VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
I'm sure there's some recipes out there, but I usually just steam them and eat as a snack.

You could probably put some in stir-frys and the like.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
I think they taste good just by themselves. My wife likes them more than I do, we've gone through a whole bag before, just munching on them. But we'll put them in containers and take them with us sometimes, or just eat as a snack at work or at home.

We don't put anything on them, and we've gotten the kind in the store already void of the pod. Mostly we buy them at the farmer's market here in the summer (they're still in the pod).

We just steam them till they're just soft enough to eat, but slightly firm. Or if they're in the pod, just till they come out easily from the pod.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have the frozen ones , are they pre cooked or do i need to cook them , could i just heat them in the mic?

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
boil them in water for 5 minutes, drain them, and sprinkle them in salt & pepper, then eat. Don't eat the pod, just the beans inside.

Hold a tip of the pod with one hand and put the pod in your mouth. Then with your teeth, squeeze the beans out of the pod.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Yeah, like OregonAmy said. I'm sure there's lots of toppings too as she said with the salt and pepper. I prefer them without anything, but that's me. Or in salads or stir-frys, etc.

I steam all my veggies though, I dislike boiling them, since it takes away nutrients. Unless there's a reason no one has told me that boiling is better for some things (say to remove some toxic thing).

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

I dislike boiling them, since it takes away nutrients.
Steaming is probably better, but in this instance, I rather doubt the minute or two that the edamame are boiled will make a significant difference nutrition-wise.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Mmmm I just had some with my dinner. Just boiled them and added a little salt.

They're also good with a little garlic powder

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Steaming is probably better, but in this instance, I rather doubt the minute or two that the edamame are boiled will make a significant difference nutrition-wise.
I would have to agree. From frozen, they're pretty much "flash-boiled".

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

boil them in water for 5 minutes, drain them, and sprinkle them in salt & pepper, then eat. Don't eat the pod, just the beans inside.

Hold a tip of the pod with one hand and put the pod in your mouth. Then with your teeth, squeeze the beans out of the pod.
I create an opening on the seam of the pod and push the beans out with my fingers.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

I like them cooked in a stir fry. I think they are best served chilled, with a dash of soy sauce.
I had Japanese roommates in college and this is they way I was introduced to edamame. Mmmmmm! I also like them on salads or served with a mix of ginger, garlic and soy sauce.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.