VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently met a girl who said she was vegetarian exclusively for environmental reasons. She said she loved eating meat, loved leather, doesn't care at all about animal welfare... her concern is exclusively for "the environment".

I don't see how this is possible. She looks at the world purely in terms of carbon emissions and so forth. Whether animals live or die is not an element of the so-called "environment" for her.

A crack-pot? or not?

·
Registered
44 Posts
That does sound very odd to me! lol

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
No, that's just where her priorities lie.

While I care about animals, I really do, my primary reason for going veg was for health reasons. Environmental and Animal rights tie at second.

Priorities are relative

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think it makes sense when you look at the statistics that show how much water factory farming uses, pollutants, run off, etc. Going meatless is one the best things you could do as an environmentalist.
I learned these things from the naked showering women in the PETA ad.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I went veg for environmental reasons. After learning about how animals are treated I took it further and went vegan. As someone said, it's one of the best things you can do for the environment. I'm honestly always a bit disappointed when I meet someone who seems like a hard-core environmentalist and then find out they eat meat...

I don't think she's a crack pot, just has different priorities. And, either way, she's not consuming meat, so that's a good thing.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

I'm honestly always a bit disappointed when I meet someone who seems like a hard-core environmentalist and then find out they eat meat...
I agree, though I always seem to change my opinion that they must not care about the earth THAT MUCH, if they ignore the number one cause of it's destruction.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I agree, though I always seem to change my opinion that they must not care about the earth THAT MUCH, if they ignore the number one cause of it's destruction.
I don't usually hold it against them, but for some reason it always surprises me/disappoints me...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Each person has their own reasons.

My reasons are strictly ethical... I don't give a flying flip about eating low-fat/calorie OR the environment. Right now, I'm eating a slice of pumpkin pie off of a paper plate with a plastic fork!

I had a co-worker vegetarian who did so purely for health reasons... she didn't give a flying flip about animal rights OR the Environment,

There are also those who do it for environmental reasons, world over-population crisis reasons, and religious reasons.

*** Give her time. Her one reason may become a bunch of reasons once she learns more about the veg*n culture.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is how my husband feels in a sense. He thinks it's silly for people to care about animals without seeing the bigger picture of the ecosystem. And, in a lot of ways he's right, but at the same time he's wrong.

There are different personalities, with different concerns.

I'm vegan for a multitude of reasons. Health, ecological, animal rights... they are all concerns for me. Things aren't as simple as saying that we can cure the obesity issue with veganism, or that we could fix the ecosystem with veganism, or that animals will no longer suffer. I think it's important for us to take the things that concern us, and do the best we can to make a difference where we can.

When we're passionate about something it's difficult to understand how someone else could NOT be passionate about that same issue. We all have different life experiences.

Prior to having a dog in his life, my husband didn't understand why people would spend thousands of dollars on vet bills. He thought it was dumb that people would call their dogs their children and spoil them. To date, we've easily dropped thousands of dollars on the little one he adopted, and he's not even flinched. Now he gets beyond enraged when people neglect their dogs like they are just possessions.

Prior to having complications from an illness, I didn't understand being vegan at all. Vegetarian, I understood (even though I wasn't one)... but I thought for sure I would never be vegan. Now I'm a walking testament to everyone being vegan!

·
Registered
0 Posts
"When we're passionate about something it's difficult to understand how someone else could NOT be passionate about that same issue. We all have different life experiences."

Good quote. I'm so quoting you on my FB page. Feel special, very special.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hehe. Comence specialness.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

I went meatless, I want to know when they are showing up at my house to show appreciation.
They just called and said they're on their way. Just don't leave your house or you will miss em! Just sit there and wait...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts