VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a Windows PC and mostly use Firefox as my web browser.

When I access my GMail account and it asks me to sign in with my User ID, I begin to type in my username and three choices pop up. One of these unfortunately contains a typographical error, so is useless clutter.

I assume this data is stored in a cookie somewhere.

How do I get into this cookie so I can edit out the entry with the typo?

I seem to have found where I can delete the cookie as a whole, but that's not what I'm looking to do at this point.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Erasing cookies at the closing of your firefox improves security.

I wouldn't bother locating an individual cookie if you have thousands of them ( they accumulate quickly ), you can choose to delete your cookies after one month ( despite a popular thought some of them stay even one year ), so if you don't use one of those emails it should disapear after one month, while the other stays cuz you still use it.

But again, keeping your cookies is like keeping candies, and there are always people who like candies ^^

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Erasing cookies at the closing of your firefox improves security.

I wouldn't bother locating an individual cookie if you have thousands of them ( they accumulate quickly ), you can choose to delete your cookies after one month ( despite a popular thought some of them stay even one year ), so if you don't use one of those emails it should disapear after one month, while the other stays cuz you still use it.

But again, keeping your cookies is like keeping candies, and there are always people who like candies ^^
Where are the controls located that let you do these things with cookies?

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
This might look different depending on which Firefox version you're using, but this works for me:

Go Edit --> Preferences, then click on the "Privacy" tab. In there click a button called "Show Cookies ...". In the search field, type "accounts.google.com". I'm not sure how to cherry-pick the bad cookies, but you can just delete all these cookies returned by the search. (You'll then have to re-enter your username/password next time you log in to the webmail account.)

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for trying to help me. I'm grateful. The comments below are just nitpicking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

This might look different depending on which Firefox version you're using, but this works for me:
I'm using v. 10.0.2 for Windows.

I shut off the automatic update feature just a few days ago, I think. It was updating me automatically. Which might sound good, until I started looking for apps to help me do things (like examine the cache or whatever), and the apps would be unavailable for/incompatible with/ the latest version of Firefox.

Quote:

Go Edit --> Preferences, then click on the "Privacy" tab. In there click a button called "Show Cookies ...". In the search field, type "accounts.google.com". I'm not sure how to cherry-pick the bad cookies, but you can just delete all these cookies returned by the search. (You'll then have to re-enter your username/password next time you log in to the webmail account.)
Um, this does not work for me, since there is no "Preferences" listed under "Edit" in my version.

There is, however, a "Tools" that then lists "Options" that then lists "Privacy." This then offers links to (1) clear recent history or (2) remove individual cookies.

I did something stupid, however. At the bottom of (2) are two buttons, one to remove the individual listed cookies you check off from a list, and the other to remove all cookies. I hit the "remove all cookies" button by mistake.

Before I did that, though, I was looking at individual cookies. They have a facility to show "contents," but that just shows a bunch of letters and numbers in some sort of code, so it is meaningless and useless to me. Like, for example,

C8ctADc2LjIyLjIxOC4xMjEtMzAxMjE0OTc5Mi4zMDIxMDA0O ... [snip,snip]

The problem of the thread is still relevant to me, because although I am writing on my laptop (now cleared of cookies), I still have my desktop, which has all my old cookies.

P.S. 6 cookies have "re-propagated" while I was typing this message.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
That string of seemingly random characters is probably the encrypted version of your password. You might not want to share that on the Internet!

So is there no way to search for cookies by domain name? I think the cookie names for username and password respectively are GAUSR and GAPWD. (Less certain about the latter one...)

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

That string of seemingly random characters is probably the encrypted version of your password. You might not want to share that on the Internet!
Well, that content was from a site or whatever that I never heard of, so I don't think I have a password with them.
Plus, I snipped it at less than half. But I'll delete the material upon your advice.

Quote:

So is there no way to search for cookies by domain name?
I did not say that. I believe there is a Search function, but what you find is like a file folder/directory with the domain name or a version thereof, and inside may be several or a dozen individual cookies. But the content is almost always just jibberish.
They also have expiration dates that I don't seem to be able to alter or control.

Quote:

I think the cookie names for username and password respectively are GAUSR and GAPWD. (Less certain about the latter one...)
Thanks.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Well, that content was from a site or whatever that I never heard of, so I don't think I have a password with them.
Plus, I snipped it at less than half. But I'll delete the material upon your advice.
Ah, in that case I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote:
I did not say that. I believe there is a Search function, but what you find is like a file folder/directory with the domain name or a version thereof, and inside may be several or a dozen individual cookies. But the content is almost always just jibberish.
They also have expiration dates that I don't seem to be able to alter or control.
I think that sounds about right. When I did the search the first time, I found just two cookies. But I hadn't used Firefox in a while, so I after I used it to log in to my google mail, it found several more cookies, maybe 6 - 8 in all. Just delete all those cookies. They will be regenerated once you log in again. As for jibberish, yes, I agree it looks quite incomprehensible, although for me one of the cookies contained my account name, i.e. my email address.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did deleting cookies fix the problem on your laptop? If not, then perhaps what you need to remove is actually not a google cookie, but rather a firefox saved password. In the options dialog, under the security tab, there should be a button to show/delete saved passwords.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzu View Post

Did deleting cookies fix the problem on your laptop?
Ironically, no.

Quote:

If not, then perhaps what you need to remove is actually not a google cookie,
Quite possibly.

Quote:

but rather a firefox saved password. In the options dialog, under the security tab, there should be a button to show/delete saved passwords.
Yes, and thank you for reminding me of this feature. But there were only 4 saved passwords, and none of them related to Google or Gmail.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hmmmm... This happened to me as well. I deleted my old gmail account and got a new one, but firefox still insists to remember my old username and password automatically. Deleting cookies never got rid of it. However it hasn't been a problem
because I normally use Thunderbird.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Thunderbird/icedove, clawsmail and this kind of software is the best to manage multiple mail accounts, and it gives you more options, not speaking about the enigmail plugin wich allows you to sign and encrypt the mail.
Love it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts