VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good ways to combat this? I exercise regularly and am in good shape, but I'm scared of this being wrecked. Basically, I am new in the Netherlands and unable to work until I get my residence permit, which should be around this January. In recent years, overeating has not been a problem for me as I've been super-busy with university and work. As of now, it is.

My boyfriend has to support me until I have my visa, so we do have to watch money, which has left us limited on things that I can do during the daytime, that and the weather hasn't been that great. This sounds awful, but basically, I'm ravenously hungry during the daytime while he's at work, and hardly hungry at all when he's home. Really can't wait to have the go-ahead to get a job right now!

Help????

Also, I've recently quit smoking, which I've noticed has also made my appetite go up!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I got nothin'...this is a problem for me, too. I actually do better when I am not at work...work stresses me out and even though I'm busy most of the time, I look to food for comfort. When I am home, I am happy, and I don't need to eat as much. I do think it's opposite for most people. Is there something along the lines of volunteer work that you can do to keep you pre-occupied until January?
Kudos on giving up the cigarettes!!

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Volunteering is a good idea. Get busy.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've thought about volunteer work as well, though (correct me if I'm wrong) there may be 2 possible issues with that, first, in some countries you can get in trouble for volunteering if you don't have a work permit even though it's not paid, and second, I can't speak much Dutch yet. If only we had some extra cash laying around right now, then language classes would be perfect to keep me occupied and meet some new people! But then again, once I have my residence permit then the government here will pay for the language classes.

And thanks, it was an uphill battle with the ciggies. Biggest fear with that one was that I would gain weight, and alas, it's coming true.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Where did you live before you lived in the Netherlands? If you lived in the United States, and have an old city/county library card, your library system might have language classes on its website, and you could take Dutch that way. Good luck with everything, including the cigarettes.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Good job with kicking the butts! I did it myself, I'm one month smoke-free and crave them almost everyday, ugh.

Try chewing sugarfree gum (plain Trident and Orbit is vegan) when you get urges to munch/smoke something. It works for me.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been just over a month myself! It's hard, very hard, but definitely cheaper and healthier. Hope quitting goes well with you, and good luck. Thankfully, eventually it gets to the point where you get grossed out walking past smokers.

Haven't still got the old library card unfortunately.
But thankfully it should only be 2 more months, then I can work! And the BF has a bike and GPS smartphone that I can borrow to explore this area, which on a pleasant day should be fantastic for my sanity. I've heard lots of reports that this is one of the most cyclist-friendly places on Earth, with bike lanes everywhere. So far, definitely more so the the US, and the air is a lot cleaner for it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Cycling would be great to keep you busy in the Netherlands. When I went there I was amazed by how many cycle lanes there were.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hell yes, I'm enjoying the fact that it's an easy form of transportation here! Amazed though at how many people have bicycles with child seats, I'd be too scared as of right now but apparently it's possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts