VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, pluck mah butt and call me 'Chickie'!

Quote:
Food price hike threatens egg sandwich

Egg sandwiches could be under threat because of rising costs triggered by a shortage of their key ingredient due to animal welfare rules ..

..It comes after the EU banned the smallest battery hen cages in January, resulting in many flocks being destroyed and some farmers switching to larger cages while others simply abandoned production.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...-sandwich.html
Personaly I love the way that the destruction of the flocks is an implied tragedy. Like the poor little beggars were not simply going to endure torture that boogles the brain before being destroyed anyway.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Im confused...doesnt the average Omni say they would rather buy meat and produce from 'happy' animals...so why have a tantrum when hen welfare standards are raised...oh they have to pay more...well you cant have it both ways *shrug*

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Im confused...doesnt the average Omni say they would rather buy meat and produce from 'happy' animals...so why have a tantrum when hen welfare standards are raised...oh they have to pay more...well you cant have it both ways *shrug*
All things being equal they would rather have products from "happy" animals. Price changes aren't all things equal though. Why do you think most people give lip service to labor sweatshops being bad... but damn don't raise the price of my iphone.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thing is this ...

It is not possible to produce the insane volumes of animal products that people want to consume without intensive farming.

Less intensive farming not only increases costs but also causes production levels to fall.

A product you can produce less of you have to charge more per unit for. (That one works right the way down the product handling chain).

'Bidding' for products in short supply causes prices to rise again.

Rising prices, above a certain point, cause demand to fall.

That rises prices, all the way down the handing chain, again.

There is a kind of vortex set up when a cost increase combined with a production fall happens right at the start of the supply chain.

I am very enthused by this. It suggests that a constant push even for smallish animal welfare reforms is far more effective than I had previously realised.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
It says egg sandwiches may go up with as much as 10p!!! Oh Lord, have mercy on the poor eggitarians!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I still eat eggs and I have no problem with this. I already pay two to four times as much for the ones I consider to be acceptable, and on a calorie per dollar basis it's still not a bad deal. Factory eggs are artificially cheap. The market will just have to adapt, and if that means less demand so be it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
People in general just consume way too many animal products. If people limited their animal protein intake to 2-3 times a week, price wouldn't be an issue. Considering all the resources that go into raising livestock for meat,eggs,dairy it boggles my mind that it isn't 3-4 times more expensive than it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts