VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i emailed my principal about cutting out dissection and he never e-mailed me back.....I was thinking that if he got enough e-mails and calls he would stop dissection.

Also i have pasted the e-mail i sent him that explains dissection is wrong.

Hello my name is _______ and I am a freshman at _______ and I would really like it if you could cut out dissection. Children should be taught to respect life. If they start by des-respecting the lives of animals most likely they will move on to humans. Many test have shown that people who are violent to animals or kill animals eventually move on to humans. These links prove this theory http://www.animalliberationfront.com...ked/crimes.htm

http://www.peta.com/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=92 In the last link it says quote Serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer attributed his fascination with murder and mutilation to classroom dissections. In the last interview before his death, televised on Dateline NBC, Dahmer stated, In the ninth grade biology class, we had the usual dissection of fetal pigs. I took home the skeleton. Started branching out with dogs, catsI suppose it could have turned into a normal hobby like taxidermy, but instead it became this. I dont know why. It became a compulsion. According to Dahmer, he enjoyed the excitement and power he experienced when cutting up animals and fantasized about cutting up a human body. Not only does dissection send a wrong message to kids but there are many alternatives from models that you can take apart to computer programs.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Can the prinicipal cut out dissection? I didn't think they had that power, since it's in most cirriculums? I could be wrong...

It's good to write letters, don't stop! Have you tried contacting your board of education members? What state are you in? In most places you don't have to praticipate in the dissections and they can't fail you if you don't join in them. If your state doesn't have this law yet, maybe you should aim for that!

If he doesn't want to read the letters don't stop there! Print out a bunch of info (and not all from animal activists groups, as some people will not belive all the info they give) write down some thoughts about why you think dissection is wrong, and schleude a sit down meeting with him.

How is your scientist teacher? Maybe she or he could help you with who to contact?

Good luck and don't give up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts