VeggieBoards banner

What is your education level?

• Dropped Out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Still in High School (A Noble Profession)

• Some College

• Associate's degree

• Bachelor's degree

• Master's degree

• Engineer's degree

• Doctoral degree

• College of Hard Knocks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What level of education have you attained. and any stories you would like to share about your journey, and, or advice. I myself having been recently chastised by one of my daughters, for falling 2 classes short of an AA degree, am interested. But I do have a degree in hard knocks, but I voted some college.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I'm in the middle of my freshman year of college. I'm not sure if I'm going to grad school at the moment. It will depend on whether I can I afford it, I suppose. Right now I'm aiming for a bachelor's degree in creative writing, but I think I'm going to add a second major of professional writing next year.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I put Bachelors but I am actually working on my Masters in IS. I also have a Cosmetology degree and a Certification in Mainframe Programming.

Advice? Don't take 8 years to finish your Bachelors like I did.

Sorry not helpful. he he!

Anyhow, what I would say is that most degrees exist because they are now basic requirements for certain jobs but, in the real world, you still learn almost everything you need to know on the job.

Except for my Mainframe Certification - that definatley was worth the money. I got the basic skills I need to get and do the job and then learn all the business specific knowledge on the job.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I dropped out of HS when I was 15... they made an exception for me because, according to them, I was "deeply disturbed". (around here anyway, you really can't drop out until you're 16.. so they expelled me until I could officially drop out) I've went for my GED twice... the first time I just bailed, the 2nd my job conflicted w/the hours of going to the classes, and at the time a job was more important. I'm just starting to get my life together, and my GED is on my priority list, then once I figure some things out I might take some college classes. Pretty sad considering I'm (basically) 23. My advice is to focus on education and don't sell yourself short. Since I was about 7, my teachers wanted me to get tested for being gifted, but I didn't want to go to different classes than my friends. I was in some diff classes in Jr. High, but I didn't apply myself... if I could do it over I would... I could've ended up graduating early and had a great career... now I'm 23, living w/my dad and at the moment jobless-yeah, not fun. I'll be lucky if I can find a job that pays more than $6 an hour and be able to move out w/in the next few months.. most likely to a small crappy apartment living paycheck to paycheck...

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I've passed a 5-year correspondence course on waterskiing, that's pretty much it. My degree is "Cool guy, whee".

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I put down Masters Degree since I'll have one in 3 months (I graduate 3 mos from today! YAY!). I'm also working on my doctorate... which I hope to have in about 4 yrs.

No one thought I'd graduate high school I hated it so much. Higher education is mostly a lesson in persistance, or so everyone tells me. Keep at it!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
What about high school graduate?

I finished high school about 9 years ago, and I am entering college in the fall.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you're thinking about majoring in music, think harder. It is lots and lost and lost of work, and the money you earn after your complete your undergrad doesn't compare to the amount of work you put in. I would have done something different if I could go back.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I have a BA in Sociocultural Anthropology and I am currently working on a graduate certificate in Project Management. I hope to go for my MBA in a few years.

I think a post secondary education is a wonderful thing for many people, but it's definitely not for everyone. Technical school and trades are wonderful alternatives for people who want training more relevant to a job or career.

The most useful things I learned during my BA were the 'soft' skills like information dissemination, time management, research etc.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I gradumatated high school. Still thinking over what I want to do about college.

I might hit up the Community College and try part-time online courses. Debt makes me all jittery.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I chose Bachelor's degree, even tho I didn't actually finish College. But I was there for 5 years, and that seemed much closer than "some college".

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Masters degree and i'll matriculate into a phd thingy majigy this summer.

Joe, I don't think it's right that your daughter gave you flack over education. Kids should never do that to their parents.

eta: oh and i never graduated from high school
got a ged.I couldn't stand high school. my brother used to give me a hard time about that.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
In three months I'll have a BA in Digital Technology and Culture. I started college back in 1994 and decided to "take a year off" after my sophomore year. That year turned into seven and I'm finally finishing up. I was planning to head straight into graduate school, but I'm feeling pretty burnt out on school.

It's never too late to go back to school, however, it's not worth the money unless you feel you'll gain something from having a degree.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Masters Degree (MBA)

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I'm still in high school (or I would be, if I was in the US. I'm at college doing my A-levels here in the UK.)

But I am applying to do a Bachelors in Computer Science. After that I might choose to do a masters but I haven't decided yet. I would love to study past that point but I probably won't just due to money and time and that kind of thing. And of course it depends on my grades this year and at Uni.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts