VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if i eat below 1500calories but mostly of eg chocolate (saturated fat), could i still lose fat or only muscles?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
There are a lot of conflicting studies, and it depends greatly what your actual BMR is, which you can't accurately know really, you can get close with various tests, but not 100% accurate. The online BMR calculators give a VERY rough idea.

People lose/hold/gain weight differently.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawx View Post

What if i eat below 1500calories but mostly of eg chocolate (saturated fat), could i still lose fat or only muscles?
Depends on many things like how much activity you do per day, how you metabolize....

why are you asking this?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason i ask this is because i used to have a choclate addiction especially to snickers bars but have been off of it for 4 weeks now but the craving just wont go away. So im thinking of eating nothing but snickers bars for 2 days and nothing else so i migh find it to get disgusted and the memory of that will remain.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Totally the wrong approach, buddy.
That's like saying, "I want to quit smoking, so I'm going to spend a day doing nothing but"
or "I'm trying to get sober, so I'm going to spend two days drinking nothing but beer."

You have to overcome the urges. If you do a two-day binge, you just admit defeat to yourself. Just find a food to replace Snickers. When you crave chocolate, eat a certain food instead. Reprogram your taste buds.

·
Registered
892 Posts
why not just eat vegan chocolate? There are lots of different kinds and because they are dark chocolate (usually) it gives you a good chocolate fix. Also vegan chocolate ice cream, toffuit fudge pops... There are endless choices, just google vegan chocolate

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, finding a healthy replacement is probably a better idea. A little vegan chocolate goes a long way, too, if it's dark. It's difficult to over consume dark chocolate. You could even get raw cacao which is straight up unsweetened chocolate. Get a little bag, eat a few nibs a day, see if you still want that Snickers.

As far as your original question - such a diet reminds me of Atkins but with even less nutritional purpose. Yes, people lose weight on Atkins but they become very unhealthy usually because of the lack of quality carbs and overload of fat and protein. A well-balanced vegan diet with some cacao nibs for dessert would probably help you lose weight and not go crazy.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawx View Post

The reason i ask this is because i used to have a choclate addiction especially to snickers bars but have been off of it for 4 weeks now but the craving just wont go away. So im thinking of eating nothing but snickers bars for 2 days and nothing else so i migh find it to get disgusted and the memory of that will remain.
Yea, that probably won't work. There have been times when I've eaten so much chocolate I felt like throwing up. (gross I know) That didn't keep me from doing the same thing later though. If that sort of strategy actually worked there would be a lot less addicts in the world.

Quote:
You have to overcome the urges. If you do a two-day binge, you just admit defeat to yourself. Just find a food to replace Snickers. When you crave chocolate, eat a certain food instead. Reprogram your taste buds.
I agree with this. Either eat something else or just replace the behavior with something else entirely. It doesn't really matter what it is. Just replace that negative behavior with something else. Changing deeply ingrained habits isn't easy, (In fact you can expect it to be quite difficult.) but it's doable if you make enough of an effort.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Smoothies are a regular breakfast and lunch for me. Here's a chocolate one for you that will give you actual nutrients and not just empty calories.

2 medium, sliced frozen bananas
1 cup non-dairy milk (I use soy or almond)
1 T. Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder OR 2 T. regular cocoa powder
1 t. agave nectar (optional)
1 T. ground flax seed (optional)

Whiz this all in your blender. I actually do it in a food processor because I don't have a blender right now. It tastes just like a chocolate milkshake.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Wow I never thought of chocolate in my smoothies, I might switch to chocolate almond milk instead of the original like I've been doing. Mrs. T like you smoothies are a daily meal for me but I put like 4 servings of fruit 2 servings of mock dairy and spinach in mine, i also heard of adding 3 tbsp of fiber1 cereal to make them healthier

·
Registered
892 Posts
I quickly scanned the ingredients for non-vegan stuff i didnt even notice the aspartame, thanks cause I dont eat that stuff either.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. T View Post

Smoothies are a regular breakfast and lunch for me. Here's a chocolate one for you that will give you actual nutrients and not just empty calories.

2 medium, sliced frozen bananas
1 cup non-dairy milk (I use soy or almond)
1 T. Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder OR 2 T. regular cocoa powder
1 t. agave nectar (optional)
1 T. ground flax seed (optional)

Whiz this all in your blender. I actually do it in a food processor because I don't have a blender right now. It tastes just like a chocolate milkshake.
I make something like this pretty regularly except I don't use that much liquid. Mine comes out more like ice cream, but I think I'll try it this way too.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
According to the interwebs (please verify if you want to be sure), a fun size Snickers bar only has 72 calories. That is not going to sabotage your weight loss attempts. Here's an idea - buy a bag of fun size Snickers, and ration them out so you can have one after lunch, and one after dinner (or alternatively plan out having 2 a day sometime when you crave them). Plan healthy and filling meals, and know that you can still have a treat.

Eating just Snickers bars for a day or two is a really bad idea. Suddenly eating a lot of fat at once is a good way to set yourself up for gall bladder problems that could require surgery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.