VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a vegetarian for 10 years now. So, my girlfriend who isn't a vegetarian comes home with some food thing last night and says she's really happy about this thing and it's delicious. It looked like a pale version of hummus, and she's eating it on humus. She tells me what it was, but I can't remember right now, and says I can't eat it because it has roe in it.

A minute later she says, "Although, you do eat eggs."

And so, I was wondering. Is it any different to eat fish eggs, than chicken eggs? So, does that mean vegetarians could eat caviar? I don't know much about fish eggs, and have never even thought of eating them, and probably never will, but just the idea had me thinking for a while. And so I wanted to throw it out to other vegetarians and see what others think.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Thread on Caviar

Here is a discussion about it - might find your answers quicker there.

But I view them as equal in terms of ethics, one kills the animal directly to get the product - and in chicken egg processing, all male chicks are killed.

but I am a vegan extremist TERRORIS, so perhaps your looking for answers from someone still eating chicken eggs.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I eat chicken eggs *gets bashed*

But seriously, I assume (but do not know for certain) fish eggs are about to develope into little fish, thus destroying a life, where as chicken eggs people eat don't have a chance to develope into little chickens, because they aren't fertilized.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that was a helpful thread.

basically all i needed to know was that the fish were killed for it.

Say NO to roe!

thanks.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I hear that caviar is nasty anyway. They were just talking about it on the radio this morning. They were saying that caviar and art are things that rich people pretend to like just because it's expensive.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdoginc View Post

that was a helpful thread.

basically all i needed to know was that the fish were killed for it.

Say NO to roe!

thanks.
what... about... the .... chickens... killed... in... the .... egg... process...?

..cant...resist... must....

/runs back to the saftey of the vegan subforum.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know, I just think that eggs are truly awefull. I whole heartedly consider them to be a meat. I've been a vegetarian for around 10 years and my husband for only one, he was shocked when I told him that some vegetarians eat eggs.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I concur with the idea that roe/caviar is pre-birthed baby fish. They aren't unfertilized eggs. I liken them to fertilized chicken eggs, which aren't vegetarian.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Uh, folks - to set the record straight.

Most fish eggs, particularly those that are eaten as caviar, are fertilized through spawning, where the female ejects the unfertilized fish into the water and then they are fertilized by the male.

Caviar is extracted from the fish, and is not fertilized.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
its ok.

people are trying to come up with reasons that allow them to eat chicken eggs while still finding caviar ethically wrong

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
That wasn't my motive. There are plenty of reasons to not eat caviar. I just feel that principles should be based on matters of truth.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

I hear that caviar is nasty anyway. They were just talking about it on the radio this morning. They were saying that caviar and art are things that rich people pretend to like just because it's expensive.
yeah! and like, all those people that eat roe on sushi rolls? a bunch of posers!

give me a break. The idea that caviar is a "rich people food" is completely false. It's an acquired taste, much like eggplant, soymilk, wine, beer, tofu, etc... it's not that expensive and people eat it because they like it.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

Spoken like a true poor person.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

its ok.

people are trying to come up with reasons that allow them to eat chicken eggs while still finding caviar ethically wrong
Actually, no. I was truly just plain wrong. I wasn't trying to justify anything. Probably because my only experience with roe was when my dad or grandpa caught a "pregnant"(?) fish and when they gutted it, it had a bunch of eggs in it. Apparently I need to brush up on my fish mating habits.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts