VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of foods/supplements/relaxation techniques/ANYTHING that will boost my energy.

Since I was about 15, I've had very very low energy. I've been tested for different types of anemia almost every year since then, and it always comes up negative. So it's not that.

I just feel so completely drained all the time. I don't really have a life because of it. I go to work, and I come home exhausted. Even going out grocery shopping wipes me out for the rest of the day.

I don't think it's my diet, and I haven't noticed any change since I went veg two+ years ago. I do suffer from depression every now and again, but my day to day tiredness is more than the feelings of low energy that I get when I'm depressed. I also have problems with stress. I can never really relax.

Anywho, sorry for the long post. Any ideas how I can perk myself up? I'm only 24, but I feel like I'm 84!!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
have you had your thyroid tested? i think i remember you mentioning it somewhere but can't remember the details.

if it's not your thyroid and not anemia, maybe you're hypoglycemic or something. do you get dizzy spells? blackouts? before i went on my thyroid meds and if i stop taking them, i get dizzy when i stand up and my vision goes totally black for a minute, i have to grab something so i don't fall. it's usually accompanied by a stabbing pain in my right temple.

anyway with my meds i don't get that at all unless i haven't eaten.

also have you tried charting your eating habits to make sure you get enough calories in the day?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Once you have eliminated all possible health problems that may be causing the energy drain, then you can try a B complex vitamin for some extra energy. Daily exercise is supposed to be great too.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Are you eating enough? Just I just turned veggie, I thought I was eating enough, but not true because veggie foods tend to be bulky in volume but not quite substantial (at least the foods i ate). And I was always low in energy and I wondered why. Only recently, I went to see a nutritionist and I was surprised by the insufficient calories i was eating although it seemed like i was always eating.

anyways, just a suggestion. good luck on finding your problem.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Most of the main points have been covered.

*Have you been checked for B-12?

*How much do you eat? List for us what you eat in a typical day. I can tell you within 10 seconds if it's food

*Do you do Yoga/pilates? No? Start. Don't want to go to a class? Buy a tape. Don't have money? Rent from library. Don't have a VCR? Go to a garage sale.

*Thyroid? Lupus? Chronic fatigue?

*Medications?

·
Registered
312 Posts
i know how you feel! i'm so tired by the afternoon... i usually feel okay mid morning but after I finish whatever activity i'm doing, the afternoon is just a looong, sleepy headache. damn headaches.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay let's see:

- I've never been tested for thyroid problems, lupus or B-12 levels. I've gone to various doctors I don't know how many times, and the only thing they ever check is my RBC.

- Medications - ventolin, flovent, flonase and depo-provera. The first two, I've been on for years. The flonase and depo I only starting taking within the past few years, so I don't think it's them, as I was feeling tired way before I started them.

- Meals:

Normally I only have a couple pieces of toast for breakfast. If I eat anything else, I end up feeling nauseous. I do take Vitamin C and echinacea in the mornings as well.

For lunch - pasta with broccoli and red peppers, mushroom fried rice, soup, veggie slice sandwiches, or leftovers.

Dinners - pastas, stir fries, neatball subs, veggie fajitas, veggie burgers, veggie hot dogs, french fries, salads

And then of course snacks - veggies and dip, popcorn, chips, etc

I don't think it's what I'm eating. I eat a lot.

- I do have a pilates tape, but that lasted about 2 weeks. I know that regular exercise increases energy, but frankly, I have a very physically demanding job at the moment. When I get home, doing more exercise is the last thing on my mind.

I don't get black outs or dizzy spells. But I do get migraines a lot.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Actually, you don't eat a lot
Add another 5 servings of fruits and vegetables to your day. A serving is: 1 single serving veggie/fruit (apple, pear, orange, carrot), 1 cup raw vegetables/fruit or 1/2 cup cooked vegetables/fruit. Anything with sugar or batter added to it no longer counts as a serving

The migraines, huh? Got some more questions/suggestions for you then. Did you eat a lot of processed meats before veg*ism? Hot dogs, hamburgers, fish sticks, etc? Is so, try cutting out all the processed foods in your diet currently. There are preservatives common in both meat and veggie processed foods that trigger migraines and, in some people, chronic fatigue-like symptoms. 30 days. No processed foods. This includes: processed "meats", fake cheese, hard, aged cheeses (especially cheddar), wine, pop and diet pop, and anything labeled "sugar-free." Yes, you can do it. No, it won't kill you. I promise
You may have an allergy to an additive and/or a food.

Do you have your eyes tested regularly? Inproper eyewear and strained vision will exhaust your body.

Even though it is hard, you must try a little exercise every day. I'm not suggesting jogging, but something like. Even 10 minutes of stretching would help.

Tell a doctor that you want to be tested for thyroid, B-12, anemia, and your blood sugar. If they won't do it, say that it runs in your family and you are interested in preventive measures

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
they'll do it, you just have to ask for it, they normally don't think to test for them unless they know you have the symptoms.

anyway it's just a simple blood test, you'll be in and out of the lab in 10 minutes tops

are you stressed out when you go to bed, mind still active etc? sometimes when i'm stressed out even if i can fall asleep quickly it's a restless sleep, i wake up more tired than when i went to bed, i'm going through this right now actually, try some meditation and deep breathing right before bed. i can give you an easy trick to try later, don't have time right now

you should still do the blood test though even if meditation works for you

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't eat a lot of processed foods back when I was an omni. I do rely on them heavily now though. I never drink wine, hardly ever drink pop and and you'd never catch me drinking/eating anything that's "diet" or "sugar free".

My glasses prescription is up to date. Just got a new pair in January. I shocked the doctor with how bad the astigmatism in my right eye is

I will try to eat more fresh fruits and veggies daily. And 10 minutes of stretching sounds good too.

I'm going to the doctor's within the next month, and I will insist on getting tested for the various things mentioned. Hopefully that will shed some light on things.

LadyFaile, I'd love to hear about your meditation trick! It usually takes me a long time to fall asleep because I am constantly worrying and going over stupid things in my head.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
cool, it's really quick and easy.

just before you get into bed, stand or sit with your feet flat on the floor, legs uncrossed. take slow deep breaths. visualize roots growing out from the base of your spine, like tree roots, growing down through your legs, out the bottoms of your feet, into the floor, down through all the layers of the earth, and at the core there's a ball of white light, imagine the roots wrapping themselves around it.

(that's a grounding technique)

now imagine white light coming from that core and traveling up the roots, up through the earth, through the floor, into your feet and filling your whole body and surrounding it.

(that's a protection technique) after it sometimes also helps to say in your head "i'm grounded and protected"

now get in bed and get comfortable. take a few deep breaths and try to clear your mind. eyes closed, inhale then exhale slowly saying in your mind "release" and imagine that with each exhale all your stress, thoughts, worries, and negative emotion are being released into white light. do it as many times as you need to. personally i usually just drift off to sleep after a few exhales

oh, but don't think of it really as a way to fall asleep, think of it as a way to release stress. that's what it is really, but i find the more i think about falling asleep the harder it is to do it

·
Registered
0 Posts
Isn't meditation great?

I like to lay in bed, close my eyes and stare into the nothingness. After a while dim flickerings of light appear. When I am able to keep my mind empty for a time the dim flickerings become brighter and bigger until my vision is engulfed by a pulsating white light. I hold onto that light for as long as I can. Not really longer than a few minutes, but I can hold that light longer now than when I started a year or so ago. Although I've never fallen asleep doing this, I find it very soothing.

rigmarole

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
SilverC, first of all, hey. Long time no see.

I work at a grocery store, and somedays I'm just completely drained of energy and the days drags on and on, but in the last 3 months or so, I've started to notice a very real correlation between my energy levels and what I've ate that day.

For instance, to keep my energy levels up, I'm trying very hard to minimize the amount of starchy refined things that I eat. That's potatos, chips, white rice or bread, etc. Simple sugars cause your energy levels to crash very quickly once you've used their energy up. I'm also watching the types of energy I'm putting into my body and trying hard not to mix them. For instance, I've noticed that if I eat a helping of tofu and a helping of rice, I'll feel really drained afterwards. So now, I'll either eat tofu, or rice. If I eat a cup or watermelon and then eat something hearty like bread, I'll also be completely drained. So I'll either eat some watermelon and maybe some OJ, or I'll eat a sandwich.

I hope this helps. It does sound like your situation could be more serious, however... but in the mean time, pay attention to what you eat and how it makes you feel.

(PS, try fruit in the morning instead of toast
)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Please, no amphetamines! Though chances are slim that it´s B12 (normal RBC, but no information on MCV), have it properly checked to rule it out.

How long do you sleep?

Did you suffer from a prolonged virus infection?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LadyFaile, thanks for the meditation tip! I tried it out last night, but my cat decided that it was time to rip my feet apart.
I'll try again tonight.

Hi Mikie! Good to see you again! (BTW I notice that you've taken up the veggie banner again at CoE! You brave guy, you!)

I'm thinking of making a chart of everything I eat, so that when I do go to the doctor, I can show him/her exactly what I'm eating. Hopefully, I'll get an open minded doctor who won't tell me that I need bloody slabs of meat to be healthy.

Lothar, I've never had any extended viral illnesses, and I sleep about 9-10 hours. But it's not very restful sleep, I'm usually up a few times a night.

Thanks again to everyone who's posted, and who've sent me PMs. I really appreciate it, and will post updates as time goes by.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts