VeggieBoards banner
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndulation View Post

Holo.

Its an important question. That I would like to hear you long answer to. personally I am not sure on my ethical position here.
I agree that it's an important question, and I'm not really sure of my position either.

My long answer is kind of sucky.

I've been through some things. I've been in a situation where killing someone in self defense would have been entirely permissible. I chose not to and survived anyway. I disabled my attacker, but ... I thought about whether I should shoot him, it was a horrible experience. I could have prevented the death of an innocent person, but I never would have been able to live with myself if I'd killed him. That was the decision I made. I would not fault anyone for making a different decision in my shoes.

However, and here's where ethically for me it gets a little sticky, I've also chosen to kill, or participate in the killing of, quite a few animals. I wouldn't kill a person even if they would kill me but I didn't have any problem killing a fish when I was hungry. I guess that makes me speciesist? I don't know. It's hard for me to even think about it, because there was so much trauma in both experiences. I was very young and hunting and fishing was the way of life of the culture I was in, but I didn't think it was wrong and I still don't know if I do.

· Banned
716 Posts
They are unlikely to die of starvation they are just less likely to reproduce. However if you have a mixed hunter scavenger who would otherwise hunt then you are making a killing more likely.

Holo.

I am glad that you admit your speciesism.

Do you think it is OK to kill humans who torture animals?

· Registered
320 Posts
Quote:

Holo.

I am glad that you admit your speciesism.

Do you think it is OK to kill humans who torture animals?
No. I don't think it's okay to kill humans who torture humans either, unless there is some extreme circumstance where the person cannot be properly detained.

· Registered
320 Posts
More speciesism thoughts,

I would not be angry at all if I were confronted in the woods by a hungry bear who ate me. I would want to live, but I would not be angry at the bear.

If a human did the same thing to me I would be pissed as hell.

· Registered
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

More speciesism thoughts,

I would not be angry at all if I were confronted in the woods by a hungry bear who ate me. I would want to live, but I would not be angry at the bear.

If a human did the same thing to me I would be pissed as hell.
I'd be upset either way.

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Wouldn't eat it if i could avoid it. No roadkill or stuff for me.

Now if somehow there is no other way to eat something and the bear or whatever is already dead without any human involvement, i will probably do it. But unless the animal died of hunger or thirst, there is probably a better source of food around.

Done some survival stuff, and there is always way to eat stuff, from snow to wood, at least enough to stay alive for a long while and reach a place where you are ok.

Unless you go for some post apocalyptic what if or if you have broken your both legs and both arms ( in which case good luck ), i don't see why you sould not be able to avoid it.

If there is no necessity, i don't see the point, especially since it has been proved that animal protein per se is bad for us since we are not carnivores, cf china study etc

· Registered
14 Posts
I could only really eat meat if i found myself in some bear grylls situation, but if say food sources were down or something i wouldn't really hesitate to eat meat, but i don't feel myself to be such a strong vegetarian as some others, like i don't get affected as much from the killing of an animal as some of my vegetarian friends.

· Registered
1,315 Posts
@hondulation you seem to have missed the part where it says "there is always way to eat stuff, from snow to wood, at least enough to stay alive for a long while and reach a place where you are ok."

Nobody said anything about living on it forever...

if you've been in the army you should know...

Plus they don't do refunds...
laugh.gif

· Registered
320 Posts
Quote:

You have done 'some survival stuff' and think you can get nutrients from snow or wood? I would ask for your money back.
Melting snow for water and eating lichen/moss from trees probably.

I learned this in Minnesota, it's just safety stuff they teach you in school in case you get lost in the winter time.

· Registered
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

I learned this in Minnesota, it's just safety stuff they teach you in school in case you get lost in the winter time.
In school?? COOL!

· Banned
716 Posts
Quote:
Nobody said anything about living on it forever...

if you've been in the army you should know...
I have been in the Army, I have been on escape and evasion courses which involves survival and neither wood nor snow give any nutrition whatsoever. Indeed eating snow is extremely detrimental to your survival as it can induce hypothermia.

We are completely incapable of digesting cellulose so we can gain nothing from wood or grass.

Quote:
Yes you should melt any snow to drink it and you can certainly eat moss and lichens (or fruit from tree) if you are in a birch forest then the sap of the Birch tree is edible and incredibly calorie dense This is NOT what he said though. He said eat snow and eat wood.

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Man, i didn't say that snow was giving any nutrition, its solidified water...

Yes, it induces hypotermia but it is still what you are going to do with no other source of water and no way to melt it even against yourself.

By wood i actually meant bark ( just looked it up now, don't know those words in english, thanks to you i just learned sap and birch tree :) ) , didn't think that anyone would be thinking that i was talking about the hard part of the wood. And yeah btw i mean the soft internal part of the bark, not the crunchy part.

I was just quickly commenting on the matter, not giving a course on survival...

I know that my english sucks but i didn't think it so much as to make people think that i was saying that snow was giving you nutrition forever... Or that when i say from x to x ( that includes sap, lichens, needles and whatever you want ) i mean only...

dizzy2.gif

81 - 100 of 135 Posts