VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any feedback on the practice of raising sheep for yarn, from an ethical standpoint. Do you know of any resources that discuss pros/cons etc. Just curious. Oh ya, one more thing.... Anyone ever unraveled and re-purposed a thrift store sweater for knitting.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I am interested about this as well, as I am a knitter. There is a woman at our local farmer's market who sits there with her wheel and spins wool yarn. I think your best bet would be to buy direct and local, so you can see the manner in which the animals are kept and raised. It's a hard choice, buying yarn from the store. Synthetic yarns use a lot of chemical processing that isn't great for the environment, but wool yarn presents a possible ethical dilemma. I guess those cons are present in any clothing you buy, but still... Things to consider.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
We recently purchased some bamboo- and cotton-yarn (50% of each) for my mom. Not sure how good/suitable it is for knitting yet - we shall see.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My mum knitts and I love it when she knits me hot water bottles and cushion covers - but she hates knitting in acrylic (she says it's horrible stuff!). Are there any vegan knitters here, and are there better alternatives to knit with? If I could buy something nicer next time I ask her to knit something for me, it would be nicer for both of us

Sorry to hijack the thread a little but I figured it was just about on topic!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have looked and there are some folks, usually small family operations, that have organic, humane flocks of sheep. I suppose for wool this is the way to go, if you want wool. I did not look at the price element or where these farms are located as far as shipping etc.

I feel like this is a better alternative than to use synthetic fibers that are petro based. I have not tried bamboo yet. It looks pretty, but I wonder how it washes and holds it's shape. I love my bamboo t-shirts, but after a wash or two they looked like soggy tea towels. This is ok, cause they are super comfy, but I don't want a hand knit that I spent 200 hours on looking sad and saggy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are some really nice cotton yarns out there, as well as bamboo, linen, corn, and other fibres to try!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I usually crochet rather than knit, since its easier haha. But I buy cotton yarn and really like it. Lots of yarn in the 'baby' sections is cotton/acrylic/other manmade so thats a good place to look.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This won't help, but...

Many breeds of sheep would die of heat prostration if they weren't sheared every spring. This is due to man's genetic manipulation through breeding.

So by using wool yarn your either saving a sheep or perpetuating a breeding program.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts