VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://weirdnews.aol.com/2011/05/05/...?ref=fb&src=sp

Quote:
"It's much more honest to do it in the open where you and the bull face the ultimate consequences," Rivas told the Miami Herald. "Not killing the bull is like an artist not signing his work."
Wow, you wear your douchebaggery right on your sleeve dontcha?

I'm sick of people defending bullfighting because it's "traditional."

At one point watching people be fed alive to lions was also a traditional form of entertainment, I wonder why we didn't feel the need to preserve that cultural tidbit?

·
Banned
136 Posts
Quote:
I'm curious-how much time have you spent in the highlands of Ecuador?

Because it is a very traditional part of the country and those trying to end bullfighting are facing an uphill battle with some very nasty politics involved.

It's all fine and good to pound one's chest keyboard but actually opening up your mouth about Ecuadoran politics while in the country will get you thrown out PDQ.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
"It's much more honest to do it in the open where you and the bull face the ultimate consequences," Rivas told the Miami Herald. "Not killing the bull is like an artist not signing his work."
As an artist, I take offense to this statement. What garbage.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Barilko View Post

I'm curious-how much time have you spent in the highlands of Ecuador?

Because it is a very traditional part of the country and those trying to end bullfighting are facing an uphill battle with some very nasty politics involved.

It's all fine and good to pound one's chest keyboard but actually opening up your mouth about Ecuadoran politics while in the country will get you thrown out PDQ.
I know it's traditional, that was my point. The fact that bullfighting has been done for a long time does not give it any more validity than throwing people to the lions for entertainment.

I've never been to Ecuador but since there's a proposed ban it sounds like someone was able to object without being thrown out of the country. In fact many people

·
Banned
841 Posts
There's many things which are "traditional" including the subjugation of women. It certainly doesn't make it right. And fortunately bullfighting is on it's way out, for example, broadcasting bullfights on television in Spain was banned last January!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Aaand another thread where Bill Barilko seems to post only to stir sh*t up.

What exactly are you trying to say? That we can't agree with the proposed ban? That tradition in Ecuador is too strong to go up against?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

Aaand another thread where Bill Barilko seems to post only to stir sh*t up.

What exactly are you trying to say? That we can't agree with the proposed ban? That tradition in Ecuador is too strong to go up against?
Oh is that his MO? It all makes sense now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, there has been an historical aesthetic to bullfighting amongst the carcass-eaters (cf. Hemingway's Death in the Afternoon), so this is one more cultural struggle in the Veg cause, albeit more of one outside the US...best of luck to those working on this in Ecuador...

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Oh is that his MO? It all makes sense now.
If you explained to me what MO means, I think I'd be likely to agree with you

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:

If you explained to me what MO means, I think I'd be likely to agree with you
Short for modus operendi, which is Latin for "mode of operation".

·
Banned
136 Posts
Quote:

The anti bullfight movement is being used by Correa (the Ecuadoran President) to garner support-and it partially worked since he won the referendum.

Correa's political position has been weakened lately and not just by revelations he solicited money from Colombian narco traffickers for his election campaign in 2006.

He faces further challenges that I won't go into here but I will say this-Ecuadoran Presidents have notoriously short shelf lives and the whole anti bullfight angle is as cynical a ploy as I've ever seen.

Who knows a law might be passed banning bullfights-but there's the law and there's the application of the law.

Telling politically connected people-like long established Ecuadoran highlander families- what they can/can't do on their own land is politically very risky and quite unlikely given the political climate in Ecuador now.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:

Telling politically connected people-like long established Ecuadoran highlander families- what they can/can't do on their own land is politically very risky and quite unlikely given the political climate in Ecuador now.
And the conclusion is not to do anything at all. Great.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Quote:

And the conclusion is not to do anything at all. Great.
Note-that's your conclusion not mine.

I posted to make people aware that while the Ecuadoran anti bullfight movement is no doubt sincere they are being used in the most cynical and callous manner by politicians who couldn't care less.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

http://weirdnews.aol.com/2011/05/05/...?ref=fb&src=sp

Wow, you wear your douchebaggery right on your sleeve dontcha?

At one point watching people be fed alive to lions was also a traditional form of entertainment, I wonder why we didn't feel the need to preserve that cultural tidbit?
Amen to that!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:

Note-that's your conclusion not mine.

I posted to make people aware that while the Ecuadoran anti bullfight movement is no doubt sincere they are being used in the most cynical and callous manner by politicians who couldn't care less.
I was reacting to the fact that you attacked a person for saying they support the anti-bullfight movement and think it's necessary to break up old traditions. Why did you do that if you share their views?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts