VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use Ecover brand household items? I have been using their cleaners and was considering trying the detergent for my clothes, but wasn't sure. If anyone has a good clothes detergent that they'd like to share with me, I'd be thankful. (oh, and I don't mind info. on other cleaning products that are earth friendly)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've used the Ecover laundry soap--it's good stuff. I've also used that Bio-Kleen stuff, but I'm mostly partial to Seventh Generation's Citrus scented laundry soap. I also use Ecover dish soap as well--it's fragrance free and gentle on the skin.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I like the Ecover. I use it all the time and it even has a nice herbal smell. Sometimes for my whites I'll add some baking soda for a booster.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I use Ecover dish soap and really like it. Haven't tried the laundry detergent, though. I use Seventh Generation Free & Clear (of perfumes and dyes), and I think it's great!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always used Ecover products, but have yet to make a switch for my clothes. I wasn't sure how well the detergents get your clothes clean. I used to use Melaleuca products, but in the end, they didn't get my clothes very clean. My husband is very picky about his laundry, so I went back to using Gaine. To be honest, I like the smell and the cleaning power of Gaine, but I don't think it's that earth friendly.

If all of you had to make a decision, which product would you pick for your laundry?

1)Ecover

2)Seventh Generation

3)Bio-Kleen

Thanks for the help.

FYI: I love the Ecover dishwasher tablets. They work great, and so does the reg. dish soap. I also like the other household products.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
If you like a certain smell to your laundry, try adding a few drops of essential oil to the water while it's filling. Lavender for sheets would be nice, maybe your husband would like a more "manly" smell like a juniper/sage type scent. My absolute favorite smell is lialac. Most of the natural detergents are unscented. To help with the cleaning power use baking powder or Borax as a booster ( safe for the enviroment).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by punkmommy

To help with the cleaning power use baking powder or Borax as a booster ( safe for the enviroment).
Punkmommy...you are too funny. I know it was a typo, but I had to laugh. If I put baking powder in my laundry, will that give me edible sheets?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I use ecover stain remover on my carpets. For clothes I use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. It is the only thing that smells good and does not give me hives!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Muffcake: Do your clothes come out really bright and clean with Dr. Bronner's? I have never considered using the stuff for my laundry, but that's a thought. My daughter has very sensitive skin, so perhaps I should consider using dr. bronner's.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I use the pepermint and the lavendar for laundry. Those leave my clothes smelling the freshest. I just did 3 loads today!

Another laundry soap for sensitive skin is the Trader joe's brand though it does not smell. I like the fresh scent DB produces.

Ecover is cruelty free.
No animal testing is used!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, like muffcake said, Ecover is cruelty free. It actually says on the bottle of my dish soap "no animal testing."

Say muffcake, how much of DB do you use per load? a cup, 1/2 cup, a capful???? I'd love to give the stuff a try, but need to know who much to use so I don't over suds my home.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I just realized i've been endorsing a product I don't use! I don't use Ecover, I use Ecos. I was doing my laundry today, and DUH! So everything I said earlier applies to Ecos.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It depends on the load and what I am washing. Yesterday I had to wash my beloved satin pillowcases my cat stained and just used a bitty squirt. Then wit work out gear I used a few squirts around the washer. Bigger loads use a heafty squirt while smaller loads and delicate stuff use a tiny bit. Just eye it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts