VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a cold cereal I really like that contains flaxseeds. I have issues when it comes to cold cereals. Most of the ones I buy end up as expensive squirrel food.
I don't find many I like.

I've been trying to eat more flaxseed for various reasons. But the seeds are whole, so am I not getting any good out of them? I just read you can't chew them well enough for them to do much good.

Any flax seed experts here?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
You'll get fiber from the but not much (any) omega 3. If you like the cearal though I would go for it if it's otherwise healthy. You can always add a spoonful of your own ground flax if you feel like you need to.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Yeah, the whole ones are just about impossible to chew up and most of'em will just pass right through.

you can get a good sized bag of them for pretty cheap. i use a really inexpensive coffee grinder to grind up what i want to use at that moment.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I did that as well. For like 6 or 7 months, I was chowing down on whole flax seeds, feeling all extra healthy and proud of myself. Hmmm....

Ultimate Chopper, baby!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It's hard to chew on flax seed if they are part of a cereal mixture. Better take them extra. Grinding is easier (gotta grind 'em like rabid_child has put it).

·
Registered
176 Posts
go with rabidchild grind them in a coffee grinder then sprinkle them on whatever you want, I put them in my smoothie. They are very important to eat everyday though, but just be sure to grind them. Buy the whole flaxseeds in the store and grind them yourself, the preground flaxmeal on store shelves are rancid unless refridgerated.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I like putting the ground stuff on my cereal...and, well...basically over anything. It has a nice taste to it. I'm glad I got the stuff that was already ground, though, since I had no idea it had to be ground to do anything up until yesterday XD

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been also using ground flax seed. The box just says to refrigerate it after opening. But as usual, I do good for a few days, then forget about the stuff, then throw it out.

Anyone know where to buy a coffee grinder and about what it might cost?

Maybe I'll look on line.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I got one at a local grocery store for $8. I use it for flaxseeds and occasionally spices, and it was used once for coffee when the neighbours who only live here in the summer gave us a bag from where they used to live. It works great!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just bought a cheap coffee grinder and it doesn't work that well. It'll grind, but not to powder, which you'll need to get the full benefit of the fiber and omega 3's.

I looked around on Amazon and found these ones to have great reviews:

Krupps

Braun

A cheap Toastmaster or Proctor Silex coffee grinder will not work nearly as well. A powerful flax grinder will grind them up faster causing less heat (which is harmful to the oil).

I consider it an investment because flax seeds are more healthy taken freshly grinded then bought as an oil. They are also cheaper to buy and there is less waste.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You can put them on almost everything, even salads. I like to mix it in when I make salad dressings after I freshly grind it up. I just store them in the fridge and use my Magic Bullet to whiz them up before I need them.

I too made the mistake of thinking I was so healthy for getting foods filled with flax seeds. Then I learned that it just passes through you, AND that in baked goods they're useless because heating flax destroys the oils. No worries though, I'm sure some of the flax gets ground up. I actually have fun sometimes attempting to get it through my teeth because they just slip and slide!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Coffee grinder is the way to go. A little tip, if you use your grinder for coffee beans, and don't want ground coffee in your ground flax then grind some rice in the grinder. It has an uncanny ability to fully clean the thing out.

I usually grind a lot at once and hold the button down for a long while until it is a really fine powder. Then I put the stuff I don't use right away in the freezer.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I use a blender to grind them, that works really well for me and I don't have to buy a coffee grinder (cause what I really need in more appliances).

As per the original question: It doesn't hurt you to eat them whole, and if the cereal is nice in other respects, I say go for it. I buy flax tempeh, and I know that they nutrition I get out of the flax is about nil, but it's the nicest flavor.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.