Registered
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following message was recieved by me:

For Immediate Release

May 20, 2003

ELF CLAIMS RESPONSIBILITY FOR APRIL SUV ATTACKS IN SANTA CRUZ

The ELF Press Office has received the following communique claiming

responsibility for attacks on SUVs in Santa Cruz that took place April 15th.

<begin communique>

The Earth Liberation Front Santa Cruz is claiming responsibilty for the

early morning April 15th attack of an estimated 15 SUVs with bright orange

paint. The bigger the SUV the harder it was attacked. It seems the "local"

paper, the Santa Cruz Sentinel, which is owned by the same company as the

Wall Street Journal, decided that the attacks wern't serious enough to cover.

Well, I can assure them that ELF SC is serious about it's dedication to 'covering'

these gas-hogs. Perhaps the press is afraid that this eco-conscience

attitude will spread to others. ELF SC hopes that is does.

SUVs consume an extra million barrels of oil a day. For this oil the US

fights wars and seeks to destroy beautiful ancient treasures like the Alaska

Wild Life Refuge. A large amount of the profits made from oil go to

Individual Saudi's who give a percentage of their profit to terrorist groups like Al

Qaida. In addition, SUVs are destroying our air because they are aloud to

Spew out 30 percent more carbon monoxide, hydro carbons, and 75 percent more

nitrogen oxides than passenger cars. Federal law also allows SUVs to

consume 33 percent more gasoline than passenger car. It seems that our leaders

don't realize that oil is a limited supply. There is a Bad Religion song that

states, "We can't do nothing and hope that someone else will make things

right," so get out there and attack some of these gas hogs.

Wear a large all black sweat shirt with a baseball hat to help cover your

Face from video cameras. Also wear gloves and remember that Elfs are always

Aware of their surroundings. Let's SUV attacks a national phenomin and make

People think twice about buying these gas hogs. Happy hunting!

ELF SC

<end communique>

The Earth Liberation Front is an international underground organization that

uses direct action in the form of economic sabotage to stop the destruction

of the natural environment. Since 1997, the ELF in North America has caused

over $45 million in damages to entities who profit from the destruction of life

and the planet.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Those people are such *******s... and they're stupid.

When they tip the SUVs a bigger towtruck or something is going to be used to untip them... and the scratches have to be repaired so they'll probably need a new paintjob. I love how all the things used to undo the damage causes extra harm to the environment.

They're a bunch of self-righteous idiots.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally also think the repairing causes more pollution.

That's why I wouldn't do it my self.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The SUV thing has gotten out of hand. My husband drives an Expedition because he builds movie sets and has to cart his tools back and forth from home to work. He used to have a regular truck but would then have to unload all of his tool boxes and lock them up because they were accessable in the back of the pickup. Now he just locks the doors. Plus, we just had a baby, so we needed a car for him that had a back seat. We bought it used and it has been wonderful. So not everyone driving a SUV is a yuppie soccer mom. BTW, I drive a Honda CRV which is like a mini SUV, but it gets much better mileage. I just wish they would come out with a hybrid PT Cruser!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
hahaha, I think it's funny that the local paper didn't cover it. Sorry, I know this is probably supposed to be a pro ELF thread, but I found that sentence funny in the communique. Good for the Sentinal.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Quote:
Marie Says:

They're a bunch of self-righteous idiots.
Quote:
Beachgirl says:

The SUV thing has gotten out of hand.
Quote:
Epski says:

This is sad. Destruction is not the way to positive change.
Exactly.

45 million dollars worth of damage... and then they "claim responsibility", in the same fashion as other terrorist groups announcing what they've done. What's next, a video every two months

These criminals need to be jailed, and left to rot.

·
Registered
0 Posts
So, trampling down the gates of the German concentration camps were wrongful actions? No they weren't, and neither was the killing of the camps' SS-soldiers. Unless you support speciesism, you'll realize there isn't really a difference. It is ONLY wrong as far as it harms the fight against human-chauvinism, speciesism and any other form of chauvinism.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
SUV are pretty stupid, but so is vandalism. Seriously is wrecking someone's SUV going to make them think "Hey, my SUV is unsafe and burns lots of gasoline...that's bad! I better go buy a Honda Insight right now!"?

No, they will instead be pissed as hell at whoever did it and if that vandal did it because he is an environmentalist, I guarantee the victim of that crime will become even more anti-environment.

Wrecking a few SUVs won't save the world. Changing people's attitudes gradually just might.

Oh and Martin the liberation of Nazi Germany by the Allied Forces (who drove around in big, gas guzzling vehicles) is the same as some bored hippies rolling someone's Bronco over. I loathe SUVs, but the people who drive them are not evil. I drive a car too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I never said that this action would do any good, or that people who drive are evil.

I agree with you that this probably will turn people away from environmentalism.. Sadly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i'm not a big fan of all elf/alf actions but a lot of them i have no problems with.

in my opinion vandalism isnt an 'automatic' crime. i think there is often more involved. why is private property so great.. why cant it be a crime?

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin

So, trampling down the gates of the German concentration camps were wrongful actions? No they weren't, and neither was the killing of the camps' SS-soldiers. Unless you support speciesism, you'll realize there isn't really a difference. It is ONLY wrong as far as it harms the fight against human-chauvinism, speciesism and any other form of chauvinism.

You're welcome.
There's a message board game about this sort of subject. Like... the person who brings up Hitler or the Nazis first loses? I wish I had that link.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marie

There's a message board game about this sort of subject. Like... the person who brings up Hitler or the Nazis first loses? I wish I had that link.
Loses what?? Is this a game to you?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.