VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 2105 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDITED: As of July 24, 2003, this is a no numbers thread. We no longer reference weight, calories, measures, etc.

Hi all,

I'm re-starting this so that the VB people (Hi there!) can find out immediately what we are all about. Also, I'm including some of my hints and hugs, as I know some of you would re-read the entire thread on those bad days.

Anyone is welcome to join in, but you have to following the rules:

1. You get hugged, regardless if you want it or not.

2. You have to be willing to learn to love yourself, even if you do not right now.

3. You have to listen to me, as Mama Bear knows best. <insert smilie, which I don't know how to do yet>

May the day come quickly when we do not need this thread. Until then, this will always been a safe place to land.

Krista

------------

After substantial consideration, I've decided to begin a new group. Over the last month or so, I've recieved a shocking number of private messages, not to mention the open messages, concerning those of us struggling with eating disorders. Some are borderline, some are recovery, some are just falling into the pit and some just believe starvation is normal. But, regardless of their place on the path, there are simply too many suffering.

Don't worry if you're not ready to let everyone know. That is your choice, not anyone else's. But still drop by and read. Maybe even offer a hug to someone else who is struggling. I'll update it frequently and try to offer something motivating or practical to help you along the way. If you are struggling, pop by and read this once and a while. I hope that it will remind you of how important it is to live happily.

As for my personal "qualifications" on the subject....

I'm 27 years old and I suffered from anoxeria between the ages of 10 and 19. It ranged varing degrees to obsessing over what I was eating, to not eating at all to ritualistic eating the same foods the same way every day.

Currently, I am 5'6 1/2 and weight 159lbs. I've always had a curvy body and was never meant to be very thin. I grew 2.5 inches in my 20s when I began eating properly. I got tired of my eating disorder, became tired of stressful eating and gave it up. I was lucky. There wasn't a treatment center I could have been sent to, so I didn't have to endure the cruelty of force feeding and humilation (which, for some people, is the only way to help them, unfortunately). I was able to find a university councellor who I talked to once every couple weeks for 30 minutes, but I was on my own. I learned everything I could about nutrition, exercise, proper eating.

At this point in my life, I eat what I want. I choose to eat junk food days, as well as healthy days. I don't beat myself up when I have a junk food day that sours 4000+ calories, as I do them once every month or two and it's a fun party for me. I don't fast, I don't juice diet, I don't carb count and protein match on color coded charts. I eat what I should, make sure I get all my vit and minerals, make sure I eat enough fiber, and have fun.

I can still hear the voice in the back of my mind adding it's 2cents worth once and a while. But I don't listen to it anymore. When I listened to it, I starved myself within inches of a heart attack. I resolved not to do that anymore. It was hard the first few weeks. Then one day, I sat down to a huge meal and finished it without hearing the guilty voice talk...wow, what a liberating feeling. To know that I had broken threw. After that, it was a lot easier because I knew I could do it.

If you wish to post and let us know your questions or perhaps share some insight, you are welcome to do so. If you're not ready to let people know your situation, feel free to vegmail me. And I'll help the best I can.

Take care. There is so much more to life then worrying if you're eating too much, especially when you are not.

Krista

-----

Various Krista-isms

Make sure to have a fruit or vegetable with every meal.

Your assignment for the day....look at yourself naked and say you're beautiful. Even if you don't feel it. Say it outloud. It'll drown out the voice inside.

Keep going. Tomorrow is a day without any guilt in it.

Those of us with food issues often make it an all or nothing case, cheating ourselves out of enjoyment of food and replacing it with guilt and resentment. You ate 3 slices of deli pizza at a party. So, the next day, you make sure you eat normal, but also throw in a couple extra servings of fruit and vegetables to help balance things out.

Our bodies are gifts and to abuse them is the greatest sin of all.

Enjoy a treat along side well-balanced meals.

Exercise to feel better, not to the point of obsession.

Keep working on what you need, not want your voice says. Screw the voice. Tell it to kiss your belly and bugger off. Do this while standing naked in the mirror and you will end up laughing at yourself. It's great fun.

Fight for what you really are - a wonderful, bright person.

Moderation! Moderation! Moderation! Everything in moderation! ...Unless your home planet is being invaded by repilitian aliens and you have to leave your caste system to all become terrorists. (Guess what I've been watching...)

If this was 1940, I would be a pin-up girl and have a dozen movies under my belt right now. Kate Moss would have been admited to a hospital for "exhaustion" and "hysteria" and force fed. Today, Marilynn Monroe would be in Jenny Craig and told by movie producers that she was too fat to be in movies.

Eat well and let your body relax into its own weight. Stop forcing it to be something it does not want to be."

When you feel yourself getting "excited" (anxious, stressed, worked up, obsessive, etc etc), close your eyes and take a deep breath through your nose (under your lungs are full) and slowly release through your mouth. Do this under you calm down. Clear your mind while doing it and only think of the breathing.

Come on hun, you need to eat. I know you feel bad about the ice cream and it's OK to eat a little lighter the next day. Instead of not eating at all, try having a lot of fruits and veggies today and cut out something a little fatty - like half of the peanut butter you would normally eat. Just eat something.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally I would hug you, but you've started to enjoy the hugging too much.

Oh, what the heck! But only this once...HUGS

How is everyone doing? Freemouse, did you start eating the day after the ice cream? Don't make me take back that hug now!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Hey Krista!!

We were supposed to go back to school today but it snowed...a snow day in april!!!! I guess its cool, but I find it somewhat annoying because that sets me at home eating all day! *exasperated face* OH WELL!! Its just one more lousy day! I gotta make it to the gym!!

*hughughug*

loveandlight,

linz

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yes krista I've been eating well these couple of days. Actually I figured I need a little treat to prevent the ice cream down fall. So I had a piece of mini Milkyway after a good dinner last night, and that's where the craving stopped! How I love waking up feeling refreshed and happy!!

e.....can I keep the hug?

(^__^)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hi, Kreeli, welcome to the group!! Just watch out that krista, she's mean mean mean! Never confess you only get 990mg of calcium today, otherwise she will chase you to the end of the world with another 10mg that "you are missing".

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You just be lucky I only make you follow the Canadian standards and not the American ones! Now, don't go scaring the VBers, FM. I'll have to get out the BIG stick, if you do.

Kreeli,

Welcome to our little community!

It's good to have all of us together again. I haven't seen Keegan move over yet. I sincerely hope he does. With the hard time he's been having, he needs to get together with people who can help him.

Freemouse, I'm happy to hear about the treat. Good for you!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have been eating like a maniac. i came home from school and ate a cinnamon rasin english muffin with pb, a big apple, a bowl of cereal with chocolate soymilk, and half of a clif bar. and i am still hungry. at least i won't go to the hospital tomorrow but i feel SO GROSS.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Evane,

You have to eat!! You know in your heart you are doing the right thing. If you are having a hard time with the amount of calories you are consuming, but are still hungry, eat fruit and vegetables raw. That way, you'll quell the calorie demon (we'll work on him later), but you will be feeding your hunger. And the boost of nutrients will help you feel better, mentally and physically. And, you are worth it.

Have you been able to get a professional to talk to?

BIG HUGS I'm so proud that you've eaten, even though you're feeling "gross."

BTW, the "grossness" is not your body talking. It is your disease talking. By eating, you are telling your disease to kiss off. You are in control when you eat. YOU control your body when you eat, not the disease. The disease is in control when you stop eating. I am sooo proud that you are eating today.

Keep it up hun!

Remember, we're a soft place to fall when it hurts inside. We all care about you.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Evan, that's totally fine!! At least you made healthy choces. I pigged a whole PINT of dreamery ice cream several days ago and felt soooo darn gross. But I just (as krista said) ate a little lighter the next day and it turned out to be ok. And, for girls like us, it is your body trying to save itself!!! When you see the blue veins running under your skin, your body will start to get mad at your "willpower". Maybe we should feel lucky that our bodies are still capable of rebel this way----therefore we are not a grab of fragile crispy bone!!!!

Live and be strong!

Mega Hug!!!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
allibaba I like your name! Yeah the only way I can stay away from the dreamery is to leave them in the supermarket, sigh....what's the point of eating that stuff if I am not allowed to finish the tub?

I have no problem eating JUST 1 cookie or chocolate, but the dreamery ice cream thing......lol, I've been making homemade ice cream in Dixie cups these days (milk+Crystal Light), hehehe.....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean, I hate hate hate feeling full. Ugh....like today....man I have eaten too much the last 4 days. I've been hungrier than I usually am, but I hate knowing that I've eaten so much food. Yuck. Slap me please Krista.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rainbowmoon,

Stop fretting over the candy and treats you have.

Please eat more fruits and vegetables and try making some healthy homemade muffins and cookies. That way, you'll know what's in them and won't feel bad about them. I can help you with some, if you wish.

Hugs

1 - 20 of 2105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.