VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is not for me, as I don't really trust them.... but my husband drinks them fairly frequently. (one in the morning, not necessarilly multiple drinks per day)<br><br><br><br>
He's currently using a Sam's Club off-brand that is in powder form~ he adds it to water or another non-carbonated drink, and it turns into an energy drink~<br><br><br><br>
calories: 2<br><br>
Carbs: <1%<br><br>
vit. c: 100%<br><br>
Vit b6: 100%<br><br>
Folate: 100%<br><br>
Vit b-12: 100% (was surprised on this! "as cyanocobalamin"? Tiny writing, hard to read)<br><br>
Potassium: 12%<br><br>
Taurine 1000mg<br><br>
Caffine: 100mg<br><br>
Inositol: 100g<br><br>
Guarana seed extract: 3mg<br><br><br><br>
other ingredients: citric acid, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate suca, sucralose, (and coloring)<br><br>
~~~~~~~~~<br><br><br><br>
(he's also used Red Bull, but not a big fan... and the Mountain Dew version as well)<br><br><br><br>
Anyway, does anyone know of the harmful side effects, if there are any? Bad to use long term? (I can only assume they are... he'd be better off getting his energy from, oh, real FOOD, but I need some good arguments with proof to back them up..)

·
Registered
787 Posts
How is it an "energy drink" if it has no calories? Calories= energy.<br><br><br><br>
Sucralose is a fake sweetener, which I would be wary of.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I also drink energy drinks occasionally (the canned type, not the powder mixes).<br><br>
Energy drinks are essentially soda pops with increased caffiene content (somewhat more than most pop brands--approximately the caf of one or two cups of strong coffee).<br><br>
You could expect the long-term effects of drinking most common energy drinks to be similar to the effects of drinking pop.<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.energyfiend.com" target="_blank">www.energyfiend.com</a>

·
Registered
219 Posts
An excess of caffiene from energy drinks can cause this really unpleasant side effect that my boyfriend has experienced.. Don't know how else to say this discretely but, severe pain in the end of the penis. He flipped out and almost went to the emergency room it hurt so bad, but I called my sister who is a physician and she said, "has he had a lot of caffiene lately?" I said, "yeah, actually," she said, "that is the culprit.. he needs to chill with the caffiene for a while." Anything that does that to such a sensitive area is bad news in my opinion. May not happen to your honey, but I wouldn't risk it personally. On another note, I personally don't take an excess of caffiene because I have anxiety issues... if you are prone to anxiety problems you should stay clear because it can cause some scary heart issues and panic attacks.

·
Registered
885 Posts
They are like drinking several sodas at once. You're basically pay for a really expensive vitamin and artificial caffeine source in one. I dont like them or trust them to be honest.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well, it convinced my boyfriend to not drink them again. I was worried he got one of those fish from the Amazon that crawl up through the penis or something. Didn't know little ol' caffiene could cause the same pain. creeepy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is an energy drink called Soku that isn't as bad for you, since the sugars are minimal in comparision. There are two different types; the 'better' one is a black can with green lettering I believe. But it'd be safe to check the back of the label. Anyways, most enery drinks either use sucralose (splenda) or ~27g of sugar per serving. The Soku energy drink I'm referring to only uses 13g of sugar per serving. Still has all the bad caffiene in it but at least the sugar levels aren't ridiculously high. It doesn't too shabby either for an energy drink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts