VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you get an email from someone that has a message similar to the following... then the person sending you that message is already infected. Don't open the attachment. The message usually resembles this:

-------------------------------------------

Hello there,

I would like to inform you about important information regarding your email address. This email address will be expiring.

Please read attachment for details

-------------------------------------------

The attachment is seen as "message.zip"

It's a trojan worm virus... delete it.

http://[email protected]

So far today I have received 18 emails with this attachment which indicates, to me anyway, the worm is making its rounds pretty good. For anyone who has the option to automatically launch attachments checked in their email reader, it's a good idea to probably turn that off to avoid getting infected by these annoying worms that show up occasionally.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks, Robert. I'm always paranoid about these things because we picked up three viruses at once from an e-mail one time. Cost us way too much to have it fixed.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VegAnaconda: No... the Symantec link is just the response that tells you about the trojan, and it also gives removal intructions towards the bottom of the page for anyone who is already infected. The Symantec site also provides a direct link to a patch available from Microsoft to patch the vulnerability that this Trojan worm exploits.

To avoid getting infected, install the patch provided by Microsoft that is listed on the Symantec page. Then, if you get an email that has that message I described in my first post, then pay no attention to it and delete it. It's a trojan worm mailed to you by an infected user.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The patch for Microsoft is free. The virus definitions links on the Symantec page is for owners of Norton Anti-Virus. For updated virus definitions for any other anti-virus program, you'll need to go to the website for that specific anti-virus program.

For example, if you use McAfee Anti-Virus, you'd need to go to McAfee's site to download updated virus definitions.

I use Norton Anti-Virus, and they have a Live Update feature for about 5 bucks a year. My anti-virus definitions are downloaded and updated automatically as soon as they are available.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Well since like all whom have automatic updates sent to their NortonAntiVirus software such as I do, all the very latest stuff should be in amongst the bundle of updates I'm supposing that get delivered to me every so often as with your Norton.... And I guess I can check that on my Norton details for whether such and such a virus protection has been included.. I don't figure Norton would be so neglectful as to leave out the most rampant or unpredictable viruses nor as for the smaller nuisance ones would they?? Norton is said to be the undisputed best afterall!!

So I'm basicly saying those with Norton need hardly do anything right!
Just sit back and take it easy!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehe, Norton can only do so much. Nothing beats taking a common sense approach to safe surfing and making certain you know exactly what you are opening in an email, or downloading and installing. Of course, keeping the holes patched in Windows is important as well.

Who knows, maybe some day Microsoft will actually release a piece of software that has been tested thoroughly before being released. It cracks me up. Only Microsoft could convince consumers to basically pay to be a Beta tester of their software releases.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hoo, my dad was telling me about that one today. Evidently some of the computers at the Mayo Clinic (in Rochester) got that. Big crash. *shakes her fist* Darn you stupid viruses!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts