VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookit what I did today:

http://geobay.com/c611ea

A couple working long hours living in an apartment wants a dog but is afraid it'll get lonely and pee everywhere during the day. The other people providing answers said, "sure go for it, a puppy will do great" and "no you need a yard."

Well what about all those dogs who are already apartment-trained, lonely anyway, and are pining for a home?? This is a GOLDEN opportunity to get the word out about adopting from a shelter. People especially those w/yahoo accounts go answer some of these people and save some lives!

Some people know about how heart-breaking this situation is, but I guess a lot of people don't, and they're not getting the right info.
Help me to help some hard-working shelter owners to help some poor abandoned animals find homes!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Very great response. I often tell people I'd rather get an adult dog. Puppies are cute, but they can drive you crazy and require a lot of hard work.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's another example, someone who needs a medium-sized, energetic dog, good w/kids. Wants to know what KIND to get?
ummm...maybe a ... MUTT!?!?? But I'm very nice in my response, see if I'm not:

http://geobay.com/a9fcbc

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would also like to mention greyhound adoption into this debate. I own 2 xracers, and they make wonderful pets. All too often they are overlooked when people are looking to adopt. There are alot of greyt adoption agencies out there ready to adopt greyhounds into loving homes. They make good apartment dogs as they are couch potato's by nature, and are very gentle and loving. They are also excellent for people who have severe allergies as they have very little oil in their coats. I have severe allergies and have been in a room with over 200 greyhounds and haven't had a sniffle.It was one of the reasons we adopted our 2 greyhounds, and we haven't had any regrets.

·
Registered
963 Posts
^ Thanks for that, my mum has bad allergies and I want a dog when I move out, but I worried because even if the dog was out the room when she visited she can still get ill, or even if I come round with doggy clothes, and there's a chance I could develop some allergies too. Obviously there would still be some reaction, but I'll look into greyhounds now.

And because they're damn cute

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I don't have time to sign up to that site right now, but maybe someone should mention petfinder.com there. They could find just about any breed they want.

I wouldn't recommend against one particular breed for kids, but I wouldn't go so far as to say Cocker spaniels are good with kids and non-biters. That's not been my experience. I'd almost recommend a rescued husky, but probably not for the first time dog owner.

It's also been my experience for the most part, definitely not in every case, female dogs are more patient than male dogs with small kids.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I think it differs from dog to dog. My aunt had the loveliest male cocker spaniel ever, he was ever patient with her two boys, one of whom is turning out to be a bit of nasty character and would hit the dog or pull his ears when he thought his mum wasn't looking, but the dog never even growled at him. Sadly he was hit by a car a few months ago, my uncle still isn't over it
But on the other hand I've known ones that bit and got quite nasty.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I wouldn't call any Cocker spaniel nasty. Some kids really ask for what they get.
If I was a dog, I'd be the type that had "no small kids" on my cage at the shelter. But the fact is, many people expect the dog to take all kinds of stuff from Junior, and Cocker spaniels in general aren't a breed I think of as being super kid tolerant, even though you aunt's was. Sorry to hear he was killed. My sister's dog, who thought he was mine, was hit by a car 2-1/2 years ago and I'm still not over him either.

Just wanted to add, if anyone's making a mention of petfinder.com over there, they usually have marked on each dog's profile if it's good with kids, cats, other dogs, etc.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I wouldn't call any Cocker spaniel nasty. Some kids really ask for what they get.
I agree, this kid needs a bite on the ass in my opinion. He hit him when I was babysitting him once and I flipped my lid and sent him to bed at 5pm
If he doesn't quit it he'll hit the wrong dog one day.

Strange though, because his parents don't condone it and his older brother is really nice to animals and people, it's not like he doesn't have a good example.

I actually think when I have kids I'll wait until they're at the age where they can understand why they shouldn't be rough, it's not fair to the animals but neither is it to children who are too young to understand that pulling themselves up by the dog's ears isn't on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My husband and I adopted Belle, our first greyhound before I got pregnant. We have taught our kids from the time that they started to crawl to be respectfull of our dogs. And while they do a times chase the dogs around the house, when I do catch them doing it I give them a time out. That's about the worse they'll do to the dogs. It's an ongoing process of teaching kids to be gentle to animals, and to give the dogs their space when they are sleeping. Our big boy Dozer, the kids can sit beside him and play while he's on the couch and he's fine with it. Sometimes the larger dogs can be the most gentle, and at 93lbs (which is large for a greyhound) he's a gentle klutz. Every breed of dog has it's own particular quirky qualities, and it's a matter of finding the right dog for you.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I'll just add my two cents - I agree that sticking to greyhounds and pound rescues is the way to go. My family has never gotten a dog from a breeder, and we never will. And greyhounds are very gentle. Most of them are great with kids.

--Fromper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts