VeggieBoards banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Make sure you're drinking enough (good) fluids (water, juice, etc). Dehydration can come on like hunger pangs, and often when I think I'm hungry a pint of water will solve it.

It'll also do wonders for your skin if you drink a few pints of water a day
I have been honestly trying hard to drink lots of water, and somedays I will, somedays I'll just forget or I'll be too busy. I just need to push myslelf, it's not that hard

At one point I was drinking a few refillable water bottles a day, and my skin was loving it!! I tend to get pimples on my T-zone, and I know taht water pretty much cures it, I just need to STICK TO IT! ha ha
than ks for the reply

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

In my teenage years I started doing the exact same thing and it continues into my early twenties. Very high carb based foods will help fill you up. Similar to nuts try granola, oatmeal, peanut butter, pastas. And drink as much water or soy milk (or whatever milk substitute you use) with meals as you can.
I might be misinformed, but I thought that carbs are supposed to be eaten in moderation? Don't they make you gain a lot of weight? I don't want that, I think I need vitamin-rich foods instead.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

Nuts are good to graze on, but making sure you get enough to eat is always important. The most important thing is learning when you are really, truly hungry, and when you are just feeling like a nibble.

Nuts, snack bars, also bake your own cakes if you can? Baking is such a rewarding thing to get into, and I haven't baked a cake in a week or so and am starting to get the shakes just posting here!
I try not to just mindlessly eat when I'm bored or just because

Also, I have made brownies and a few different recipes of cupcakes, but I actually have stopped because I thought it was a bad thing to do.
Because when I have sweets around, I'll eat them instead of fruit or something healthier.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Carbs being bad for you is a myth, your body needs carbs. Go ahead and dig into the whole grains, they will help fill you up. If you're worried about weight, calories are what you look out for but it really sounds like you're not getting enough calories, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

Carbs being bad for you is a myth, your body needs carbs. Go ahead and dig into the whole grains, they will help fill you up. If you're worried about weight, calories are what you look out for but it really sounds like you're not getting enough calories, I wouldn't worry about it.
And I'm not really worried about my weight, I don't want to gain any but I also don't want to lose any - not that I'd complain if I did
- but I just try to get a good balance of calories and nutrients.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah- View Post

I try not to just mindlessly eat when I'm bored or just because

Also, I have made brownies and a few different recipes of cupcakes, but I actually have stopped because I thought it was a bad thing to do.
Because when I have sweets around, I'll eat them instead of fruit or something healthier.
So long as you're not loading your baking with unnecessary sugars, baking is ok. Just don't munch a whole cake, it should be filling after a slice. Snacking on fruit is all well and good, but I personally find that I end up eating far too much fruit and getting sick of it, then not eating any for a long time.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah- View Post

I might be misinformed, but I thought that carbs are supposed to be eaten in moderation? Don't they make you gain a lot of weight? I don't want that, I think I need vitamin-rich foods instead.
When it comes to eating any vitamin/mineral has to be taking in a healthy moderation. but after a balanced meal if you still find yourself hungry carbs will fill you up, and like other members already said water helps fill you up too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

You know you can use multiple quotes in a post, right? Just use the little "+ symbol under each post
... That could have come in handy

silly me

·
Registered
9 Posts
The most important thing about snacking is to be prepared! I have a box of Larabars in my car for whenever I am hungry and not able to prepare a meal. They are super filling, vegan, and only have, like, four ingredients...amazing!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Some have discussed baking and its health merits. One way to truly make baking wholesome is to puree beans into baked goods. Here is one of my examples:

BANANA BREAD
1.5 cups flour
6 tbsp. flaxseed
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1.5 cups mashed bananas
1/3 tsp. vanilla

1.5 cups beans (pinto or white would likely be best)
½ cup oats (pureed into bananas/beans)
6 tbsp. brown sugar
3/4 cup dates
3/4 cup walnuts
Process bananas, beans, oats, and sugar. After pureeing other ingredients, add dates. Mix dry ingredients, and the nuts in with the dry ingredients. Mix all together and steam or bake.

Of course, one court vary this recipe in countless ways. One could use other types of nuts, other dried fruits, or chocolate chips. One could add other extracts or flavorings. One could even substitute cocoa or carob powder for some of the flour. One could also substitute wheat germ or rice bran for part of the flour.

The basic concept can be applied to numerous baked goods and one can find many such recipes all over the internet. Essentially, one should substitute 1 cup of pureed beans for 1/2 cup flour, and perhaps subtract a little liquid.

It does make dense baked goods, but I do not find that necessarily a problem. I find the taste still quite good, and I would say the texture can actually be pleasant.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.