VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, my husband and I were grocery shopping. We almost bought a box of Hodgston Mills whole wheat pancake mix but as we were checking out, I noitced it calls for eggs. (As opposed to the regular white flour stuff we have that just asks for water.) So we didn't get it. Later, as we were walking to our car, I wished we had, as I realized we could use bananas (banana pancakes), applesauce (apple pancakes, especially with chopped up apples), or even canned pumpkin. I don't remember now what I was reading on-line just before we went shopping (not intentionally, just something I stumbled on) about egg subs. We like the pumpkin pancakes at IHOP and wanted to try making them at home anyway. Now that I'm pregnant, I really don't want their white pancakes (with butter and maple flavored corn syrup). At home with the pancake mix (which was only $2.09, cheaper than Bisquick, even) and our real maple syrup and SmartBalance we can eat for cheaper and better.<br><br><br><br>
So, I was wondering what one can use for the egg in the mix? All of the above that I mentioned? Something else (not necessarily En-R-G as my husband might oppose something that "healthy")?<br><br><br><br>
Thank you for your suggestions and for reading my ramblings.<br><br><br><br>
Peace and blessings,<br><br>
Laura

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Laura, it sounds like you're on the right track.<br><br><br><br>
It all depends on the pancake mix, so sometimes you have to experiment, but probably banana, applesauce or pumpkin would work - maybe with a little soymilk to thin the batter.<br><br><br><br>
A little silken tofu, whizzed in the food processor, works very well too - but that might be too freakish and healthy for hubby...<br><br><br><br>
I'd say mix up a 1/2 recipe if you can, or even less so you don't waste it, and experiment away!<br><br><br><br>
There's several SUPER easy recipes for pancakes here on VB <a href="http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=42758" target="_blank">(here's a link)</a> however, and I've found they go together as quickly as a mix would and are even cheaper than buying a mix!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My personal favorite for pancakes or waffles is ground flax seed. It adds a real nice earthy flavor and has great nutritional benefits!<br><br><br><br>
1 egg = 1 Tbsp ground flax seed + 3 Tbsp hot water<br><br>
Mix well and let stand for a few minutes then throw into recipe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The flax seed method works perfectly. Just last weekend I was in the middle of making banana pancakes when I realized i didn't have any bananas..... ouch.... so I used flax meal and they were amazing.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I buy a pancake mix that calls for just water & oil but I usually add rice or oat milk & maybe nuts, chocolate chips, etc. Good stuff, too bad I can't rememeber the name.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! Tofu is a bit much for my husband. He's been eating more like me since we moved here in August, but there are some things he still won't touch. Also, I think he's doing more just because of the baby.<br><br><br><br>
Tofu-n-Sprouts, thanks for the link. Come to think of it, I've seen recipes like that before. Andy found the mix last night at the grocery store and I agreed to it, not thinking about even more homemade stuff. Eh.<br><br><br><br>
Thanks again,<br><br>
Laura

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I've used applesauce before. If you use baby applesauce or some very smooth variety, then it doesn't affect the taste at all.<br><br><br><br>
Usually now, though, I just use whole wheat flour, baking powder, sugar, soymilk, and maybe a smidge of salt. They turn out pretty yummy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts