VeggieBoards banner

Eating late at night bad?

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Greenleaf85 
#1 ·
Is this an old wive's tale or is there merit to this? When is the latest you guys eat?

#5 ·
Many important metabolic processes take place primarily during the night. Those processes require nutrients just like any energy consuming activity you'd do during the day. With just a little skeptical analysis, most of the reasoning behind avoiding eating before bed collapses as nonsense. I personally find that if I sleep with a full stomach, as almost any animal without the disadvantage of being able to over analyze it's instincts would do, I get sick less and have shorter recovery periods between workouts or just tiring days in general.

#7 ·
Your body's digestive system works at all times of the day. I think to a degree, it's a matter of preference whether you feel you sleep better with minimal food in your belly, or after a light meal. I wouldn't suggest going to bed on a really full stomach, as it might just be uncomfortable.

#8 ·
It's not so much eating late at night that is a problem but eating close to your bedtime, whatever time of day that may be (just to be inclusive of us shiftworkers
). Sleeping after a meal can cause acid reflux and heartburn in some people.

#9 ·
As far as weight gain is concerned I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter at all. Either you're eating clean or you're not. I've heard that eating a small handful of nuts or a similar snack right before bedtime is actually beneficial somehow. Perhaps to keep you're metabolism active? I don't know, I'm no expert.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

It's not so much eating late at night that is a problem but eating close to your bedtime, whatever time of day that may be (just to be inclusive of us shiftworkers
). Sleeping after a meal can cause acid reflux and heartburn in some people.
Exactly and people tend to indulge or over indulge in not so health stuff at night. Its is more about what you eat then when unless indigestion or upset stomach wake you up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.