VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone ever watch the Ali G episode on animal rights? He asked a hypothetical which I thought was a classic...

What would you do if someone said "Eat this chicken, or I'm going to kill another chicken"?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Seriously though, that's a really good question...I honestly can say that unless put into that exact situation, I'm not sure what I would do. However, I can say that as of right now, I feel like I would take a bite of the chicken...and later puke my guts out. It just seems more logical to save the one chicken's life...because there's not much you could do about the other one. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JoyFuLGurL7

I feel like I would take a bite of the chicken...and later puke my guts out. It just seems more logical to save the one chicken's life...because there's not much you could do about the other one. Does that make sense?
Yeah, that's what I would do, too. If it's a matter of trying to cause the least suffering, then you might as well eat the already dead chicken and save the live one.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i'd walk away. anyone who would seriously put me in a situation like that is one sick ass hat. the chicken might die, but who's to say the jerk wouldn't kill it anyway, even after you've eaten the already-dead one? a person like that is a psycho.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This reminds me of a Jain parable that really left a deep impression on me.

In ancient times, there was once a devout Jain king who was standing on a balcony. A dove landed on his balcony and the king noticed a hungry hawk in the air eyeing the dove. He realized that if he did not save the dove from the hawk, the dove would surely die. But he also realized that if he saved the dove, he would be harming the hawk and probably her children who needed the dove for food.

So in the end, he took out his knife and cut off his thumb and offered it to the hawk as food in exchange for the life of the dove.

When you have it in your power to save a life without committing violence towards another life, think out of the box.

In case of Mr. Ali G, whoever he is, I would simply knock him unconscious and walk away with the chicken. This would nicely solve the problem although I wish there was a more non-violent approach to this situation.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I would not eat the chicken because it would only legitimize the situation. I would not be guilty of killing the chicken. Like Rushabh, I don't like violence but I would probably knock the guy out and take the chicken. Anyone like this probably kills chockens anyway and the chicken would almosy certainly end up dead anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just so you know... Ali G is a character who does interviews with politicians etc who usually don't realise that it's a spoof (did that make sense?). He's the kind of guy you're supposed to laugh at rather than with but it's a very British type of humour I think (and I have to admit I don't find him all that funny since I don't like laughing at other people's discomfort).

And I don't know what I'd do about the chicken.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rushabh

In case of Mr. Ali G, whoever he is, I would simply knock him unconscious and walk away with the chicken.
You is finking like a batty boy. Booyakasha, respec to the chicken innit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ali G probably wouldn't know what a live chicken looked like - they don't have many of them running around the streets of Staines, UK!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
lol. Sasha Baron Cohen (The guy behind Ali G) has done a few funny things. I love the Ali G show. I especially liked the one where Borat interviewed the animal rights protestors!! It is laughing at the expense of others, but there's no seriousness in it. He just asked a couple of protestors "Why do you hunt the fox?" and he got a reaction. And because Borat is a foreign character, he can get away with making linguistic mistakes, and confusing stuff like that.

But Ali G's question was "Would you eat a chicken if someone else said "Eat this or I'll kill another hundred" so it kinda makes a difference than eat one or they'll kill one.

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
My stand would be this. I wouldn't eat the chicken. I wouldn't cross my convictions to convience his lack of compassion. I also believe he would go ahead and kill the chickens out of shock value alone. Let the deaths of the chickens be on his head. No one is guilt tripping me with that old gag.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Interpreting this as a thought experiment as opposed to a rl situation (ie where you could walk away, kill him, etc.), I would eat the chicken.

·
Registered
416 Posts
that was the 1st thing i ever saw of ali g, i thought about it ages after, about if i would eat the chicken or not, i dont' think i would tho.......

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It's one of those questions meant to confuse you, or stump you. A more common one is asking a person who believes in God, "If God can do anything, why can't he sin/make a mistake?"

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I think this question is simply asking, what is more important to you, the not eating, or the not killing. If you don't try to pick apart the premise of the question, it asks what is driving your not eating meat.

For those of you answering one or the other (as opposed to "other") can you explain your answers? What if a chicken were trapped in chicken meat and only way to save it would be for you to eat it? (without attacking the premise of the question.)

These questions are good bc they remind us of the reason we stopping eating meat- to help animals, not to stop eating meat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts