VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My normal recipe for vegan cake results in them lasting for very little time, does the egg replacement powder give them longer life, and if so how long?

I'm making a dinosaur shaped cake for my girlfriend and the cake tin if huge, so I'd rather if the cake lasted longer than my usual attempts.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I guess I don't understand what you mean by "last"?

The cake spoils quickly? Or is eaten quickly? Or loses its shape? Or doesn't rise?

Around here, cakes don't last because three hungry munchkins devour them...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Egg replacer is just a combination of various starches and shouldn't cause a cake to last longer. I use this recipe for vegan chocolate cake and I've never had it dry out on me or spoil. I've used it in both cupcake tins and a regular cake pan so I don't think you should have trouble with it rising. To prevent a cake from drying out, make sure you store it covered. If I have a big cake, I'll keep it in the fridge.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I'll try and answer some of these questions (I am the previously mentioned girlfriend).

Normally Fi uses baking powder in place of the egg replacer and the cakes tend to 'harden' before they are all eaten.

It would still be nice to work out this egg replacer thing but Fona finished the cake yesterday with baking powder so it's not urgent (the first attempt with egg replacer went...not so well
) and pictures of Manwell (the cake) should follow

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I've used flax eggs (1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water -- let sit, then use) in baked goods to replace eggs and it doesn't seem to affect the shelf life at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts