VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a question about eggs.

My Uncle Dale and my Uncle Roy own a farm. These two are a couple and have been

since I can remember. They even adopted a premie crack baby who they lovingly call

"spek" on account of his size. They are fun and nice people who wouldn't harm a fly.

They own a stable of pets literally a couple horses and a few barn cats and a few dogs.

They also have chickens not to eat but as a farm type of pet. These chickens are not

killed for meat and even have names like spike,tobias,lucinda. Anyway they are fed

well and are as free range as you can have, only limited by property fences. These

chickens do have a coup and my uncles take the eggs. Now I have had a few

discussions with my club about the ethics of eating these eggs. I question if its okay

these chickens are not stressed and are well taken car of. Is it vegan to eat the eggs?

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
A vegan is someone who doesn't eat or use animal products, so no

A vegan who eats eggs would be like a virgin who has sex, does not compute.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I get that point but I thought it was more due to the animals being mistreated. I don't eat them but my uncles give me hell about not eating them. And they make the point they are not mistreated and they could really leave if they please barbed wire isn't going to stop chickens. They produce the egg regardless of human intervention. I do not really have a response after that other than other vegans say its not vegan.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.L.F View Post

I get that point but I thought it was more due to the animals being mistreated. I don't eat them but my uncles give me hell about not eating them. And they make the point they are not mistreated and they could really leave if they please barbed wire isn't going to stop chickens. They produce the egg regardless of human intervention. I do not really have a response after that other than other vegans say its not vegan.
It's not vegan because a vegan is someone who doesn't use animal products, that's the definition.

Its more a matter of using the right terminology to describe yourself than ethics, it wouldn't make any sense to call yourself a vegan while eating eggs because it goes against the very definition of what the word means.

Now as far as ethics ARE concerned I'd say those hens are being treated like pets and it sounds like they have good lives and won't ever be killed when they stop laying as much. So if you're comparing eating those eggs to eating eggs from a factory farm there's really no comparison, it's a million times better than eating eggs from chickens that have been basically tortured their whole miserable lives.

However, I personally wouldn't eat the eggs because I don't think animals are ours to use or treat as commodities. Quite simply the eggs aren't mine to take and I don't need them so why bother?

You can make your own decision about whether to start eating your uncles eggs or not, but if you do you'll be a vegetarian not vegan

·
Registered
889 Posts
Is it vegan?
Is it okay?

You have two mutually exclusive questions here but the real question you should be asking is: which is these questions is more important to you?

·
Banned
19 Posts
Its not vegan to eat the eggs through definition but the eggs are produced without any stress to the chickens so if being vegan is important to you don't eat the eggs. If you like eggs, and don't want to be vegan, hook in son. They are probably the best there is.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's not vegan, but it's up to you to decide if it's ethical. I think your ethics matter more than confirming to a label, whether or not you eat them.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Except for the fact that if you stop having sex, you won't be a virgin again.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by affidavit View Post

It's not vegan, but it's up to you to decide if it's ethical. I think your ethics matter more than confirming to a label, whether or not you eat them.
Bwahahahahahaha

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It's not vegan. Vegans believe animals aren't here for our use. That's why we don't eat eggs. It's not about how well the animals are treated or not treated.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

Is it vegan?
Is it okay?

You have two mutually exclusive questions here but the real question you should be asking is: which is these questions is more important to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatzo View Post

Its not vegan to eat the eggs through definition but the eggs are produced without any stress to the chickens so if being vegan is important to you don't eat the eggs. If you like eggs, and don't want to be vegan, hook in son. They are probably the best there is.
I agree with both of you
Nicely said.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

It's not vegan. Vegans believe animals aren't here for our use. That's why we don't eat eggs. It's not about how well the animals are treated or not treated.
Disagree a little. I'm a vegan, but I see no ethical problem with eating those eggs; I don't believe animals are ours to use, but I think there's a balance. What makes me adhere to a vegan diet IS the way in which animals are treated; as commodities which can be killed and mistreated for our pleasure. Example; if someone provided some sort of product they produced for me in exchange for something such food and board, there's no ethical problem with taking that product. If I locked them up, forced them to produce that product at a faster rate than they could cope with, took it from them, sold it, and killed them when they couldn't make any more...

This doesn't extend to meat and dairy, because a creature always dies for those.

It is, however, not vegan. The eggs thing, I mean.

·
Registered
126 Posts
eating eggs does not mean vegan. However, if you like eggs too much to stop eating them, then this would be the best source. FYI, when chickens lay eggs which are not fertilized, they eat it themselves to gain back the nutrition from it, especially the calcium in the shells. That being said, you could always split the eggs with the hens. Anyways, if you eat eggs, but no other animal products, you would be called an "ovo-vegetarian", if a label is what you're looking for. ^^ best of luck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

Are there roosters on the farm? If not, what happened to the ladies' brothers?
My question too. Where did your family get those hens? If they ordered them at the feed store like most people do, it means that the little boy chicks all got killed (probably ground up) so that they could sell little hens. Ethically speaking, those hens were hatched into a violent situation. I wouldn't want to be part of that violence.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Disagree a little. I'm a vegan, but I see no ethical problem with eating those eggs; I don't believe animals are ours to use, but I think there's a balance. What makes me adhere to a vegan diet IS the way in which animals are treated; as commodities which can be killed and mistreated for our pleasure. Example; if someone provided some sort of product they produced for me in exchange for something such food and board, there's no ethical problem with taking that product. If I locked them up, forced them to produce that product at a faster rate than they could cope with, took it from them, sold it, and killed them when they couldn't make any more...

This doesn't extend to meat and dairy, because a creature always dies for those.

It is, however, not vegan. The eggs thing, I mean.
I suppose I shouldn't have implied that ALL vegans believe animals are not here to be used. I should have said that is what I believe. I wouldn't eat/use any animal products no matter how well the animals were treated. But I do understand that some vegans might not see an ethical problem with eating those eggs. It's still not vegan, though (looks like we both agree on that.)

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.L.F View Post

They produce the egg regardless of human intervention.
No they don't. Modern chickens produce eggs PRECISELY because of human intervention. Wild chickens lay only ten to twelve eggs each spring, though if something happens to that clutch they are capable of producing another. Human beings have taken advantage of this by interfering with their natural cycles for the express purpose of turning them into biological egg factories. Everything about the modern egg laying hen is a direct result of human intervention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Disagree a little. I'm a vegan, but I see no ethical problem with eating those eggs; I don't believe animals are ours to use, but I think there's a balance.
I don't think it is ethical to benefit from the exploitation of any animal, under any circumstances, including the circumstances of "rescued" hens. If a person truly wishes to give those hens a break, they would feed their eggs back to them. If a person is "rescuing" them to provide a source of non-factory farmed eggs, ok, but still not ethical, based on what's been done to those hens in order to get them to produce eggs all year.

It's just not ethical to take advantage of abused animals, even if you don't need to abuse them to get what you want from them

·
Registered
419 Posts
I give my roos to other flocks. Since everyone just keeps one, when he dies, you get kind of stuck. It also helps keep from inbreeding. Three of my chickens are hatchery, but they're sold unsexed, though I only have them because the hatchery sent them to my workplace by mistake.

On topic though, they're not vegan, but it's really up to you. The eggs themselves are being produced without cruelty, and if they are hatchery chicks, that's another level to consider, but it's up to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

My question too. Where did your family get those hens? If they ordered them at the feed store like most people do, it means that the little boy chicks all got killed (probably ground up) so that they could sell little hens. Ethically speaking, those hens were hatched into a violent situation. I wouldn't want to be part of that violence.
This is definitely something to keep in mind...

Aside from the above I really see it as a slippery slope type decision. Sure eating "ethical" eggs doesn't seem like that bad of thing but what happens when those same ideas are used to justify consuming a different animal product.

Let's say your Uncles had a cow, and they treated it marvelously, lots of land to graze, come and go at will, adequate vet care, etc. One day the cow is going to die of natural causes... And your uncles decide to have it butchered. They then offer you some. What do you do? There isn't much of an ethical distinction between the eggs they offer and the steak they could be offering.

I feel that as people (Vegans) who are trying to inspire change in others and the system as a whole that we need to have a distinct line drawn and stick to it. Making exceptions and justifying things we would normally frown upon isn't going to do us any favours.

Ultimately it is your decision though...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts