VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost every night I get hungry after dinner- around 8-8:30- and lately I've been having a snack at this time. I did gain five pounds recently, so I'm wondering if this late night snacking could be causing my problem. How bad is late night snacking? How bad is eating right before you go to bed? Tonight I just came home and had a pear but I'm so stinking hungry!

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I believe that you aren't supposed to eat within three hours of sleeping, so I guess it depends on what time you go to bed.

Weight can fluctuate due to any number of factors, especially for women, due to the hormonal changes we experience each month.

If you're hungry, really genuinely hungry (not bored), then your body is telling you it needs energy and you should eat. Choose your snack wisely, of course, and try to discern if you really need something.

I'm always trying to drink more water, so sometimes when I get the munchies, I make myself drink a big glass of water, first, before deciding whether or not to have a snack. ^_^

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowmoon

How bad is late night snacking?
Depending on what you're eating, it can be really bad. I'm going through the same problem myself. I usually study from about 9pm to 1am and eating anywhere in-between is bad but I'd make it even worse by having a grilled cheese or noodles. YECH!!

The two things I'll suggest, that have helped me, is (A) get your body used to eating smaller, more frequent meals. Speeds up the metabolism so at night, it isn't as lethargic as it was when it was used to having a "big" dinner. (B) get some "good" snacks for ONLY at night. Hey, if you're gonna eat, eat. I have apples, raisins, bananas, silk-shakes, and rice, sometimes. Just avoid the fattier and carb-heavy foods.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I eat at night after dinner...all the time. What did I have tonight, five strawberries and a cup of hot tea with sugar. While I watch what I eat at night, I generally have a snack about eight thirty or nine. If I'm really hungry, popcorn works best...VERY filling. But otherwise I generally stick to fruit. Bannanas work very well because they are also filling. Apples, pears and citrus...are just not on the other hand. Anyway, eating at this time of night continues my whole eat something every three hours philosophy.

If you're hungry linz, eat. You actually realize you're depriving yourself..or your body does, which is why you're hungry. I keep waiting for you to be tired of this constant battle over the food.

B

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Krista and tweety have both told me time and time again that it depends on the overall daily cals, not when. I do not worry about this, because there are so many conflicting ideas, this one makes sense. I eat dinner ususally an hour before I sleep.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Its natural for people to want to eat every couple of hours. If you are hungry, I would eat. A piece of fruit can't hurt. I eat before bed all the time and I've actually kept off the 15lbs I've lost.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The latest long-term research that's come out over the last 1-2 years says that the eating before bedtime is blown out of proportion. I wish I kept links of them all, but here's the basic study:

They had 2 groups, both eating the same foods. One group did not eat within 3 hours of bedtime, the other group eat whenever they wanted to. There was no difference in weight gain in the groups.

The largest problem with people eating late is that they often overeat. For example, by suppertime they've already eaten everything they should have, then emotional eat at night. That's bad. But, if you didn't eat a lot all day and are hungry later, then eat.

Currently, Oprah swears that she lost weight by not eating 2-3 hrs before bedtime. Still, if you look at her daily menu, she's barely eating (IMHO) and that's what's making her lose weight far more then anything else.

Now, if you gorge yourself at night, you won't sleep well and your belly will probably hurt in the morning. But, if you have a slice of WW bread w a little jam or peanut butter and a small glass of fortitifed milk, you'll feel better.

I find I lose weight pacing my meals throughout the day to include 3 meals and 3 snacks. I do much better and don't spend the 3 hours before bedtime standing in the kitchen having dirty thoughts about food.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I like what people have said, but want to throw in my own $0.02 as well. You just have to listen to your body. I want to eat a tiny bit every two hours, and if I don't eat soon before I go to bed, I dream about food and wake up famished, almost sick-feeling, because I'm so hungry. (I have been known to go eat cereal or toast at four in the morning and go back to bed if I ate dinner at say, 5 or 6, and didn't eat afterwards.) I know myself well enough, too, to know that the first thing I should do in the morning is get my oatmeal or whatever going so I can slowly begin to refuel before a shower and the rest of it.

Definately, though, seize the opportunity to eat good foods -- my late-night favorites are cereal or toast w/ fruit, etc -- sort of sweet, but ordinarily fortified w/ good stuff and washed down with soymilk. (BTW, for those who read the "what did you eat" thread, the cookie-overload of late is because I baked this weekend
)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I eat lots of little meals and snacks throughout the day, including at night, sometimes late at night, but I only eat healthful things--mostly fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts and legumes. I have lost 35 lbs. in the past year, so I don't think when you eat has anything to do with it. If I'm hungry I eat, but I've learned not to overeat and to eat nutrient-dense foods and not empty calories. Don't go hungry!

·
Registered
0 Posts
linz, do you usually eat enough for dinner?

i had a doctor once tell me that i was displaying signs of something called "night eating disorder", but this made me mad because i thought it was "good" to let myself eat. aparently night eating is when you restrict all day and then eat all your cals at once right before bed or in the middle of the night and then you feel guilty so you dont eat the whole next day and its a cycle. which is how i am pretty much.

im sure that might be a real thing, but for some reason it pissed me off. anyone ever hear of that? because i can see how OVER eating at night can be bad, but not just snacks.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone.

I think since I go to bed around 10, I'll just start having my snack by 7:30-8:00. That gives it time to digest. Generally my night time snacks are fruits, toast, half a hummus sandwich, some cereal...nothing major.

Secura- I'm not sure if I eat enough for dinner. Last night I had a bean burrito and a pear and I was pretty hungry by like 8:00, but sometimes if I eat a larger dinner, I don't need a late night snack. So perhaps a better idea here would be for me to eat more at dinnertime? By the way, I used to do that quite a lot- starve all day and rack up an additional 300 calories at like 7:30 when I couldn't deal with it anymore.

thanks everyone!

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I'm with Matchgirl. If I don't have enough food before bed I wake up at three in the morning dying of hunger. I actually keep a bag of rice cakes next to my bed for this purpose...

I read an article a while back that says the reason people associate eating late with gaining weight is that at night people tend to make bad food decisions, literally, because it's darker outside. I guess if you can't *see* all the grease on the pizza, you'll eat a lot of it...

However, Keegan's right. Overall calories= overall calories. If you eat your entire day's worth of calories right before bed every day, you won't gain weight just because you're eating a lot before bed.

And hunger interferes with sleep just as much as being too full before bed does. It's best to have a nice snack before bed... Sleep deprevation can have more severe consequences than gaining half a pound.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've found that if I'm hungry before I go to bed its because I either a)OVERdid it at dinner or b)haven't done a very good job of spacing out meals.

And I also believe its better for me to go to bed a little bit hungry.

Of course, I end up falling asleep at 9pm anyway, so late nite eating doesn't usually become such a problem anyway, heh!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Rainbowmoon,

Time and time again I have told you this, but I guess I need to say it again - you do not eat enough at any of your meals. Instead you fill yourself up on empty calories throughout the day.

A bean burrito and a pear is a snack for me.

As long as you continue to starve yourself all day only to fill up on less then stellar foods later, you will not lose the weight you seem to think you need to. Eat properly all day long.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Word to that, krista! I am the queen of 6 mini-meals per day...
and I eat before bed if I am hungry, which I usually am.

I promise, linz...the mini meals all day will make you feel SO much better; you just have to get over the delusion that it adds up to *too* much food, 'cause it doesn't. In fact, you will be eating better because I think if you aren't starving when you sit down to eat, you are more likely to choose something reasonable instead of junk. Oh yeah, and the more your starve yourself, the more you can't stop thinking about food...see the vicious cycle here???

Okay, that was my 2 cents. Take care!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I usually eat marvelous, healthy food all day, and then when 8pm hits, I hunt around for the cake, ice cream, cookies, candy, pie... lots of sweet, nonnutritious stuff. I overeat on the desserts like crazy. If I only have one piece of pie or only one cookie in a 24 hour period, I consider that real improvement.

I've been working on grabbing an apple or hummus on crackers or something else that's not as sugar-loaded, but it's hard. Drinking lots of water does help, when I remember to keep my glass filled!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Krista-

Alright, I'm listening and trying to believe it. The problem I'm having is, if all I do is eat small meals all day, I literally never feel satisfied the whole course and after awhile, that feels somewhat annoying, you know? So I tried eating big dinner meals, but generally by the time dinner rolls around I've had quite a few calories so I don't want to eat something huge. I'm not sure how to do this....3 big meals or six small ones. What is a small meal? What is a big meal? I'm so lost, you have no idea. I don't know what to eat, how much to eat, how much is normal/acceptable. All I know is, prom is in two weeks, my parents have to pay for my dress- next week its nothing but rice, veggies and protein shakes for me....

But after that, I really want to get something established here. I'm really sorry to be pissing you off Krista....
lol....its just that honestly, I don't know what to do. I am trying, I want you to know I am attempting to find a healthy balance. For the first time in awhile I allowed myself to take a break from exercise on the first few days of my period so I wouldn't have to deal with the horrible pain- I just went for a nice long walk. I've been attempting to eat some more food, to watch my protein intake, and all that. Yesterday I went and put my prom dress on and my gut was profusely poking out, but that could be because of my period and bloating. I just feel lost in a sea of mass confusion about it all. Overwhelmed.

I might get to go see the nutritionist again, but the insurance doesn't cover it unless I'm anorexic or clinically overweight, so it may or may not happen. I feel a need to get something healthy and comfortable established, and I do intend to keep trying, but now I am feeling somewhat lost.

lovenlight,

linz

1 - 20 of 29 Posts