VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I bought an eggplant yesterday thinking I'd try something with it. Problem is, I have no idea what to do with it. Any suggestions would be great!! Something easy and simple and that does not involve turning on the oven

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
You bought eggplant and you're a vegan!? All lies!!!

Just kidding.

One of my favorite dishes at work is Angel hair pasta. It has pine nuts, diced roma tomatoes, and cubed eggplant. The eggplant is fried in a little olive oil/margarine, as are the tomatoes (although the eggplant definitely cooks longer). I like to add some spicy tomato sauce to it as well. I don't have an exact recipe, but it can't be too hard.
Every other recipe I know involves the oven.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I make eggplant curry.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
curry, eggplant "parm," ratatouille, pasta sauce, pizza topping, grilled on a sandwich/wrap/salad

·
Registered
612 Posts
I slice it up - dip into olive oil and coat with vegan bread crumbs, garlic and onion powder, and Italian seasonings. Then saute until golden brown - or you can bake if you like. Top with vegan mozzarella and serve with pasta marinara.

Mmm.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Another idea would be to go to an Indian or quality Chinese restaurant and order something with eggplant. This will give you an idea of what can be done with this delicious delicious food.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LacyLou View Post

Eggplant: what to do with you?
Compost it.

I'm sure there are some good recipes, and I've had it before and it was good, but only if other people make it. I haven't been successful in making anything taste good with it.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

I'm sure there are some good recipes, and I've had it before and it was good, but only if other people make it. I haven't been successful in making anything taste good with it.
That is exactly the same problem I have with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All great suggestions, thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

You bought eggplant and you're a vegan!? All lies!!!

Just kidding.

One of my favorite dishes at work is Angel hair pasta. It has pine nuts, diced roma tomatoes, and cubed eggplant. The eggplant is fried in a little olive oil/margarine, as are the tomatoes (although the eggplant definitely cooks longer). I like to add some spicy tomato sauce to it as well. I don't have an exact recipe, but it can't be too hard.
Every other recipe I know involves the oven.
at the eggplant joke.
I like this suggestion, especially since I know I have angel hair pasta in the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post

I slice it up - dip into olive oil and coat with vegan bread crumbs, garlic and onion powder, and Italian seasonings. Then saute until golden brown - or you can bake if you like. Top with vegan mozzarella and serve with pasta marinara.

Mmm.
I like this one too.

Thanks, I really appreciate the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I cubed it and put it in my paella the other day. Was nice, it absorbs the smoky paprika flavours and absorbs oil and ends up with a really soft texture.

I put it in so many things, soup, lasagna I made twice, I made moussaka once too. Goes well in mediterranean stews or Indian curries, it can be fried, you can grill it in the oven.

You can also make a dip out of it, or babaganoush.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Yes but do you salt it? I do now. I like it a lot better.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Well, I just started doing it and been loving the way it comes out.

I cook eggplant like twice a month. I need new recipes to do with it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
wow so much hate for eggplant. I like to make curries w/ it. It's also great for sandwiches, get a good sourdough bread or something and then prepare the eggplant on a baking sheet by brushing the top w/ olive oil and lightly salting it, and add some roasted tomatoes, basil, +/- other veggies/spices.

great in lasagna too, either in place of noodles or w/ them, prepare similar to above.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
DON'T FORGET TO PIERCE EGGPLANT BEFORE BAKING. IT WILL EXPLODE!

I didn't know eggplant for anything but fried before I went veg. Now I love ratatoullie, eggplant sauce over pasta, garlic eggplant with tofu.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
if you are lazy
peel it and cut it into thin slices, do the same with a red onion.
put it and the onion in a pan with margarine (is margarine vegan?) and saute it with garlic powder. when its soft, eat it.

seriously, is Margarine vegan or is there something about it I am unaware of?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts