VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
just be honest with her and tell her what you told us. that if she bugs you it'll make it worse. pressuring you is the worst thing she can do. and hey 135 is a very healthy weight for your height!<br><br>
i'm about 5'5" and weigh around 105-110 lbs, but i actually want to gain weight. i think i'm too thin, not unhealthily so, i've always been this size, it's genetics and has nothing to do with what i eat. i'd love to weigh about 120-130, but just can't seem to put it on.<br><br>
tell her she has nothing to worry about and that 135 is a perfectly normal weight for your size and build (judging by your pic you have a petite build?)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i hear your frustration, funkified. that sucks. your mom must feel really scared and worried after your experience with anorexia. it's very hard feeling powerless to help someone you can see is suffering and who you love very much.<br><br><br><br>
did your mom read much about the disease while you were in it's throes? was she a part of your recovery? have you told her how this behaviour affects you, really?<br><br><br><br>
i know it's hard sometimes to open up the lines of communication with parents - it's such a weird intimate relationship with someone who you never really CHOSE to have one with - but i think that if you are living together, and lived through your experiences with ED, frank communication would be key to your working through this.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
okay. well, you're family knew and understood what was going on with you while you were anorexic. as you say, they were in denial. that indicates knowledge, since denial is essentially a form of ignoring something real that you don't want to be real. it's only been talked about since you brought it up.<br><br><br><br>
i know it's tough and you don't want to hurt her feelings. i am sure she is feeling the same way about how to approach you about her fears for your well-being. the way you are wording things here shows me that you have the words you need to be honest and non-hurtful with people. i am almost 100% certain that if you sat down with her and laid it on the table, she'd get it.<br><br><br><br>
also, do you have any resources that you could give her that talk about the kinds of things you are experiencing now that you are in recovery? maybe if she read some true-life experiences from other people who have come out of ED to tell the tale, she might be able to better see your side of things?<br><br><br><br>
i know that i don't like to talk much about my experiences with bulemia as a teen and young adult because i find myself looking <i>fondly</i> back at them when it becomes a topic of discussion. i don't know if that's the same for you, but triggers are so ****ing weird and personal.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't think too many people like to be bothered about their weight whether they are thin or larger. I am larger and my parents have made comments that bother me (a whole lot, too). I have told my father that I don't like anyone saying anything about my weight no matter what weight I am. I feel that I know how I look and when I want to do something about it I will. If I don't want to, too, that's okay by me.<br><br><br><br>
But you are happy where you are with your weight and should not have to be explaining yourself to your mother so much. I would try to get up my nerve and sit down with her and say I want to talk about something and want her to listen. Then I would say I am fine and that it is upsetting me that she is often making comments related to my weight. I would also tell her thanks for her concern. Then I would say I want you to try to stop making those comments. I think the best time to have this conversation is when the air is clear and you feel pretty good. I agree the counseling could help if you want to go that route at some time-maybe family therapy. I wish you much luck with it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well you need to tell her straight forward that your eating is fine and that you dont need her worrying about you. That anerexia is a thing of the past and your moving on with your life now. I can see why she is worried but you need to let her know there is nothing to worry about. Tell her you know she is just worried but you dont like what she is doing. And if all else fails. If shes at dinner or lunch with you pig out and maybe she will get the hint lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts