VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I've been a vegetarian for 2 years now, but, and you think i would have got this right by now, really don't feel i'm getting enough protein in my diet. I dont love beans, so only really eat them 2x a week - i feel really tired and drained most of the time, and wonder if this doesn't have something to do with it.

Any ideas????

Appreciate the help!

· Registered
2,860 Posts
I doubt that you're not getting enough protein, although a food log (as suggested) is a good way to find out about that. There's lots of things that make you tired; various toxins in the body (caffeine, alcohol, nicotine), stress, dehydration, even things like getting too much sleep. Or it could be that you're eating a lot of foods that release their energy very quickly, such as sugary things and carb-filled foods. Have you tried increasing the amount of fresh fruit and veg you eat? I found that eating two pieces of fruit in the morning, having three pieces as snacks through the day, and then a large serving of vegetables with my evening meal really sorted out my sleep problems.

· Registered
79 Posts
If you feel tired a lot you may not be getting enough Iron? Anemia from lack of iron will make you feel lethargic, but it can easily be fixed. Here's a nice list of iron rich foods. http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm
Also a good way to get around protien foods you aren't bothered about like soy is try to cook them new ways. Tofu for example can be eaten raw, boiled , fried, whipped like cream you name it. There's also tvp (texured vegetable protein) that tastes like meat morningstar, boca , yves and many other brands make veggie burgers, sausages etc that can be used instead of meat in most recipies . Some of it is a little highly processed so it may not be as healthy as some whole food options, but it is a good source of protein and can be an easier for people who don't care for beans or tofu, I didn't like it at fist until I tried it different ways. But give tofu a chance since if you make it right it's great (I like tofu curried or stir-fried with chinese sauce best, tofu with broccoli and general tso's sauce yumm) Enjoy!

· Banned
31 Posts
There is a great protein confusion in today's society. Overeating of protein can make your body loose calcium because too much protein makes body acid.

Every whole plant has protein otherwise it would not have grown.

Do not worry about protein, use enough of green leafy vegetables, seeds, veggies, grains and fruits.

· Registered
11,218 Posts
yeah there's no way you're getting enough protein. you should start taking some pills for that.

· Registered
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

yeah there's no way you're getting enough protein. you should start taking some pills for that.
You can never really be sure of that though can you? because even though protein is easily obtained on a vegetarian diet, that in itself isn't a guarantee that everyone is eating enough of it.

· Registered
4,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

You can never really be sure of that though can you? because even though protein is easily obtained on a vegetarian diet, that in itself isn't a guarantee that everyone is eating enough of it.
I absolutely agree with this, and to be honest it irks me a bit when veg*ns become defensive/dismissive about protein. When I started using a food tracker I learned that I wasn't getting nearly enough protein for my size and have had to work to make sure I get enough to meet my needs. Until the OP tracks their actual intake and determines what their needs are, it's a bit irresponsible, even dangerous, to assume that they are 'getting enough'.

· Registered
1,261 Posts
You should track your protein to see if this is really the problem. If not, I'd recommend getting a blood test for various vitamins/minerals, and then maybe an allergy test. Things like vitamin deficiencies, food allergies, and gluten/soy intolerance are not uncommon and can cause fatigue as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.