VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question, but I dont understand the egg making process.

I would never eat eggs from commercial farms, but suppose I had my own pet chicken, or knew someone with pet chickens, could I eat their eggs without harming the birds?

Also, I've heard that for every female who lays eggs a male dies... I dont understand this connection at all. Can someone please explain the process or point me to a link? I'm not looking for anything about the horrible conditions on battery egg farms, and I'm aware that "cage free" eggs are probably not much better, but does eating eggs necessarily have to harm the birds?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Hens lay eggs, and don;t need roosters to do this- if there's no rooster around, the eggs will be infertile. So if you had a small flock of hens, you could collect the eggs and no chickens would be harmed.

But for every hen who is hatched, a rooster is also hatched on the average. Egg farms have no need for the roosters, so the roosters are usually killed as chicks or get killed early as broilers. If you bought your hens from a breeder, most would argue that you would basically be supporting this death of male chicks. If you somehow rescued your hens from someplace, as some of my friends have, this would no be a problem. (Others here know more about this issue than I do)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Tom's got it right. In factory farming, male chicks are killed because they are useless in the laying business. Female layers are also killed as soon as they aren't useful anymore.

I have several chickens, all adopted from friends whose flocks were too big. They're free-range, meaning they can wander whatever they want and forage for food to supplement what we give them. We eat their eggs. In fact, many domestic chickens don't even realize that they are supposed to sit on them, so there's not even any trauma trying to seperate the chicken from its eggs. If you want to eat eggs, pet chickens are by far the best source. Like Tom said, though, if you buy your chickens, you're probably going to support someone who sends their males to be slaughtered.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
eggs are chicken periods.
I guess if you just had hens then you'd be making the roosters sexually frustrated...

·
Registered
79 Posts
In addition to the cruelties already mentioned:

- Modern laying hens have ben intensively bred to lay about ten times more eggs per year than in the wild. To put that in human terms, that would be like having a period every three days. The unnaturally high frequency of egg-laying takes a toll on the hens' bodies. They also lose more minerals as a result. The risk of complications, such as prolapses (in which the egg gets stuck to the uterine wall) increases as well - especially since we've bred hens to lay larger eggs.

- Eggs aren't superfluous junk that have no value to animals. Sometimes hens will eat the infertile eggs themselves, to get back nutrients. On at least one farm sanctuary that I know of, the eggs are collected and mixed into the hens feed. At another sanctuary, the eggs are collected and fed to local wildlife.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post

If I had the space to raise free roaming chickens I would eat thier eggs but I don't, so I don't eat egss!
Ditto.

Living in a trailer hinders this but I recently met people who keep a small farm. Might talk to them.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The neat thing about only having hens is the egg is infertile, meaning it's not considered an abortion because of the fact that it won't ever hatch a baby. It's just an egg, not a future chick.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have a flock of chickens at home, all hens & one rooster. Most are rescues, some did come from a hatchery before I knew better. All but 3 are considered "laying hens" and they do not "go broody" which means they're not bred to be good mothers. They lay eggs but will not sit on them, will not try to hatch them, would make terrible mothers. They couldn't care less about their eggs & do not mind me taking them.

I have three hens, rescues, which are specifically bred to BE broody. They are very small bantams though, and my rooster is very large, so they never breed. I allow these girls to sit on their eggs all they want, even though they are infertile and will never hatch, just because they are good mama's and they DO mind me taking their eggs. When the eggs never hatch, they give up and abandon the clutch & I dispose of the eggs.

For the other eggs, I do eat them. I give them to my dogs & cats, and I give them to my family who would otherwise be buying factory farmed eggs.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
For the broody hens with infertile eggs, give them some fake eggs to sit on.

As someone else mentioned laying eggs (reproduction turned on high) is detrimental to health unless the feed keeps up with the extra nutrient needs. A combination of a layer feed for the extra vitamins they need and good foraging for bugs should work. Might want to supervise them in a veggie garden, they'll happily eat produce and bugs at the same time.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I saw a video once that really turned me off eggs. As others have pointed out, the problem with eggs is that only half of the chickens will lay eggs.

The video showed a large scale egg farm. Of course, all the chickens come from hatched eggs. It showed hundreds of these bright yellow, cute little newborn baby chicks all packed tightly into a moving conveyor belt. They go along until they hit a sorting point. The conveyor belt splits into two, the males are sorted to one side, the females to the other side. The female chicks go into the barn. The male chick belt suddenly ends, dropping them live into a meat grinder. The ground up chicks are then fed to other animals.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

I saw a video once that really turned me off eggs. As others have pointed out, the problem with eggs is that only half of the chickens will lay eggs.

The video showed a large scale egg farm. Of course, all the chickens come from hatched eggs. It showed hundreds of these bright yellow, cute little newborn baby chicks all packed tightly into a moving conveyor belt. They go along until they hit a sorting point. The conveyor belt splits into two, the males are sorted to one side, the females to the other side. The female chicks go into the barn. The male chick belt suddenly ends, dropping them live into a meat grinder. The ground up chicks are then fed to other animals.
I seen something like that on "How it's made"

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I read an article once called, "fear of a vegan planet". It discussed the male chick's fate. Ground up for food or spread as fertlizer over some parts of land. It was a crazy article and went over some things I'll never foreget.

·
Registered
897 Posts
i come at this from a mostly animal cruelty and environmental direction, so with that in mind, i wouldn't have a problem with eating eggs if the circumstances were right. there will be major differences of opinion on this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.