VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a good sized eggplant for near nothing and I've yet to do anything with it.

In your opinion what is a good recipe for stuff relating to Eggplant?

Thanks,

Second_Chance

(Nellie)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Oh, we love eggplant in our house
my 5 year old and toddler can't get enough of it prepared like this:

Asian style stir-fried Eggplant

Cut Eggplant into 1 to 1 1/2 inch strips, i like to make sure there is skin on each strip ..the skin adds more flavor.

In a large wok or large frying pan start by adding about 1/4 cup of oil, i prefer peanut oil for this dish but any vegetable oil will do.

Let oil become hot then add the eggplant and FRESH peeled minced ginger; stir around and keep adding *more and more* oil until the purple skin of the eggplant has turned brown and very soft.

Eggplant absorbes oil very quickly so it is very important to keep adding a lot of oil, otherwise the eggplant will stick to the pan.

This is a very fattening dish due to all the oil.

Right before the eggplant is done add a bunch of fresh garlic, garlic cooks very quickly.

If you really want to make it Asian, you can make a veggie "oyster sauce"

dark soy sauce ---(light soy wont work).

sugar

rice wine vinegar

and corn starch

cook and mix together seperatly and pour it on top of the eggplant.

We eat this dish with steamed rice

·
Registered
0 Posts
i can reccomend the asian style fried eggplant dish. in fact i think i have the same one!

i have a very good recipe which is a bit elaborate in ingredients, but uses eggplant to good effect. you can find it here http://www.vegweb.com/food/casseroles/3118.shtml on vegweb. it was very good when i made it. don't worry if you don't want to dig a whole in your backyard and burry a dutch oven, a big pot on the stovetop worked fine for me

i have heard there is a way to prepare eggplant into a very good sandwich spread. haven't looked into that one, but it sounds good.

good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i saw a show last week that made me want to get my paws on an eggplant and veganize this idea somehow. it seemed pretty simple, he called them eggplant sandwiches but the only bread involved were crumbs. he took two slices of eggplant, put a slice of some kinda meat i figured a yves deli slice(probably halved) would work as, a slice of some cheese, dipped it all in egg(i'm not sure what works with eggplant there, it soaks up oil too much, so maybe some soymilk mixed with flour/nut yeast would do it) coated with the breadcrumbs, and baked on an olive oiled baking sheet.

here's a recipe for "poor man's cavier" spread, though that name sorta turns me off...

·
Registered
0 Posts
yum, that looks good triumvir. i've allways been curious if leaving the skin on, or off is better? this made me remember about a recipie i made a bit back in an attempt to use up some older frozen eggplant. i had tried peeling it defrosted out of the freezer pretty futilely, but i persisted. the recipie itself was delicious, the substitution worked out very well. really creamy and rich tasting, because of the tahini. the eggplant made the dish almost seem meat like, much like using mushrooms, if any know what i'm talking about.

here is the recipe. another one from vegweb
and one of the first recipes that lives solely on my apple newton, i like it better that way.

i had been printing them or transcribing them out before. although it is nice having a collection of physical recipies, with the stains and wear to boot! it was getting large and messy.

http://www.vegweb.com/food/rice/4328.shtml

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ok Here's mine:

Lasagna--

Preheat your oven to 350F and 'grease' your baking dish.

Take your eggplant and slice it up into small pieces, about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Throw them in a plastic bag. Add about a cup of flour, some salt and pepper to taste. Shake the bag up until the eggplant pieces are coated (you could do this with breadcrumbs if you prefer).

In the meantime, boil some water for your lasagna noodles. Cook them up according to the directions.

Heat up some olive oil in your skillet. Lightly fry the slices of eggplant on both sides. It should turn slightly golden & soft. A few minutes on both sides is good.

Place the eggplant slices in your blender/food processor[1]. (Do not blot out the oil-you'll want it for moisture). Add about 1/2 cup of silken tofu. A pinch of salt. And some soy parmesan. Some basil. Some oregano--whatever you prefer.

Puree the mixture (if its a bit dry, add a wee bit of water or plain soy milk).

Drain your lasagna noodles.

Spread a little tomato sauce on the bottom of your dish. Layer some noodles on top. Spread the eggplant mixture over the noodles. Feel free to add some spinach or mushroom on top, or just leave the mixture alone if you want. Spread some more sauce over the top of that, then add some more noodles. Repeat as necessary. Finish with a layer of sauce and sprinkling of soy parmesan.

Cook in oven for about 20 minutes or so.

Serve warm or cold. Delicious.

1. If you don't have a blender/foodprocessor, you can just layer the eggplant slices and cube some firmer tofu up and add that, along with the seasonings, if you want. Tastes good that way too.

You can also just forget about the lasagna, and just munch on the fried slices

·
Registered
0 Posts
Baba Ganoush -(sp?)

Bake whole eggplant with skin in oven until *very* soft about an hour

Take out of oven, scoop out inside of eggplant.

Mix with tahini, minced garlic, and salt to taste

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sliced, Breaded and deep fat fried is really good too! Eat with steamed rice, on pasta with a red sauce, or on a bun.

I don't understand why people are 'afraid' of eggplant

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I can be a little frightening for those who have a fear of anything that is purple and bulbous. That being said, my two favorite ways to be prepared are in ratatouille (a kind of sauce/stew with tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, onion, basil, garlic, etc. that's good on pasta/rice/couscous) and baba ganoush, which was mentioned above. I also like to be eaten in a stirfry with garlicky sauce. Come, everyone enjoy my spongy flesh!

eggplant

·
Registered
0 Posts
the vb code maker option isn't working on my computer so just imagine a bunch of dancing eggplants in this post....someone help me out here! that is what that little icon is...right?

haha!

funny mr. eggplant!

that sounds like my kind of recipe Beansprout. thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I love fried/breaded eggplant but I have the most terrible time making it at home. I can't get the breading to stay on while it is frying. Any tips?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Eggplant patties

7-1/2 - 8 cups eggplant, cubed 1/2" (leave on skin)

Whole wheat bread crumbs (start with 1 cup) can use cracker crumbs etc.

2/3 cup ground walnuts

3/4 cup quick oats

1/4 cup very finely chopped celery

1/4 cup very finely chopped onion

2 tsp. parsley flakes

1 tsp very fresh dried sage, more if not

2 Tbsp. Braggs or soy sauce

1/2 tsp. onion & garlic powder

few shakes black pepper

With 3/4 cup water, bring eggplant to boil, lower heat, simmer 5 minutes. Drain & mash eggplant. Mix in remaining ingredients. Let stand 5 minutes. If Mixture is too soft or wet, add more bread crumbs or oats as desired. Of course, shape into patties. Fry in lightly oiled non stick pan for 5 minutes on each side. For best results, make patties as thin as possible or I find they are too soft in the middle. Another hint, I have a very small food processor and almost puree the onion, celery and sometimes fresh garlic in place of garlic powder. These keep quite a while in the ice box and freeze well too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I thin slice my eggplants and bake it in spagetti sauce, laying in chesse, like a lasagna..yet I add no pasta...it is always well eaten. I sometimes add bread crumbs as a layer too..a quick and easy meal..bakes at 400 about 40 minutes..serve with bread and salad

·
Registered
0 Posts
1 cup rice

1 medium eggplant

1/4 cup Oil

1 tomato, diced

1 green pepper,diced

1 small onion, minced

1 garlic clove, minced

salt & pepper to taste

1/4 teaspoon basil

2 Tablespoons vegan margarine

Preheat oven to 350F.

Cook rice according to package directions. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise, and scoop out the center from each half, leaving a 1/2" shell. Dice the eggplant meat.

Place eggplant shells cut side down in a large skillet with about 1/2" boiling, salted water. Cover and steam 3 minutes. Drain and reserve.

Heat oil and cook diced eggplant, tomatoes, green pepper, onion and garlic until tender. Add cooked rice and seasonings, and stir to combine. Stuff mixture into the eggplant shells and dot with margarine.

Bake about 35 minutes or until eggplant shells are tender. Makes two main dish servings.

I like adding walnuts and mushrooms to this dish

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.