a thorough researcher) enraged over the sloth, blah blah blah of people, I sort of went Vegan-Nazi. you know, the really unpleasant person who tries to guilt trip meat eaters? And it's honestly very, very easy to be picked on once someone finds out you're vegan, and I always felt like I was inconveniencing people too (party food bummer and staff meeting avoidance) so though I was eating healthy and felt good about doing what I consider the right thing, my turmoil tripled and I was exceedingly unhappy.

I finally called it quits after a few years, sometime in 2010, for no other reason than I was sick and tired of all the fighting with people, and I would even get tense and angry when I walked in grocery stores and saw the meat department. That's not the person I wanted to be, so I abandoned being veg.

Fast forward to mid-2011. Life changes, trauma, et cetera, and I feel depressed, isolated, unhappy and slightly overweight, (I eat crap, utter crap okay? lol) unmotivated, you know the drill. I keep looking over at Skinny ***** and thinking about re-reading it, because that discovery and belief in a cause really had me fired up. I physically never felt better as a vegan, I felt empowered, I felt like I was helping my animal friends and the planet and all that other stuff I want to do so much. But the hateful comments and the despising of all restaurant chains and arguing with people I barely knew over their "LULZ I'M A CARNIVORE" statements was too much last time.

I know it's dumb but my epiphany came when I was on Facebook, for no reason a meatvideo.com link showed up in my side ads, I clicked and braced myself and after a good half hour of this flood of emotion and remembering why I made that decision in the first place, I went back and signed an online pledge to be a vegan for thirty days.

I want to go back to the positive of the lifestyle; the health benefits, the sense of right and good, knowing that I'm helping my furry and non-furry little buddies that I care about so much, and just being happier in general. The problem is, I don't know how to deal with the rage that all activists have. I don't want to be so full of hate. I'm a very apathetic person generally speaking, I see both sides of every fence and I have close friends who disagree with each other on any given issue. I know there's always always always always going to be some bad thrown in with the good, and I'm ready and willing to accept it, but I don't want to go it alone like I did last time and end up a hateful spiteful activist who loses all her friends because they say they 'can't live without bacon.'

So here I am, and I was wondering if anyone has tips/advice/comments/stories to share about balancing the happiness with that overwhelming urge to just go destroy every slaughterhouse in the world......or how you keep the peace when people bring up their HURRDURRIMACARNIVORE comments just to antagonize you. I need a support system, badly.

sorry for the suuuuuuuuuper long rant and story. And cheers all.

I suppose if you want more info about me.....I was raised in the south but left home at 15, I now live in Salt Lake City. I have no children except my two cats, I'm addicted to hair dye and sugar (hopefully working on changing the latter HA!) My great-grandmother was a witch and finding this out has made me the happiest person on earth. I just got married in June and I listen to really, really really weird music.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
well, welcome! I think you or anyone else could drive yourself crazy trying to change the world. Seriously, concentrate on yourself first. get comfortable in your skin, before trying to take on the world. Get acclimated to eating properly, getting rid of the crap foods in your diet, eat a whole foods diet, which will help with your weight, and clear up skin problems amongst a few other things. Learn what animal based ingredients are, and eat vegan safe foods. Start learning more about factory farming and the implications of the dairy, beef, poultry, and pork industries. If you want more videos, go to Mercyforanimals.org.

then, when you're comfortable talking about these issues, try to do it an educational sense, not a brow-beating over the head, because people aren't going to listen to you like that. See if there are any meetup.com mtgs in your area. Sign up to do some leafleting in your area etc. Lots of ideas, but you're just getting your feet wet again, so don't try everything at once. Start with the diet first and then all of the household/toiletry items.....{and your hair coloring too
}. Feel free to ask a ton more questions

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just remember, if you get mad and give up all your friends because they eat meat, how will you be a positive influence on meat-eaters? If you never go to stores/restaurants that sell meat and buy the veg options, how will store owners/managers know there's demand for these products?

If you want any hope of converting a meat-eater, you have to mingle with them and you have to be nice to them. I understand that there may be times when you have to stand up for yourself and be firm, but try to handle sticky situations in as respectful a manner as possible. Make THEM look like the obnoxious bad person. I'd sooner get up and walk out before I engage in a yelling match with people.

Also, try to be a healthy veg. If people see you gaining weight from eating too much veg*n junk food, they're not gonna wanna sign up for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much guys...these are all super, super awesome points. Stuff I need to hear!!! It's just hard to think of all those things yourself when you're as mentioned, getting your feet wet again. Something that to me is the most important change I can make in my own life (or my family's as well) is only a little daunting, right?

In other news, I've been taking it easy on the animal products and when I mean taking it easy, haven't been eating any meat or dairy or anything really except vegetables, for this past weekend. May be small to some people but to me it's big!

Speaking of hair color, I was reading into henna. Not the chemical-added kind, but tattoo grade henna, Lucille Ball style. Does anyone have experience with henna, do they like it, et cetera?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts