VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have advise on proper eating for muscle development?

I have the A-OK to walk again but have been informed that I dip my knee's inward when I walk and have quite a bit of muscle atrophy.

Now I have about 2 hours daily of resistance training to do but no idea on the right diet to enhance the workouts.

Granted I still tip over quite a bit but all is going pretty well, I just really need a better diet plan not only to help build muscle but to keep from being so wiped out daily after working out.

I'm up to working with a blue band

Now to get back to the point were I can run, jump and go back to the gym

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think balanceing is an issue, I eat beans as my main protien and I try and get some in daily but my protien levels are woefully low.

Fats are ok and carbs are way to high IMO.

I'm restricted from eating soy.

Todays food has been

Apple Empanada just one

1 bowl of chocolate puffs w/ almond milk

1 cup coffee

1 berry smoothie

Dinner is going to be vegan chili which is a mix of black beans, tomatos, celery,corn,potatos,green breans, onions garlic etc.

Pretty much whatever I have laying about

Pretty much gotta keep calories low, despite feeling like I got run over by ba truck after working with the bands my calorie burning is still rather low and I should be counted as leading a non active lifestyle right now

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrlin View Post

Todays food has been

Apple Empanada just one

1 bowl of chocolate puffs w/ almond milk

1 cup coffee

1 berry smoothie

Dinner is going to be vegan chili which is a mix of black beans, tomatos, celery,corn,potatos,green breans, onions garlic etc.

Pretty much whatever I have laying about

Pretty much gotta keep calories low, despite feeling like I got run over by ba truck after working with the bands my calorie burning is still rather low and I should be counted as leading a non active lifestyle right now
in all honesty, that looks like you are starving yourself. i honestly thought that was half a breakfast - not up to dinner. you wont lose weight or build muscle in the least with a menu like that. why do you have to keep your calories SO low? and you aren't eating any fat. unsaturated fats are essential.

like the other poster said, you're also missing amino acids.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i would think you need to eat more regularly, and more.

you could include a lot more nut, nut butters in your diet. not only do they contain 'good fats' but tonnes of protein which you need to build muscle

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I eat fats here and there I love olive oil

As far as grains go I do not eat them all that much but I do have some brown rice and some amaranth.

I guess what I need is a sample menu if anyone has any ideas.

My diet is pretty flexable I'm lacto /ovo but minimal of each.

Only things that I simply can not eat are soy and coconut everything else is more a matter of making myself eat it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You say that you do not eat grains. Is that because you don't like them?

Have you tried Millet or Quinoa? Quinoa, contains proteins, EFA and both are highly nutritious.

Healthy diet plans - would love to see one too!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I soemtimes use quinoa pasta but thats about it, otherwise I do not care for it really.

I like seiten but it is a pain in my rear end to make so I do not eat it often.

Yes I guess you could say thst past cereals or pastries I'm not much of a grain eater because I just do not care for them.

Now rice on the other hand I love.

·
Registered
441 Posts
a healthy diet plan is one that consists of a balance of fat/carbohydrates/protein per meal, as well as containing all of the essential vitamins/minerals/amino acids, and so forth.

consuming enough calories, too, is vital to maintain just normal function.

·
Registered
0 Posts
ayrlin:

you definitly need to eat more- and less processed foods.

Breakfast should be oatmeal, with raisins, dates and nuts, or granola cereal

berry smoothie is a great snack- try adding some rice, pea or hemp protein powder

Lunch: a big salad with olive oil, sunflower and pumpkin seeds (Iron!!) egg or seitan for protein, and tomato, olives, cucumbers, etc.

a good snack is PB and apple slices.

your Dinner sounds good!

remember, when you are injured, your body requires 500 additional calories to heal. please eat a bit more!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You need extra calories to heal?

I did not know that.

BTW Purrpelle I have something for you, I keep forgetting to mail it

Today so far as been another bowl of coco cereal, I'm cravng the stuff and almond milk.

Veggie and lentil soup, basicly just lentils,leeks,carrots a potato and veggie broth with thyme salt.

About 2 cups of it.

mm pumpkin seeds, I wish I had some but the only nut/seed I have right now are pecans :/

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeah, I when i had surgery my doctor was very concerned about the amount of food i ate during recovery- i had been dieting before and he was adamant that i eat about 3000 calories a day. i thought i would gain weight but i didn't.

and don't worry about the other thing. send it when you send it.
no worries.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrlin View Post

Anyone have advise on proper eating for muscle development?

I have the A-OK to walk again but have been informed that I dip my knee's inward when I walk and have quite a bit of muscle atrophy.

Now I have about 2 hours daily of resistance training to do but no idea on the right diet to enhance the workouts.

Granted I still tip over quite a bit but all is going pretty well, I just really need a better diet plan not only to help build muscle but to keep from being so wiped out daily after working out.

I'm up to working with a blue band

Now to get back to the point were I can run, jump and go back to the gym
there is a good nutrition websitre http://www.nutritiondata.com/index.html .

it analzes every common food in many ways, including amino acid content. since you are interested in muscle development, select a food, find out which amino acids it is low in, and add a complimentary food that is above average in that amino acid.

for muscles... if a food is deficient in just one critical amino acid, it does not matter how much of other protein building blocks (i.e. amino acids) it has.

it might take you a few minutes to figure out the site, but it will show a picture with protein analysis of the food, and an internal link to good complimentary food sources.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.