VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what other people do when they are feeling down? Usually I don't allow my feelings to affect my life. Usually I am able to shut them off like a switch and just walk around like usual. But they are getting to me and I'm having trouble doing things like cooking myself dinner when I get home from work, doing laundry, going out on weekends etc. I know I should try harder to do fun things to build up my energy but seriously I feel so emotionally spent about 80% of the time that I can't bring myself to do it right now. But at the same time, isolating myself with my personal hobbies is becoming lonesome. I don't have any close friends where I am living and I don't know that I have the energy to be around anybody I don't know that well, I just wish I could be around people I know and trust. I'm saving up my money right now to go visit friends later this summer but what do I do now? What would you do? How do you get yourself out of a funk??

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I work out. It releases endorphins, which make you happy. I know it's hard to find the motivation to do it when all you want to do is curl up in bed and shut the world out, but it does help. I'm sorry you're going through this rough patch. Do you have any companion animals? Sometimes when I'm lonely I cuddle with my dog, bunny, or cats, and it helps.

·
Banned
841 Posts
I second exercise, as it's great for helping me to cope with stress before it starts, which I think is the key to good long-term stress management.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's a situation I am very familiar with.

Sometimes the soul calls out for something it needs.
Find a place where you belong.
For me, that's walking down a certain street at sunrise, or being anywhere outside between midnight and 5 AM.
I actually just rediscovered that recently - right when I needed it.

Find something that used to bring you contentment - even if you haven't been there in a while.
There's also someone told me off-hand once, that I always kept in my head;
"It comes in waves."
Dunno if that helps, but it's something I usually turn to.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
oohhh, sorry you're going through this. i can relate.
as the others posted, working out works wonders.
i also like to meditate. that really helps me to center myself.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yoga! Sometimes I come home from work so drained that I don't want to do my yoga but after I'm done, it's like all the weight of the day is gone and my mind is clear. Plus it's good for you and makes you flexible! ;-)

Do you like music? I have a few songs that always make me happy when I hear them. Mambo #5, Semi-charmed kind of life, etc. Music can do wonders for your soul.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha I somehow knew that exercise would be suggested. I try to exercise at least once a week. I feel better afterwards. I have a cat that I'll cuddle with sometimes. She always makes me smile. I've gotten back into writing and reading which helps.

It still feels like something is missing. I think it is true that I need to find a place I belong. There are also some things that I used to do that I never do anymore and I don't even remember what those things are. When I am in my emotionally depleted mood though nothing at all seems exciting, and all I can do to deal with it is curl up with a movie or a book, or just go to sleep.

I'll be setting up my garden this weekend, and that made me really happy last year so we'll see if that helps.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
meditate, accupuncture, yoga or pilates class, long phone call with a close friend, watch a sad movie and cry, cry, cry...makes me feel oodles of better.....dance.....listen to music, read, take a long hot bath, .....take a long walk......just be and breathe take a few minutes for me......clean up the clutter....its strange but I always feel better when things are clean and in order and of course retail therapy....I coupon shop and go donate my goodies that ALWAYS makes me feel better when I am focusing on someone else.....hope your gardening rocks and you are feeling sun-shiney soon

Peace

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

you are feeling sun-shiney soon
This made me think of something else. Get some sunshine while you are gardening! Soaking in some sun always raises my spirits. :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I was just assigned to work a new call center at work and to say that it is a grueling, life sucking, energy drain would be putting it lightly. I have found that after my fourth phone call in a row where someone is screaming at me, cursing at me or insulting my intelligence for something I didn't do, it greatly helps me to get up and walk around or send a text to my mom. The texting helps because it allows me to connect to the "real world" for a moment and she always responds with something to lift my spirits. Outside of work, I work out, write in my journal, browse bookstores and collect jewelry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I work out every day.

I MAKE SURE I am getting proper nutrition. If you find yourself with some time, check out http://nutritiondata.self.com/, put some kind of food up top and you can get some very detailed information on vitamins, minerals, amino acids and whatever else. Lacking in certain nutrients can easily adversly affect your mood.

Eat enough carbs and healthy fats. You probably do this already.

I went through "bad times" for 20 years of my life, so I know it well. Since changing my diet and exercising regularly, I have a hard time feeling down.

Currently, I'm jobless, I had to move back in with my parents after over 10 years of living on my own, I have very few friends, I am single. I could make an infinite list of things I could consider to be negative, but I'm still happy. I would have been devastated if it were the past. Amazing how things change.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kraftykraft and couverture, i'm glad that you're able to stay positive despite personal stresses. It shows that happiness is all in your state of mind.

I just spent another weekend feeling completely devoid of energy. But instead of sitting around and feeling bad about it, I forced myself to go out. I didn't do very much, mind you, but I was able to pick up some plants, some food, and today I went for a bike ride. Part of the energy drain is hormonal, this particular weekend anyway. It has been rainy and cloudy too which is rather depressing. I often feel like I need the sun in order to feel happy, weird as that may sound. I keep having naps and no amount of coffee or tea is helping me. I think part of it is also just loneliness. I have been trying harder to connect with people and I find that my energy picks up at work after having a good conversation with someone. I've made arrangements to visit one of my very good friends in a few weeks, so looking forward to that.

My health benefits at work just kicked in. So i'll be opting into that soon so that I can go to a doctor and see what is going on. I have problems with my back that make me feel tired (back hurts a lot) and I've been having weird digestive issues. I'm starting to wonder if my fatigue is something physical and not emotional. Or perhaps it is a combination of things. ANyway, tha'ts just my update in case anyone is curious.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
hmmm digestive problems and feeling exhausted....ever been checked for a gluten intolerance? just a thought anyway......have that checked when you get to your Dr's.

can you get involved a single's group like for volleyball or whatever they do where you are, any hiking groups, environmental, hobby groups you can find? Sounds like you need some more socialization with people. any veg groups there?

take a run through these symptoms and see if any other ones apply http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001280/

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I second getting your health thoroughly screened. I felt so sluggish and depressed when i had a b12 deficiency - it was bad. But perhaps some sort of spiritual connection is what you are missing. Depending on where you are religiously, you might want to look into a church. If you don't usually find "church" your cup ot tea, Unitarian Universalists generally welcome all those on a spiritual journey, and sitting with a Buddhist group can help you feel connected to the rest of the world. I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. I actually keep meaning to get checked for gluten intolerance because it seems my digestion is horrible whenever I have a lot of breads in my diet but when I cut back on it, I am okay. I guess I am scared to look into it because I love bread and dont'want to be told I can't eat it anymore. I know there is gluten-free stuff but I don't want to have celiac disease

Come to think of it, my mother has digestion issues and she doesn't have food allergies, so maybe I inherited crappy intestines.

I agree I need more socialization. I've been forcing myself to get out more and whenever I spend time with people I enjoy, I feel so energized afterward! There are a few different writing meet-ups and get-togethers in my city I should probably go to. Also I'll be starting yoga classes next week that I'll be going to with a friend every sunday, so I'm hoping that will help.

Anyway this whole weekend I've been struggling to do anything and I think it's just my lack of a healthy social life. I am feeling quite lonely and bummed out. Normally it doesn't bother me to be alone a lot. But then again I used to be quite the angry person. I would rather be sad since now I know what I need to do to fix things. It's my own fault really.

Thanks for the support.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Regarding the digestive and back issues, as well as general fatigue, it may also be a root chakra issue, which is something your yoga instructor should know a bit about. If it's something you're open-minded about, eating lots of naturally red foods is probably the easiest way to energize that chakra, which for me has relieved a lot of the symptoms you mentioned.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

How do you get yourself out of a funk??
Not recommending this as I have no idea if, to other people, it might be useless, or worse. Works ok for me though.

When I recognise that I am in a funk I take the mindset that I will 'savour' the feeling of being in a funk for as long as it lasts.

Can't explain this very well but it is kinda like that as soon as I manage to 'enjoy' the feeling of being in a funk then the funk just kinda dissapears.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts