VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are health reasons to give up both eggs and dairy. Eggs are full of cholesterol and dairy is full of both cholesterol and saturated fat.

A lot of people don't associate cruelty with producing eggs and dairy.

Any inspection of a dairy farm, chicken batteries, or a so-called "free range" farm will reveal that all or nearly all of the animals are females.

That raises the question, "What happens to the male babies?"

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by 1vegan

The shredder.

The male babies on dairy farms are either slaughtered immediately after birth, sent to live a brief life in veal crates or pens, or possibly thrown into a ditch and shot (according to a recent article I saw). Some of them may not even be shot but just left to starve. I can't say for sure since the dairy industry doesn't publicize what is done with them. One thing for certain, there aren't many males around on dairy farms.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by WyldFyre

They also slaughter baby cows for the rennet in their stomachs to make cheese.
Good point.

I was having coffee with someone a few weeks ago who thought that dairy cattle died of old age. It's amazing how few people really know the horrors of dairy farming.

Back to the question of male baby chicks-I assume that they are disposed of in a barbaric fashion and I cannot question 1vegan's reply that they are put into a shredder.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Male chicken can be / are killed by drowning, gassing, or the shredder.

I dont know whats the most common.

I suppose some farms dont have a problem with little bulls, because there are farms that specialize in the breeding of cow-embryos ..

Go to a public library and read some agricultural magazines; youll be surprised.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Male chicken can be / are killed by drowning, gassing, or the shredder.

I assume the reason the shredder is used is so they can be in turn fed to other chickens.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

I don't know, maybe it's just cheaper.

The most important motive to change anything in agriculture is "cheaper".
I saw a picture on the internet someplace of baby chicks in a dumpster.

I agree with you "cheaper" is the motive in agriculture. That's why it occurred to me the shredder is a method to produce food for the other chickens-it would be a cheap way of providing food for them.

Ground up body parts are used extensively as farm animal food already as I am sure you know.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many pet food companies put things like ground chicken feathers (otherwise known as "chicken meal") in dog and cat food.....also ground beaks and feet...etc. And not just from chickens. Also, sawdust and various other sources of fiber. EW.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by veganjames

I saw a picture on the internet someplace of baby chicks in a dumpster.

i saw that too some time ago and can't remember what site it was on.

but i've read it on various other sites since. it seems to be a common practice to throw live male chicks in the trash and just let them starve to death. likewise with hens that can no longer produce eggs or the ones that get trampled and sick from the battery cages, dead or alive they all get tossed aside into a big pile

www.eggcruelty.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh my. I went through that whole site that LF linked. I has looked at pics before, it's just been awhile. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes and that little voice inside my head asks "is there realy a God"????

·
Registered
371 Posts
almost all of the dairy industry is artifical insemination, so very few bull calves are ever kept to breed. most become veal.

laying strain male chicks are killed immediately upon sexing- by gassing or by "shredding"- kind of like in a big blender.

the remains of the male chicks are used on fur farms- generally feed to mink.

"spent" laying hens are slaughtered and then usually go to soup companies for chicken soup.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by veganjames

A lot of people don't associate cruelty with producing eggs and dairy.

Any inspection of a dairy farm, chicken batteries, or a so-called "free range" farm will reveal that all or nearly all of the animals are females.

That raises the question, "What happens to the male babies?"
I guess most male Cows become veal (the majority of fast-food beef is from ex-milking female Cows).

As for male Chickens, I've seen plenty of the "One Day Old Chicks" trucks around here to deduce exactly what happens (I wonder if anyone else ever puts 2 and 2 together and doesn't get 5).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By this time it should be obvious to anyone who has read this far that by purchasing eggs or dairy, which are both health hazards, one is supporting financially unimaginable suffering.

Many if not most people who purchase these think they are purchasing an innocuous product.

People who become lacto- and/or ovo vegetarians often do not associate what they are doing with suffering and death.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i was debating this stuff with an omni friend online the other night and showed him the egg cruelty site. he looked through it and then STILL said. "but eating eggs doesn't harm chickens, the eggs aren't fertilized" *slaps forehead*

1 - 20 of 44 Posts