VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

My 6month old kitty, Ella is very mischivious and although I can curb most of her naughty behaviour with my trusty water spray bottle, I can't stop her shreading the toilet paper.

Ella not only takes all the toilet paper off the roll, but she then shreds it to bits. I can't tell her off for doing this as she only does it when no-one's home or when we're asleep.

We've taken to having to keep the paper in the cupboard and taking it out only when we need to use it, although this is really incovienient, especially when we have guests.

Does anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Don't let her have access to the loo? Or is it a combined loo/bathroom? That's how we solved our toilet shredding problem, by keeping the door shut.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Maybe place a washcloth over the toilet paper roll when you're not using it? It would be easy to take off and on and *might* deter her.

This story so brings me back. I had a wonderful, perfect, beautiful kitty, Flower (which is why I chose this for my username, BTW) and she looooooved to shred the toilet paper. It was oh so cute, yet oh so naughty. *Sigh* I miss her so much.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I'm such an advocate for the squirt bottle... but you gotta catch her in the act. Bring her into the bathroom with you and wait for her to attack the toilet paper, then spray her with the water bottle. Keep a squirt bottle by the toilet paper to scare her away from it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a joint bathroom/laundry/loo (very big room) and that's where here litter tray is. Our ensuite is loo/bathroom, but I've broken the sliding door and can't close it.

The problem with the squirt bottle is the fact that I've NEVER seen her do it. EVER. she's knows it's naughty, that's why she does it when I'm not there. I know she's just trying to annoy me.

I shall try covering it with a towel. Thanks for all your advice.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh, this takes me back. When I first brought my two cats home from the humane society, they were "bathroom terrors." I would come home to find the trash can knocked over, contents all over the floor; the toilet paper unrolled and shredded all over the floor; and the worst (but funniest), was that they were pulling open the cabinet under the sink and pulling out and shredding my TAMPONS. Oh my God, you have never been so embarrassed as to have company over and have your cat come trotting into the room with a clean tampon hanging, like a little white mouse, from her mouth. I'd usually find the cardboard tube thing behind the couch later.

I ended up having to just keep the toilet paper in the cabinet, put a lid on the trash can, and move my "feminine products" to the medicine cabinet.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL Firebird. I swear sometimes cat must sit and conspire ways of how to embarress/annoy us that particular day, but you can't help but laugh at them

·
Registered
122 Posts
You're not kidding. The funniest thing is that my Dad saw her first, and was like, "what's that hanging from her mouth?" And my Mom was, "Oh...oh my God, it's a tampon!"
At which point she and I collapsed in hysterics - my Dad got all red in the face, but he laughed, too.

I swear every one of my pets waits for the exact perfect moment to embarrass me. We had 2 couples over for dinner a few weeks ago and my dog, Max, strolled through the dining room and let rip the smelliest fart imaginable while we were eating dinner. You could look around the table and see who the smell was hitting - first they'd get a puzzled look, then the scrunched up nose, until all 6 of us were hysterical laughing.

But it's one of the reasons I love them so much - they make me laugh every day.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
haha

mine does the TP thing too. usually while i'm in the shower. he's one of those that has to be in the bathroom with me. i'll be showering, minding my own business, then catch a glimpse of suspicious movement through the glass shower door, poke my head out, and he's sitting on the toilet lid spinning the toilet paper round and round, goin at it with both front paws with such a look of concentration. i can't help but laugh. then yell and splash water out at him

eta: oh, i figured out that since our TP holder is directly below the towel rack, i can just slide the towel over so that it's covering the TP when i get in the shower. or if the towel we have there at the time is too short i hang my shirt or something off the towel rack instead. plus if i put an inch or two of water in the sink with the plug in, he'll usually just sit and splash in the sink instead.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LadyFaile, I know what you mean about your kitty having to be in the bathroom when you are. Ella normally just sits on the sink and waits for me to get out, but if I take a while cuz I'm shaving my legs, she jumps up on top of the shower screen and sits there looking at me and waits for me to get out. It's so funny.

Considering cats aren't supposed to like water, they can be so funny. Ella always plays in the water in the bottom of the shower, or if I leave a tap running really lightly she plays in it.

Animals are so cute.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
my cat won't drink out of regular water bowl, only the old water that builds up in dirty dishes in the sink. So I have to keep a bowl full of fresh water for her in the sink to keep her happy.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
that's funny. my cat only does that if the pot or bowl in the sink had tomato soup or some kind of tomato sauce in it. we'll just fill them with water to soak til we wash them so they don't stain, so he'll drink the dilluted tomato-water. ugh.

the shower thing isn't so bad now that we have shower doors. our old place was just a shower curtain, and we had to replace it like once a month or more often. he'd shred them. the first thing he'd do with a new curtain was make a hole big enough for his head at just the right height so he could sit on the outside and poke his head through while i was showering. always startled me so bad, once or twice i almost slipped and fell because of it lol

maybe that's why he turned to toilet paper, no more vinyl curtains to shred

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
hehe..

Well, back on the toilet paper problem, one quick easy thing you could try is turning the toilet paper around. Most people like their toilet paper to go over the top and down the front, and if that's how yours is, turn it around so that it goes up and down the back and is thus not as easy to spin out. It not the best idea and won't work a lot of times, but it's easy to do and might slow down your cat every once in a while.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Jessie, my 17 year old, is my shredder.
I finally bought a toilet paper holder that has one of those decorative brass flaps that goes over the roll, but it's a pain to put a new roll on. Before I bought that holder, we just kept the toilet paper on the toilet tank. Jessie has never limited herself to shredding toilet paper--rolls of gift wrap are also not safe from being turned into piles of confetti, so they have to be stored out of reach.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Success! I've tried the towel over the toilet paper thing and she hasn't been able to get to it, but she did have a good scratch on the towel. I came home to find chunks of dark green fluff on the bathroom floor.

I think I shall continue to use the towel for now. Hopefully she'll grow out of the habit.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
woohoo. now quick get her a good scratching post before she takes up ripping apart towels instead

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i know how you feel, mine's been trying to climb the walls lately, literally. i have to strategically place blankets/throws and tables to block the backs of the chairs and couches

·
Registered
0 Posts
I didn't read all the responses but I have two thoughts in progress. My first thought is to balance a small cup of water on top of the roll so that when she starts to bat at it, it might topple over on her. Even if it didn't topple onto her, it'd get her feet wet and she'd hate that.

My other thought is to take a roll of paper and put clear, double-sided tape allll over the outside of the roll so that it basically "looks" like a roll of toilet paper, but when she'd go to bat at it, it'd be all sticky. They don't like sticky things on their paws.

That's my .02¢

1 - 20 of 33 Posts